You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has Torres's betrayal affected your view of our players?

Section_31

Has Torres's fuckery affected your view of our top foreign players?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Has Torres's fuckery affected your view of our top foreign players?

I agree with what you said, I don't think anyone in their right mind likes a badge kisser, but as I said above I think the Torres situation, and the Mascherano situation to a lesser extent, and now even the Tevez situation are different to what has gone before.

We're not talking some kind of Matt Le Tissier figure that has wasted his time at relegation fodder for ten years, if someone like him had fucked off to Liverpool or Arsenal at 27-28 Saints fans probably would have carried him there.

What we got was someone who was idolised refusing to put a shift in and walking around like a two year old who can't play with his favourite fucking toys, landing us without a striker on deadline day to go to a club where he knows he's going to pick up a wedge, and then allowing himself to be paraded on their TV channel in the most vulgar style where he goes on to wax lyrical about how they're a big club which can win things and how there's no emotion left in football.

As I said earlier, it was final confirmation that maybe these people don't deserve that kind of support anymore, or it's something we should be wary of giving out.

To say that this is just the way it is though, is tragic, because that's like saying you only go to a rock concert to listen to the music, you're not particularly arsed about the singer or the band themselves. It's entertainment, but is surely missing 90% of the point.

That's a fair point.

It's regrettable, but I think that's just the way it's going to be until the football bubble bursts. I tend to separate the players and the club. You're right though, its extremely doubtful whether I'll have the same, or even half, attachment to a player as I did with, say, Sami and that type of raw emotion is central to the sport.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reina said that in November/December and their was chaos. Even now, there are people diluting his attacks against the owners because he admits thought about leaving.

Again though, that's because for whatever reasons people felt a trust was betrayed when we were at rock bottom, even if that trust turns out to have been misplaced. I don't know if Pepe ever implied he would only want to play for us like Torres did, but there's a similar force of human nature at work; in supporting these players we identify with them, and Pepe became a bit of a hero for many, and still is even if he does move on, but how a move is perceived would depend how he did it. Going to Arsenal, a rival club with no better immediate prospects than us, would have been a blow. I assume now we've spent a bit and they are floundering he's seeing it differently ten months on.

I'll admit I'm a bit wounded that Pepe wanted to go by the way, but I think I can forgive him, especially if he doesn't!

Edited by zigackly

All it did for me was strengthen an already growing belief that all footballers are purely out for what's best for them and that really we shouldn't expect any more from them.

I fully expect Suarez to be bought for a silly fee at some point but I'm not going to claim betrayal because that's what they're like and at least we get to enjoy him whilst he's here.

Football isn't what is was like when I was a lad but I'm begrudgingly accepting the changes. What's the other option? Get in to Rugby? Fuck that in the arse.

I think all players are cunts with a gross sense of entitlement. I pray for the day the game implodes and sportsmen get a working mans wage. This is a mixture of jealousy on my behalf and disgust. I reckon if it weren't for the fact LFC has been such a prominent part of my whole life id of fucked football off long ago. I'm having one of those days.

My footballing hero was and is Kenny Dalglish. He's never let me down and I doubt he ever will.

I feel very sorry for the younger generation of fans - they might be mostly SkySports blerts, but prick them, do they not bleed?

The game has changed and not at all for the better. In no way is this seen more clearly than the estrangement between player and fan.

Fernando Torres, eh? You can pop onto youtube and watch his 50 goals and revel in the memories and emotions, safe in the knowledge that no-one can ever take them away. Not even him.

Or, you can call him a cunt and dissemble a unique betrayal out of business as usual.

Where you go is as much a reflection on you as him.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

No not really.....we got £50m...so no betrayal there!

The worse case and good call who mentioned Owen....despise the man,i mean Newcastle were the only club to take him on when he was(still is) shite...they go down and said "muliti-millionaire Owen" rather than help the Toon get back in Prem...heads to warm the bench at Old Trafford!

Now thats betrayal!

I think all players are cunts with a gross sense of entitlement. I pray for the day the game implodes and sportsmen get a working mans wage. This is a mixture of jealousy on my behalf and disgust. I reckon if it weren't for the fact LFC has been such a prominent part of my whole life id of fucked football off long ago. I'm having one of those days.

This pretty much represents my view.

