You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evra accuses Suarez of racism

NickConklin

Evra made unsubstantiated claims, and ferguson backed him. For good measure, he also called Suarez a diver to add fuel to the fire.

Now it seems "there was a misunderstanding", and the case might be dropped.

The reputation of one of the world's greatest strikers, and the most important player at your fiercest rivals (who are also showing signs of recovery whilst his team look like they're on the wain), has now been irreversibly damaged with no skin off their nose.

It's not that hard to comprehend.

We may be their fiercest rivals but they have absolutely nothing to gain by embroiling both clubs in a racism row. If they wanted to unsettle a club, surely City are the obvious choice. We are nothing like title challengers this season while City will probably win it.

Why would Utd and Evra do that? What would they gain from it? It's that part of the theory I really don't understand.

Where did I say Utd had anything to gain? And what is the 'theory' only you have referred to?

Utd have had to back Evra simply because he is their player and in my opinion would rather he just dropped it.

If they can extricate themselves from a route that Evra should never have taken them down in their first place without any damage to the club's or the players' integrity then they will be more than happy to accept the conclusion of ' misunderstanding' and allow one of their rival's players to shoulder the inevitable implicit criticism he will attract from now on.

Anyone else reckon this is heading for neither a guilty nor innocent verdict but a "unproven" one? Suarez is going to end up pigeonholed not only as a diver but one who "was the subject of an unproven allegation of racism".

Yes I would say this is the most likely outcome

Glad to see it doesn't seem to be having a detrimental effect on Suarez form so far.

Anyone else reckon this is heading for neither a guilty nor innocent verdict but a "unproven" one? Suarez is going to end up pigeonholed not only as a diver but one who "was the subject of an unproven allegation of racism".

Definitely. Removing any avenue to punish a false claim by Evra but leaving the stigma and element of doubt hanging over Suarez's integrity. Nailed on.

Can anyone give any logical explanation as to why this 'investigation' has ran nearly 5 weeks without conclusion?

The old stay silent until everybody has forgotton and no longer really care?? Its not going to happen though here with both sides pushing for an outcome.

On another note I read a piece in The Guardian last night and one sentance really amused me. "That Suarez was trying to wind up Evra is beyond doubt" it was or words to that effect.Its sort of like saying, even if he is innocent hes still a horrible cunt. The fact Evra seemed to be getting angry over nothing all match seems to have slipped the mind of the stupid bastard

The old stay silent until everybody has forgotton and no longer really care?? Its not going to happen though here with both sides pushing for an outcome.

On another note I read a piece in The Guardian last night and one sentance really amused me. "That Suarez was trying to wind up Evra is beyond doubt" it was or words to that effect.Its sort of like saying, even if he is innocent hes still a horrible cunt. The fact Evra seemed to be getting angry over nothing all match seems to have slipped the mind of the stupid bastard

Spot on lad.

Does it really matter what the Guardian thinks of Suarez? I have no doubt players are continually trying to wind each other up. I know I always do when playing sport - anything to potentially knock my opponent of his game.

They want to make sure they investigate it fully would be my guess. It's a serious allegation and they want to get it right whatever the conclusion.

Definitely. Sky supposedly reported to the FA that no evidence was found from their analysis of footage within a few days of the incident. They'd also have to speak to Luis and Evra, and any witnesses although by all accounts there wasn't any. It takes 5 weeks to study what has been said by the two parties and come to a conclusion?

Can anyone give any logical explanation as to why this 'investigation' has ran nearly 5 weeks without conclusion?

They're working on this -

Definitely. Removing any avenue to punish a false claim by Evra but leaving the stigma and element of doubt hanging over Suarez's integrity. Nailed on.

Definitely. Sky supposedly reported to the FA that no evidence was found from their analysis of footage within a few days of the incident. They'd also have to speak to Luis and Evra, and any witnesses although by all accounts there wasn't any. It takes 5 weeks to study what has been said by the two parties and come to a conclusion?

Sure it's definitely dragged on and they should have dealt with it far quicker but they need to get it right.

Look st the Terry case, cut and dried according to many but that is over two weeks ago now and will drag on longer.

Racism is not to be taken lightly and I would rather they spent a couple of extra days clearing Luis here then come to some shamblolic early guilty verdict. But, yep, on the whole this has gone on long enough.

Sure it's definitely dragged on and they should have dealt with it far quicker but they need to get it right.

Look st the Terry case, cut and dried according to many but that is over two weeks ago now and will drag on longer.

Racism is not to be taken lightly and I would rather they spent a couple of extra days clearing Luis here then come to some shamblolic early guilty verdict. But, yep, on the whole this has gone on long enough.

The Terry case is different though, because the police are investigating, so that has to conclude first before the FA do anything.

No reason for this case to take so long really.

Why would the FA want to leave an element of doubt hanging over Suarez, Randy? I just don't get the conspiracy theories here! Are we really that paranoid as supporters?

We may be their fiercest rivals but they have absolutely nothing to gain by embroiling both clubs in a racism row. If they wanted to unsettle a club, surely City are the obvious choice. We are nothing like title challengers this season while City will probably win it.

You're damaging your credibility here. United hate us and Evra is a petulant twat. Suarez made him look foolish. Revenge and rivalry are plenty of reason to 'embroil' us in a race row, not to mention that these decisions aren't made on a purely logical basis. You're employing excessive logic to a situation instigated by excessive passion. That is what causes these matters but it is never how they are, or ought to be, assessed.

'Turned'? He was always a twat.

I am going a fair way back, when we spoke about Souness and the Sun in his Daily Post days, but he seemed very charming back then.

Two decades of 'Fleet Street' can make anyone turn I suppose.

The bit about twitter being a good vehicle for conversing with your public seems to have passed him by!

You're damaging your credibility here. United hate us and Evra is a petulant twat. Suarez made him look foolish. Revenge and rivalry are plenty of reason to 'embroil' us in a race row, not to mention that these decisions aren't made on a purely logical basis. You're employing excessive logic to a situation instigated by excessive passion. That is what causes these matters but it is never how they are, or ought to be, assessed.

I am not really too concerned about my Internet credibility, Resonator!

Saying that, there is some logic in what you are sayings there. But I just refuse to believe that this is some orchestrated campaign on Utd's behalf. I think it's either a misunderstanding with regard to language or possibly what razor said a couple of pages back. Obviously Utd could have hatched a plan but I just don't see it personally as they have absolutely nothing to gain from it. I could see the logic in them unsettling City or maybe Chelses, but not us.