You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

mi2061

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's nicknamed 'El Toro' (The Bull) due to his speed and physical prowess. He explains: "The nickname was given to me by a teammate in the Spanish U21s, Juanfran. It is a nickname that does not bother me; on the contrary, it is a compliment."

Sounds like Ngog has got some competition in the dressing room now.

Just echoing what Dave U said that wages were holding up deal. Should be a decent watch tomorrow

Tony Barrett 1 minute ago

Tom Werner, the co-owner and chairman of Liverpool, has become the latest member of the club’s hierarchy to call on Uefa to make football more competitive by stringently upholding the soon-to-be implemented Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules.

John W. Henry, Liverpool’s principal owner, and Ian Ayre, the chief executive, have gone on record about the need for European football’s governing body to ensure that the rules have teeth, and Werner has added his voice to their demands.

In a wide-ranging and upbeat interview to be screened on the club’s official TV channel tonight, Werner discusses the progress that Liverpool have made since the takeover by Fenway Sports Group (FSG) last autumn and the positive impact that Kenny Dalglish has had since his appointment as manager in January.

His admission that the prospect of FFP being implemented was one of the factors that attracted FSG to invest in English football yet again underlines its desire to ensure that Liverpool live within their financial means.

Although Dalglish’s summer spending will rise to almost £50 million once the formalities of José Enrique’s £5.5 million transfer from Newcastle United are completed, FSG sees this large-scale investment as a one-off necessity to give Liverpool the opportunity of competing with Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea. But it is hoping that FFP will allow them to pursue a more prudent strategy in the coming years.

“It will make the sport more competitive,” Werner said. “Part of our assumption when we came in last year was that financial fair play was coming into existence and that we’d hope it would have some teeth.”

Enrique lowered his initial pay demands significantly before agreeing terms on a four-year contract and will complete the move today, subject to the outcome of a medical.

Werner believes the left back will be working for a manager in Dalglish who has the kind of natural leadership skills that players inevitably respond to, and joining a club who have a bright future after a turbulent period in their history.

“I think the most important thing, and it may seem obvious, is put a quality product for your fans,” Werner said. “It’s been our goal to try to improve our position on the pitch, and to try and create an environment for players to say they want to play in Liverpool.

“I can’t think of somebody who embodies the relentlessness and the drive and the attitude of excellence better than Kenny. Obviously we knew of him before we met him.

“I think he is a natural leader. I’ve had the privilege to watch him as he trains the men at Melwood. And I just think he’s so charismatic and he’s been able to instil a sense of purpose into the club, and when he says something I think people listen.”

You've gotta hand to FSG. They've backed Kenny to the hilt. Fair play to them.

Made up about Enrique. Was slightly concerned that either Barca or Arsenal (after they sold Clichy) were gonna come in for him and that Champs league football would be the pull for him to join either one of them.

Our left hand side over the past few years has been totally shite. Only Riise and a fit Harry Kewell were decent. Now we have Enrique and Downing. We're gonna be in one hell of a treat.

We've got a superb array of full backs at the club. The best two in league in Enrique and Kelly, with Flanagan and Robinson waiting in the wings.

Now it's time to get rid of Aurelio and Insua of the wage bill. Aurelio is actually a class act, but is just a complete waste of time being a cripple.

Gonna be interesting if Johnson can get himself back into the team.

Deffo good signing.

But if we sell the classy Frenchman we need another backup Striker.

We have a classy Frenchman???

The classy Frenchman should of taken the money offered by Sunderland and fucked off earlier in the window.

There still might be one more new arrival yet.Even when this deal was going on last night,there was a word going around about Dann,apparently if we can get a couple of the floating turds out,then we going/getting him.

It wasnt just the odd person saying it either,it was quiet a few including a reporter.

Never understood what all the fuss was about with Aurelio, even without his injuries his level was never anything above mediocre. Decent passer, sometimes looks like scoring from a free kick but doesn't, bog average at the back, not especially fast.

Must have been watching a different player to me mate. He's technically a brilliant player, maybe not the quickest but he makes up for it with his natural ability and reading of the game. A massive shame hes so injury prone but i suppose thats the reason he was released from Valencia in the first place

I'm with Section, he's decent but the way people carry on you'd think aurellio was ashley cole but the injuries kept him back.

Made up with Enrique.

Just hope we get the CB in we need and then thats it.

Our starting eleven is now a very very good one, if it gels we could do something

Never understood what all the fuss was about with Aurelio, even without his injuries his level was never anything above mediocre. Decent passer, sometimes looks like scoring from a free kick but doesn't, bog average at the back, not especially fast.

That's all true, and it underlines how badly we've needed a good leftback for a long time.

When fit, Aurelllio is one of the best left backs in the league.

Just a shame that he's rarely fit.

Insua will be farmed out now I'd assume. Isn't Aurellio's contract up at the end of the season anyway? Can't see us renewing it again, isn't he like 31 now? Rafa had the right idea with the pay-as-you-play offer he made him.