Torres, Mascherano, Alonso etc. All three left for clubs they thought would give them more chance of short term success. Just not arsed. If they want to go, let them. I've accepted that almost everything they say is bollocks. Just enjoy them whilst they're here.

What irritates me is that I like football far more than any other sport, yet the game contains more utter wankers then any other.

Yeah, but maybe Torres has given us a lesson in not being delusional about modern players

think theres a lot of Liverpool fans who are a bit wary about Suarez, I personally dont think he sees Liverpool as his big career move, I think he will want to play for the Spanish big 2

Of course if everyone were only robots we could deal with all of this wishy washy stuff quite swiftly and logically, and discuss the precise angle off his boot at which he preferred to strike his goals, like adults.

You might be surprised to learn that the opposite of naive, blinkered and self-absorbed is not robot.

Great posts by Section 31 and Zigackly, share the exact opinion and I can't really elaborate anymore than what they've said.

Whenever I hear someone say they're not bothered he left I always imagine its like a fella who's finished with his fit bird and says "not arsed, she was boring" then goes home and cries into his microwave meal for one.

If you don't feel some sense of betrayal when one of the club's best players pisses off in the middle of the season, at one of the club's lowest points in it's history, to join a bunch of mercenaries, after contributing to the club's decline by half-assing it around the pitch for half a season, then what's the point?

As for it effecting how I feel about our current players: when I watch Suarez play, I think about how disappointed I'll be if he ever loses that passion for the game and turns into just another calculating mercenary dogging it around the pitch angling for a move to another club.

The way Torres left taught me to never become emotionally attached to any Liverpool player. It is isn't the fact that he joined a hated rival or put in a transfer request a few days before deadline, it's because he spent his first 3 years at this club telling the fans he loved them and that this club and city felt like 'home' to him.

But as soon as things became difficult (09/10 season) he immediately began making plans to leave but was forced into staying during Summer 2010 to help the club get sold, but as soon as January came around he was off.

The OP made a good point about Suarez, when he scores/performs well it feels bittersweet to me because with each good performance he gives Real/Barca will be eyeing him up.

Guest ShoePiss

My attitude changed towards players long before Torres left, all players not just foreign ones. Thery are all out there to get as much as they can for themselves/family.

I'm not bitter about it though, when they're gone they're gone. While they're here I'll enjoy their contribution to the team. Enjoy the moment, they can and will be replaced.

Guest ShoePiss
The way Torres left taught me to never become emotionally attached to any Liverpool player. It is isn't the fact that he joined a hated rival or put in a transfer request a few days before deadline, it's because he spent his first 3 years at this club telling the fans he loved them and that this club and city felt like 'home' to him.

But as soon as things became difficult (09/10 season) he immediately began making plans to leave but was forced into staying during Summer 2010 to help the club get sold, but as soon as January came around he was off.

The OP made a good point about Suarez, when he scores/performs well it feels bittersweet to me because with each good performance he gives Real/Barca will be eyeing him up.

Why? Fuck that, every goal he scores and every bit of magic I'll savour and celebrate. When he's gone we'll get someone else to do the same. No reason to be fearful or bitter.

You might be surprised to learn that the opposite of naive, blinkered and self-absorbed is not robot.

There is no "opposite" to robot, you fucking spastic.

Unless you think it might be "human".

I've noticed that you are one of several people on this site who are - at best - approximately 50% as clever as they think they are.

There is no "opposite" to robot, you fucking spastic.

Unless you think it might be "human".

I've noticed that you are one of several people on this site who are - at best - approximately 50% as clever as they think they are.

Haha! Am I in the same bracket?

I think betrayal might be a bit strong but I feel he disrespected Kenny, the players and the fans. Looking at him now though, I think he'll realize / has realized he made a mistake and I think he will end up back in Spain in a couple of seasons. The fifty million we got for him is good business. What does he look like now? £20-£25m given his injury history?

I said in another thread though that as much as great as Suarez is, I'm not going to get too attached. All it takes is a spat with another player, the missus not liking the new house or a bad season and they want away. Its not Luis who has made me feel like that, but the likes of Torres and Tevez.

And for that reason, I'm not gonna let the bitey little genius too close to my heart. I've been hurt before. Prove me wrong Luis!