You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wolves at home match thread

fowler9

fucking phew!

The nervousness from the players on the pitch to the fans in the crowd was felt the whole way to me lying in bed watching this on a lap top.

reina had a few dodgy moments, badly exposed for the goal, just as he had been for the free kick they pulled back to the edge of the box in the first half and Lucas blocked. Kelly had a good first half but was given a hard time by Jarvis in the second but he did well enough. Carragher didn't see much of the ball and was nearly always in the right place and Skrtel gave away a lot of frees as usual but nothing too costly. We dealt well with the high balls and crosses. Enrique was under a lot of pressure second half but I thought he had a really good game. He was unlucky for the goal, he won the ball and it ricocheted off someone and into one of their players path, I thought he was gonna bring him down, he did well not to but the way the rest of the defence and midfield was caught ball watching to leave fletcher unmarked for the pull back is concerning. Enrique was very good though and linked well with downing for most of the game plus he covered well and was strong when he had to be.

henderson did nothing again. Kelly and him had some decent moments in the first half but when he found himself in space and had an opportunity to cross he couldn't beat the first man. kenny is sticking by him though so hopefully he gains confidence and actually starts to do something. Lucas and Adam are getting plenty of stick but I think they are the least of our problems so far this season. Adam is creating and scoring goals, Lucas is tackling and breaking the play up. I'm not Ricky Ricardo and this is not "I love Lucas" but when Kuyt lost the ball near the end and wolves broke down the right who covered across to win the ball back? and who blocked the ball when the free kick was pulled back to the edge of the box and the ball was going in? he also went close with an effort from a carroll knock down. sure, he gives away a lot of frees and loses the ball a bit too much but he has quality as well. Adam uses the ball really well I think and is scoring goals (or making defenders score og's). I'm not worried about Adam and Lucas, it's not perfect but I think it works. Downing probably had his best game for us. Great cross on to carrolls napper, linked up well for give and go's down the line with enrique. Missed a great chance to give us the two goal cushion but in the end it wasn't costly. He out in a lot of crosses today and Carroll was better positioned to attack the balls he put in. He still needs to move up a gear or two though.

Suarez is the man in this team and I can't help but think what we might have if Torres had've stayed. he's starting to find the net again (although he's fucked it all up by getting a straight red today) and when he could be arsed was on a different level to most of the other players we had. Suarez was on a different level to everybody we had on today. He was doing things and not even his own team mates could anticipate what he was going to do or how he was going to open things up for them. man of the match by a mile and a half. even though with his ability he should be finding the net more often he is the difference between us being a mid table team and a top four contender. Some business to get him here and I really can't believe he is ours. Which leaves Andy Carroll from those who started today. I know he wasn't signed as a defender but he got through a mountain of defending today. He won countless headers in our box and worked his hole off. he helped us win today, not by scoring goals but by helping out the defence when he had to and while I'd prefer him banging them in so we're far enough ahead he doesn't need to win every header in our own box, it's a team game and he played a big part today. Still wish he had've pulled the trigger sooner at the end. Good to see Gerrard back, he looked pretty sharp. I think Luis would've liked to have stayed on to link up with Gerrard but Kenny was thinking practically and we needed carroll. Gerrard and suarez will have their time and I can't wait to see it. Kuyt had a cameo to forget. Took the wrong option with a shot when he had an overlap on the left and then gave the ball away down the right when Kelly had pushed up to help him. We won though and that's the main thing.

I agree and it really worries me.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We twatted them, we're not anywhere near being a mid-table team. We hit the bar twice and had loads of opportunities. We're not going to be so sloppy all season. We're a new team, which is still getting to know each other. We'll improve. 10 from 18 isn't ideal, but we have had Arsenal away and Spurs away in that run. We've also had Stoke away, and they've already shown they're no joke and reiterated it today.

There's some real drama queens around these days. I think there's very good days ahead still.

