You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny Dalglish set for 2 year Liverpool deal and funds

Wor Horse

According to tomorrow's Daily Express.

LIVERPOOL GIVE KENNY DALGLISH TWO-YEAR DEAL

Kenny Dalglish has been offered a two-year contract at Liverpool

Sunday March 13,2011

By John Richardson

KENNY DALGLISH has been offered a two-year deal and substantial transfer funds to become Liverpool’s permanent manager.

The 60-year-old Kop legend, who has transformed the club’s fortunes since replacing the sacked Roy Hodgson in January, had asked American owners John W Henry and Tom Werner for a four-year deal. Henry and Werner were reluctant to look beyond two years but have promised a review if progress continues to be made under Dalglish.

Sunday Express Sport can reveal that Steve Clarke, who was brought in as a coach to work alongside Dalglish by Damien Comolli, Liverpool’s director of football strategy, is on a three-and-a-half-year contract.

It is understood that Dalglish wants a lucrative financial package to compensate for a lack of long-term security. Those negotiations are still going on. Anfield commercial director Ian Ayre has been the conduit between the owners and Dalglish, travelling to the USA last week.

Dalglish has told the Liverpool board he must have a hefty transfer kitty available this summer to strengthen his inherited squad. Henry and Werner displayed their commitment to the club in the January transfer window, splashing the £50 million they received from Chelsea for Fernando Torres on Ajax’s Luis Suarez and Newcastle’s Andy Carroll.

They have told Dalglish they will repeat their transfer largesse in the summer – Comolli is already working on a number of big-name targets.

The owners are delighted with the progress under Dalglish, culminating in last Sunday’s 3-1 victory over Manchester United.

While Dalglish hoped to be rewarded with a four-year contract, he is ready to say yes to a two-year deal, providing the figures add up – both personally and in the transfer market.

Read more: Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Sport | Football

I doubt I've wanted something more than this. Although I can't see that being true; Kenny throwing out ultimatums!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I want this to be true in principle - this article is complete and utter bollocks.

Take this line - "Steve Clarke, who was brought in as a coach to work alongside Dalglish by Damien Comolli" - that's completely incorrect. Dalglish bought in Clarke and in one of the many videos I've uploaded he definitely said how he talked to Clarke on the phone on the Sunday and he was at training on the Monday morning and it showed how committed and keen Clarke was to work with LFC etc but Clarke is Dalglish's signing.

In my experience when an article is full of big factual holes like this one - and it comes from the Express - then it's just made up. They make a fuck of a lot up at that paper, always have done.

Guest davelfc

Surprise, surprise (as Cilla would say in that heavy uber scouse accent) A journo writing bullshit.

No way on Fowlers green earth would Kenny be asking for "a lucrative financial package to compensate for a lack of long-term security" That's so much bullshit it's hardly worth bothering with the article.

As someone else said, Kenny would have come back for nothing to help this club.

Guest davelfc
I'm not sure about that, Kenny was renowned for being very difficult to negotiate with when he was a player.

That was probably because they couldn't understand him, luckily they have Carra to translate now.

I'm not sure about that, Kenny was renowned for being very difficult to negotiate with when he was a player.

Er... really?

When Kenny was a player there was never any protracted negotiations over his contracts, he offered, true story, to sign the contract and leave the club to fill in the numbers. He said to PBR I trust you completely and he meant it.

Care to cite your source or some basis? I have an open mind I'm willing to hear out your reasons for claiming he was renowned for being difficult to negotiate with but I have a lot of info and quotes to the contrary so I'd be surprised if that were the case if it is.

Er... really?

When Kenny was a player there was never any protracted negotiations over his contracts, he offered, true story, to sign the contract and leave the club to fill in the numbers. He said to PBR I trust you completely and he meant it.

Care to cite your source or some basis? I have an open mind I'm willing to hear out your reasons for claiming he was renowned for being difficult to negotiate with but I have a lot of info and quotes to the contrary so I'd be surprised if that were the case if it is.

Not according to Bob Paisley. He said he was the most difficult player he had to deal with, he knew his worth when it came to a new contract and demanded that he was paid it.

And where can I find that quote from Bob Paisley? I have a pretty wide range of LFC books including a couple on Paisley and I don't have that quote. Which is not to say it's not true perhaps it is but you must have got it from somewhere yes - so can you tell me where as I've not seen it?

It goes 100% against everything in Kenny's book.

It also contradicts the fact Kenny said he accepted the caretaker job when he got the phone call by saying "yes" and that despite reports - he actually made no demands at all.

And where can I find that quote from Bob Paisley? I have a pretty wide range of LFC books including a couple on Paisley and I don't have that quote. Which is not to say it's not true perhaps it is but you must have got it from somewhere yes - so can you tell me where as I've not seen it?

It goes 100% against everything in Kenny's book.

It also contradicts the fact Kenny said he accepted the caretaker job when he got the phone call by saying "yes" and that despite reports - he actually made no demands at all.

He said it in a TV interview and Alan Hansen has also referred to it. Paisley was laughing about it when he said it, it wasn't meant as a criticism of him.

He said it in a TV interview and Alan Hansen has also referred to it. Paisley was laughing about it when he said it, it wasn't meant as a criticism of him.

I know it's not a criticism - I don't think there is anything wrong in being a tough negotiator, far from it. I'm genuinely interested in insights into these people - and as I said this just contradicts what I've heard.

I have more footage, tv interviews, documentaries and old matches of LFC - than anyone I know lol - my hard drive is groaning under the strain. If you can tell me what TV show or even the year I may have it and if not I can probably track it down. So let me know as I'm genuinely interested. Cheers.