You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucas ineffective, though did have a hand in a goal. Back 5 played well together - especially pleased for Kelly.

Lucas made 16 tackles today and 4 interceptions, the former statistic equalling twice as much as any other player in our squad. It boggles my mind that people think our current midfield could survive without Lucas, nobody else comes close to doing the defensive work he does. He was ace for the second goal as well.

Great result for us today which should be duly celebrated... we've got the pricks on Sky to try and drag us down with caveats. Doesn't matter if they went down to ten and had injury problems, we still had to go out and win, and that's a fucking great three points to have under our belts already.

Enrique was ace, Downing looked quality, Meireles should start next week without a shadow of a doubt... Agger was good, Kelly was ace, hardly even knew Carra was playing which is brilliant for a defender, and I thought Kuyt's movement was really good early on. The only negatives would be that I think Adam is trying too hard at the moment, and I don't really see how Carroll fits in to the team... but fuck that for today! We're off and running. Let's enjoy it.

Lucas made 16 tackles today and 4 interceptions, the former statistic equalling twice as much as any other player in our squad. It boggles my mind that people think our current midfield could survive without Lucas, nobody else comes close to doing the defensive work he does. He was ace for the second goal as well.

Played a quality long pass in the build-up to the first too. He bossed the midfield today and deserves great credit.

Franck Ribery in Sky studio - never knew he had a Manc accent.

without Suarez we look like a team of plodders no pace no imagination nothing special, put on Suarez and everything changes hopefully we will see him link up with Gerrard one day soon.

Enrique looks boss, about time we got a real bargain in the transfer market looks like he was born to be our leftback.

Downing is a lot better than I though he would be,

Adam is a poor man's Alonso,

Henderson looks neat and tidy but nothing special yet!

a good win but Arsenal were there for the taking and we made hard work of it

Guest SpiderLucas

Anybody any clue as to who Raul stuck the finger up to? Because it was blatant by his facial expression that it was aimed at somebody. Lucas ran over straight away so maybe it was just a bit of banter.

Great result - too much graft and not enough craft until the last 20 minutes but overall tactics seemed to work just fine. Frimpong is a ridiculous character and a poor man's, slightly angrier Mr T to boot. Arsenal have no identity and no leaders, it will be a grim season for them.

Am wondering whether it would have been better to pay the tax than spend the money on Carroll at the moment, but I'm sure Kenny has a plan..

Just reading The Guardians comments section for the game, a lot of the bellends on their quite dismissive of our team. I don't think we were great today, but I swear to God, if we actually come to believe in ourselves, and go out and take the game to every team that we face off against, we are in for a good season.

Anybody any clue as to who Raul stuck the finger up to? Because it was blatant by his facial expression that it was aimed at somebody. Lucas ran over straight away so maybe it was just a bit of banter.

My 13 year old looked thoroughly bored until Raul did that - he jumped up and made me rewind the sky box to point it out. 13 year olds love the finger

He's fucking class and was his usual excellent self today aswell. Love him.

Great result for us today which should be duly celebrated... we've got the pricks on Sky to try and drag us down with caveats. Doesn't matter if they went down to ten and had injury problems, we still had to go out and win, and that's a fucking great three points to have under our belts already.

Enrique was ace, Downing looked quality, Meireles should start next week without a shadow of a doubt... Agger was good, Kelly was ace, hardly even knew Carra was playing which is brilliant for a defender, and I thought Kuyt's movement was really good early on. The only negatives would be that I think Adam is trying too hard at the moment, and I don't really see how Carroll fits in to the team... but fuck that for today! We're off and running. Let's enjoy it.

No one is denying that we need a Lucas type player... just that we can improve in that area. He gave the ball away far too much today and I`d have him as backup.

Arsenal walked through the centre of our midfield very easily today. Lucas is miles away from being a truly effective defensive midfielder in that team. If Adam's the other one in there, we need a stronger and more savvy player than Lucas.

And as for Kuyt's really good movement early on, please watch the first 20 minutes again and tell me you stick with that view. His performance was comically bad, and he set up more Arsenal attacks than their own players did.

Still, we won, which is after all the point. :)

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Arsenal walked through the centre of our midfield very easily today.

I don't agree with that at all, to be honest. Much of their good play didn't go anywhere near the centre of the pitch, either.

Players who gave the ball away more than Lucas today:

Henderson

Adam

Kuyt

Carroll

Not that I saw. The thing with Lucas is he gives the ball away in dangerous and often unnecessary positions couple with some daft tackles; usually on the edge of our own box.

Kuyt had a poor game today but as for Carroll, half the "balls he gave away" were punts to him. I actually thought Carroll was better than people are making out today.