Guest SpiderLucas

I need to watch the game again because I was there so it’s harder to get a real sense for individual performances but from what I saw, Charlie Adam is fucking woeful. He’d only ever be good as part of a 3 man centre midfield, he’s too slow and lightweight to be in a 2 man midfield.

Skrtel hasn’t been the same player since his Man City horrific knee injury and Carragher is finished. The distance between our midfield and defence is starting to become a joke, and that’s down to the “organisation” of Jamie Carragher who makes us sit deep to accommodate for his lack of legs.

Enrique and Kelly were both solid, Enrique is literally the best signing in the Premier League across all clubs, and for me Kelly is ahead of Glen Johnson as our first choice right back.

Lucas had a good game, did his job but I think he needs a more dynamic midfielder next to him so he can make his simple 4 yard passes and let somebody else do the creative stuff; it’s just not in his locker.

Henderson wasn’t great but as I’ve said, a 21 year old Gerrard wouldn’t have been great on right midfield, just the same as Charlie Adam would be a sick joke on left midfield. Jordan Henderson isn’t a right midfielder.

Downing had a decent game; more steady than good. He put in some good balls but even though Andy Carroll had a good game I’d like him to attack the ball more because some of Downing’s crosses are wasted when nobody is on the end of them.

Andy Carroll was a lot better, mainly down to his mobility, he moved around a lot more which is what a lot of us have been crying out for. I liked his link up play and passes; it proves that he isn’t just a target man. I remember at one point he pulled out wide, skinned somebody and whipped a ball in for Suarez.

Suarez was Suarez.

Overall – We played well but not great by any means, it could have been 5-1 just as easily as it could have been 2-2. If we don’t start putting teams to the sword and being more ruthless, we will drop a lot of points this season.

Our biggest problem this season has been killing the game when we have the upper hand (spurs aside).

There are areas we need to improve and I am sure we will see more from this team as the season progresses.

We played better at Stoke than we did today and lost, today we won, as we stumbled at times in the second half.

I need to watch the game again because I was there so it’s harder to get a real sense for individual performances but from what I saw, Charlie Adam is fucking woeful. He’d only ever be good as part of a 3 man centre midfield, he’s too slow and lightweight to be in a 2 man midfield.

Skrtel hasn’t been the same player since his Man City horrific knee injury and Carragher is finished. The distance between our midfield and defence is starting to become a joke, and that’s down to the “organisation” of Jamie Carragher who makes us sit deep to accommodate for his lack of legs.

Enrique and Kelly were both solid, Enrique is literally the best signing in the Premier League across all clubs, and for me Kelly is ahead of Glen Johnson as our first choice right back.

Lucas had a good game, did his job but I think he needs a more dynamic midfielder next to him so he can make his simple 4 yard passes and let somebody else do the creative stuff; it’s just not in his locker.

Henderson wasn’t great but as I’ve said, a 21 year old Gerrard wouldn’t have been great on right midfield, just the same as Charlie Adam would be a sick joke on left midfield. Jordan Henderson isn’t a right midfielder.

Downing had a decent game; more steady than good. He put in some good balls but even though Andy Carroll had a good game I’d like him to attack the ball more because some of Downing’s crosses are wasted when nobody is on the end of them.

Suarez was Suarez.

Overall – We played well but not great by any means, it could have been 5-1 just as easily as it could have been 2-2. If we don’t start putting teams to the sword and being more ruthless, we will drop a lot of points this season.

Gerrard was brilliant when he played there as a youngster.

Guest SpiderLucas
Gerrard was brilliant when he played there as a youngster.

Yeah but as a centre midfielder he was always better, much better. He’s one of the world’s best central midfielders but he isn’t even close to being one of the world’s best right sided midfielders. Just because you’re able to play a different position, doesn’t mean you’re able to play that position well.

Hendo is a centre midfielder and it’s as simple as that.

Our biggest problem this season has been killing the game when we have the upper hand (spurs aside).

There are areas we need to improve and I am sure we will see more from this team as the season progresses.

We played better at Stoke than we did today and lost, today we won, as we stumbled at times in the second half.

