You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I've seen a slowed down version of the video now. She's armed with a steak knife or similar, and is a split second away from stabbing another girl in the neck. I don't know how anyone could watch that and think the police officer's actions were anything other than reasonable in the circumstances.

I would say he probably didn't need to fire four times, since he really was there for a very short time and couldn't have read the situation properly to be absolutely sure about using lethal force. On the other hand, it was a split second decision.

But how people and media no longer care about what they see with their own eyes and simply construct their own narrative around it to fit their own agenda is astounding.

22 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

If she tired to stab the other girl its no wonder the copper shot her. If she's endangering someone's life then unlucky for her. 

Mad isn’t it, it’s like living in bizzaro world at times with the way people come out with their theories of what else he should have done. ‘De-escalate’ - she was mid swing, I don’t think there was much time for negotiation.

1 hour ago, Leyton388 said:

If she tired to stab the other girl its no wonder the copper shot her. If she's endangering someone's life then unlucky for her. 

Thank fuck I don't live in that barbaric shithole of a country. 

There's a Far Side cartoon of someone doing an exam for their veterinary degree and the Horses paper is easiest because the answer to everything  (broken leg, hernia, toothache...) is "shoot".

The "black people" paper of the US Police exam must be a piece of piss.

1 hour ago, Geoff Woade said:

Mad isn’t it, it’s like living in bizzaro world at times with the way people come out with their theories of what else he should have done. ‘De-escalate’ - she was mid swing, I don’t think there was much time for negotiation.

What do Police in the UK do?

What do US Police do when white kids are fighting with knives?

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Why would you have a sneaky feeling the guilty verdict wasn't based on the facts?

I said I had a sneaky feeling he would get a lighter/reduced sentence out of the public glare. I said absolutely nothing about him being innocent.You must realise that being a cop,a white one at that,has produced 'favourable' outcomes in similar situations in the past. 

5 minutes ago, PrivateParts said:

What do Police in the UK do?

What do US Police do when white kids are fighting with knives?

1st point I don’t know, looking at that video it would seem a standard UK police officer would be dealing with being a witness to a stabbing and then whatever action immediately followed it. (Standard) American police are authorised to use firearms though so it’s a moot point. 

Second point I don’t know either but I would expect that if a white person was mid swing with a knife and likely to seriously injure / kill someone the same would happen. Do you think he only shot her because she’s black? 

How would you have dealt with it? If you acted indecisively and she’d killed the other girl what would you be saying? 

45 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

1st point I don’t know, looking at that video it would seem a standard UK police officer would be dealing with being a witness to a stabbing and then whatever action immediately followed it. (Standard) American police are authorised to use firearms though so it’s a moot point. 

Second point I don’t know either but I would expect that if a white person was mid swing with a knife and likely to seriously injure / kill someone the same would happen. Do you think he only shot her because she’s black? 

How would you have dealt with it? If you acted indecisively and she’d killed the other girl what would you be saying? 

If I were a Police officer, I probably would have acted in accordance with my training and  (for want of a better word) conditioning; as I suspect this one did.

The point is, there are options short of firing kill-shots which would have been effective, decisive action to end that fight.  In the UK  (or in a US white neighbourhood) we might have seen the use of a baton, or a taser or even a warning shot or a wounding shot. Nothing "bizarro world" about that.

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Nobody seems to care about the life of the girl that was apparently about to be stabbed.

The word "seems" is doing the heavy lifting there.  

I doubt there's anybody who wouldn’t want the Police to do the whole "serve and protect" thing. It's the "shooting black people dead" thing that people get fed up with. 

That is so yesterday - today's was:

The Pasquotank County Sheriff's Office said Wednesday that one of its law enforcement officers had shot and killed a man while trying to conduct a search warrant.

A release from the sheriff's office said the shooting happened in the 400 block of Perry Street in Elizabeth City around 8:30 a.m.

"During the execution of the search warrant, a citizen who was the subject of the search warrant was shot and fatally wounded," the release said.

Demetria Williams, who identified herself as a longtime neighbor of Brown, said he was shot while driving away. 

“He was driving away! Away! Even though they were giving him a search warrant... why did y'all let off on him like that?”