Thats the thing, we wiped the floor with stoke and lost, but united who barely deserved a point ground it out. We need to do that.

anyone who doesn't kiss dalglish's arse is a manc or bitter according to this board. The man is a relic and should of never been given the manager's job. The club will be looking for a new manager in 2 years or less.

There's 'arse kissing' and then there's 'respect'. If you can't work within the margins then I pity anyone who buys you a beer.

We twatted them, we're not anywhere near being a mid-table team. We hit the bar twice and had loads of opportunities. We're not going to be so sloppy all season. We're a new team, which is still getting to know each other. We'll improve. 10 from 18 isn't ideal, but we have had Arsenal away and Spurs away in that run. We've also had Stoke away, and they've already shown they're no joke and reiterated it today.

There's some real drama queens around these days. I think there's very good days ahead still.

Precisely.

There's 'arse kissing' and then there's 'respect'. If you can't work within the margins then I pity anyone who buys you a beer.

In one.

Some of the stuff on this thread is pathetic.

Anyone can have concerns about formations, some players etc. But...anyone who cannot see that things are MUCH better now than they were a year ago is blind or just stupid....with Kirkdale Rick my bet is on the latter.

anyone who doesn't kiss dalglish's arse is a manc or bitter according to this board. The man is a relic and should of never been given the manager's job. The club will be looking for a new manager in 2 years or less.

Well why don't you do us all a favour, and fuck off until then?

There's a reason your bar is red, it's because you talk shite.

Sadly, I fear we will be sloppy next match as well, because we have been sloppy in all 6 games so far. We have some anonymous midfielders and today had 2 shaky central defenders. It was so bad that even an enthusiastic youngster like Kelly looked scared to be adventurous.

We've also not had Chelsea, Man U, Man City so far. We are a new team, but some of the new players should be subs at best. Our team looks paper thin down the middle, which is so annoying after years of great central players and no width.

Thats the thing, we wiped the floor with stoke and lost, but united who barely deserved a point ground it out. We need to do that.

After the Tottenham match you were screaming like a big fucking girl and now after we get do get 3 points you are still moaning about the fucking Stoke match. As you were so happy to tell us at great length, we aren't on the Scum's level and they are light years ahead of us, so why do you insist on always comparing our results to theirs?

Having not seen the match,I have no comment to make.

I can,however,comment on the fact that,once again,there are some desperately dreadful posts in this thread.

Watch the highlights and you'll see us make plenty of chances, score 2 goals and hold on to a game we should have buried. End of story.

Fuck the mongs.

I think a lot of our problem lies not having a defender who is comfortable with the ball at his feet. Reina has no option without Agger. Carra and Skrtel just want to boot it forwards. A defender that can play his way forward is a priority now. I hope Coates is our answer, otherwise forget having a midfield as it will be bypassed each week. Some say we have reverted to this because we have Carroll upfront but that is tosh. We were playing it high and long to Kuyt when he came on.

Today I was losing my patience with Adam. It is clear to most that he is has no defensive midfield duty. His apparent lack of fitness, i.e. chasing back when he loses it is criminal. Against a better team today we would have lost today because we have a centre midfield not good enough against the better teams that put them under pressure.

When Gerrard was coming on I like most were thinking this is the end of Adam's time on the field for this one, but alas no; Kenny takes off the best player on the park for Gerrard to make his long awaited league comeback. Imagine the stick Rafa would have got if he made that decision from the stands. Kenny can do no wrong in most eyes but he has to start standin up and admitting some mistakes of late. Unlike Rafa tactically he doesnt seem to want to chance his hand changing things bringing on a sub. He is going to have to do this earlier. Stoke away, Spurs away and today Kenny guilty of not changing things quick enough.

Today he took too long to get Kuyt on to replace Henderson. I feel sorry for Jordan in a way, he clearly is not a right midfielder in our current set up. He left Kelly very exposed which then people start gettin on Kelly's back which is not justified if he is not getting help from his team mate infront of him.

Henderson to me looks comfortable on the ball, he doesnt give the ball away cheaply but goes missing in most of our gams. Clearly it is confidence thing which Kenny is trying to play out of him. It is a heck of an gamble. I personally believe he would be more suited in the middle alongside Lucas in this side. Adam for me should not be in this side once our captain returns. His lack of pace and covering is going to cost us. It did at Spurs and it was highlighted again today.

As for Downing; some have said he had his best game for us today. I disagree. Again he went missin for long periods.

Carroll, well it was embarrasin his last effort. At least he came to the Kop and returned the applause before he walked off. The jury is still out.

As for Suarez - what a player. Worth the gate money alone. He is the difference for us and there is no argument to that.

As I said to my mate after the game, its amazing we come out of the ground complaining about the performance even though we won. Its all down to our expectation level and the fact we think we should play teams like Wolves off the park. As Stoke proved today there is no sure thing in this game so maybe this year lets just sit back and enjoy the ride. We are clearly going through a transitional period and we have to give Kenny and the team time.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about things at the moment.

In response to a couple of the points I've seen here: to say we're a mid-table team without Suarez is a little short sighted particularly as our captain returned this week, a world class player who usually has the same credentials thrown at him that Suarez is now getting. Even if we were a mid-table team, which we quite clearly aren't, then the addition of two, world-class match-winners of Suarez and Gerrard's ability would lift any team up a level. Throw in attacking players such as Kuyt, Downing, Adam, Bellamy, Carroll and Maxi and we have the foundation of a top four team, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind about that.

Our start has been steady but not spectacular, that's fair, but to start making such rash judgements and doom-mongering after 6 games is utter madness in my opinion.

I find the impatience and desire for instant gratification deplorable.

Still don't understand why we took Suarez off at that point in the game, and there are still hints that we are easily rocked when things don't go our way, but on another day we could have had 4 or 5, so it's best to just take the win and be happy with it.

I still think there's a concern that Suarez didn't get a proper summer break for the second year running and there's a risk of burning him out. Although I realise he had a substantial rest when he was suspended for Ajax just before he signed for us.

Just watched extended highlights on sky - I know it's not the same as being at the game, but I can't understand why there's so much negativity on here. It's a new team that's not playing with confidence yet, on another day we go in 3 or 4 up at half time and the game's finished. As against Brighton we hit the woodwork a few times and their keeper makes a couple of blinders. Before someone says it, I know it's an Internet thread where people are entitled to share their views ......and I don't have to come on here to read them ....bla, bla....but seriously let's spread a bit more cheer on hear! I'd take a 2-1 battle every time (not that it seemed much of a battle today) and worry about how convincing our wins were after we've got back in to Champions League football. It wasn't long ago when we were drawing and even losing these games without creating anything and at the same time wondering if the club would go into administration. Tottenham was the only game we've played so far this season that we've deserved to lose. The rest of the games we've been on top, created lots of chances but been unlucky. It will come if we're patient and keep backing the team. Unity was always a key factor of the club's success in the 70s and 80s - the negative vibes don't help anyone.

Very happy that we got 3 points in the end, but I'm not happy at all with the 2nd half.

Kenny is a legend, but his decisionmaking from the sidelines seems a bit off at times. We NEED to make substitutes earlier! Everyone could see that we struggled greatly at around 60 minutes, and that's when Gerrard and Kuyt was needed. In almost every game this season I've felt that substitutes should have been made earlier to make a real impact on the game. Why must we wait until 75 minutes to make a substitution?

Henderson -> Gerrard

Adam -> Spearing

Carroll -> Kuyt

Those substitutes, around 60-70 minutes, would have made much more sense in terms of keeping a solid grip on the game. Our midfield was non-existent at times, and we invited way too much pressure on ourselves.

What is the point in letting Gerrard play 10 minutes, by the way? If he's on the bench, he should be 100% fit. If Kenny intends to let him start against Everton next week, he should have gotten at least half an hour today.

Anyway, that's the end of this rant.