You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

No he got subbed off in most of those too.

Raúl Meireles Profile, Statistics, News, Game Log - Liverpool, English Premier League - ESPN Soccernet

I'm sure its not a big deal, it was just something someone mentioned that was odd.

Like Jovanovic then, I hope we won't have to sub him every game, because Jovanovic & Torres will never last a full 90, they'll always get subbed, if we've got this Meireles fella aswell who can't handle 90 minutes what can we do? Not much room to play with subs then really.

Him and the left back were the two Portugal players in S.Africa that really stood out for me. That said, that could be partly explained by the fact that he looks like a malnourished member of a prison 6-a-side team, rather than somebody who earns his living playing football.

If it means that we don't ever again have to witness Lucas and Poulsen standing on each others toes for 60 minutes, then that alone is cause for optimism.

I've yet to see a single Porto supporter express regret that he's left. I'll not be getting excited just yet. I'd much rather us have gone for Defour or Banega.

How many Porto fans do you know? I know quite a few portugeuse footy fans, probably more than supporters of any other league and they all rate him and the Porto fans are gutted he's gone, especially as he was one of their own and the Benfica fans are made up but some are wary of the impact Joao Moutinho could have.

I know them from when they linked to a site I used to go on, but our site closed down for admin reasons whereas theirs is still going strong. One of them I would consider a mate, the rest I just know from the site.

Him and the left back were the two Portugal players in S.Africa that really stood out for me. That said, that could be partly explained by the fact that he looks like a malnourished member of a prison 6-a-side team, rather than somebody who earns his living playing football.

If it means that we don't ever again have to witness Lucas and Poulsen standing on each others toes for 60 minutes, then that alone is cause for optimism.

Happy to say I spotted David Luiz and Fabio Coentrao at very early ages, sad to say Liverpool didn't. There's another lad coming through the Benfica youth now to keep an eye on not getting the press that Luiz did but still looks class his name is Miguel Vitor and he's currently on loan at Leicester. When he was younger he looked class but never got to break into the first team so they've loaned him out since. I get the feeling he could be one of those players that someone gives a chance to and gets more than they may have expected.

Disclaimer: I thought Coentrao was going to be a winger as that's where he caught my eye.

A hunch

Em, you're listening to too much Woody Guthrie. The dust bowl is over, there's all nice trees (well, probably buildings) there now. Cheer up, lad!

Start listening to 2Unlimited or something. The season's going to be alright. (There's no limits to what we can achieve! Get ready for this! It's going to be magic, friend!)

This is how Rory Smith reckons we'll line up in midfield/attack:

Poulson Meireles

Maxi/Dirk Gerrard Cole

Torres

Roy Hodgson shows forward thinking by signing Raul Meireles for £10.7m - Telegraph

By the hyper-inflated standards of football's age of excess, the £10.7 million Liverpool will pay FC Porto for Raúl Meireles is barely enough to cause a ripple in the transfer market. Its impact, though, could be seismic.

By Rory Smith

Published: 11:00PM BST 28 Aug 2010

Three months after Rafael Benítez was deposed from his Anfield throne, Roy Hodgson's template for Liverpool's renaissance is becoming apparent.

To assert that Meireles, a Portuguese international of considerable repute and, at 27, in the prime of his career, will be a success in the Premier League is to indulge in astrology, but his arrival does at least indicate that Hodgson has identified the weakness which ultimately cost Liverpool their status among Europe's elite and his predecessor his job.

What Liverpool have lacked in recent years – even when the midfield axis of Javier Mascherano and Xabi Alonso was at its destructive, creative best – is dynamism.

Moving Steven Gerrard into an advanced trequartista role behind Fernando Torres elicited the best from the England international, but came at the cost of robbing Liverpool of impetus from deep, of the thrust particularly vital in the frenetic world of the Premier League.

That is exactly what Meireles provides. First for Boavista, then for Porto and Portugal, his role has been to prompt attacks, not with the range of passing that makes Alonso such a rare gem, but with his relentless energy, his movement, his thrust. Whereas the Basque controlled space, Meireles fills it. If he can replicate the form which earned him the move, the Portuguese will bring an end to the sight of Liverpool lost in stasis.

It is too soon, of course, to suggest that a pairing of Meireles and Christian Poulsen, another new arrival, are suitable heirs for the players so long – and, judging by their new employers, rightly – proclaimed by the Kop as the best midfield in the world. As a duo, though, they possess the characteristics to thrive.

Whereas Mascherano is an attack dog of a midfield player, hunting down and ruthlessly eliminating his targets, Poulsen exists to guard, patrolling in front of the back four, positioning himself and picking off danger. The Dane will control Liverpool's shape, switch the angles of attack. He will play in the horizontal. Meireles adds a vertical element.

Despite the failed flirtation with 4-4-2 at Eastlands, Hodgson seems likely to employ his two most recent signings in the 4-2-3-1 with which the bulk of his squad are familiar. Gerrard will return to his role behind Torres, with the bustle of Dirk Kuyt or the finesse of Maxi Rodríguez on the right.

Joe Cole will, nominally, be stationed on the left, but it is an article of faith with Hodgson to allow his wide players a degree of fluidity. There will be no restrictions on the England player's freedom of movement, as there were in those days at Chelsea where he struggled to impose his authority on games. Liverpool's most naturally gifted technician ought not to be sacrificed.

Yet while the capture of Meireles – and Paul Konchesky, who arrived on Merseyside for a medical on Saturday ahead of a £3 million move – provide an answer to where Liverpool are heading on the pitch, they serve as a reminder that only questions remain off it.

Most poignant, as the transfer window draws to a close, is the inquiry as to why Hodgson's revolution did not begin to take shape until the final weekend of August. He was, after all, supposed to have £12 million to spend upon taking the job, plus whatever money is raised through sales, currently £16 million.

When Mascherano, who arrived in Barcelona on Saturday for his medical, signs for the Spanish champions, the total sum supposedly available to Hodgson should stand at £50 million. Yet the captures of Meireles and Konchesky take the club's outlay this summer to £24.2 million. As always at Liverpool, something does not add up.

Since Benítez decided to sell Robbie Keane back to Tottenham for £16 million in January 2009, Liverpool have recouped some £80 million in sales.

Mascherano's departure will take that figure to £102 million. The Spaniard and Hodgson between them have spent just £59.8 million, when Meireles and Konchesky are factored in, in the last 18 months.

At a club where both Tom Hicks, the co-owner, and Christian Purslow, the managing director, have asserted that the "player fund" is sacrosanct, in theory Hodgson should have £40 million burning a hole in his pocket. It is safe to assume he does not.

For all that Meireles represents a coup for Liverpool, a putsch is required before Hodgson's renaissance can truly take hold.

Damn right mate and that i'm delighted with.

The thing that always struck me about Merieles is that he's a jack of all trades and a master of none, what i mean is that he can play as DM or CM, can defend to a certain extent but breaks forward alot. But he is not great at either, i dunno mate sure as you said an upgrade on Lucas and im delighted about that, surely he will offer more than 3 players you mentioned, i hope so.

If im honest i was gutted when i heard we were signing him but sure i hope he proves me wrong, perfectly happy to come on here with egg on my face.

You're perfectly happy to come on here every day with a big, drooping cheesy bellend sprouting out of your head, so I doubt egg would make much difference.

Portugal coach Carlos Queiroz: Liverpool have signed 'the complete player' in Raul Meireles

International coach expects £11.5m man to thrive at Anfield...

By Victor Vago

31 Aug 2010 08:00:00

Raúl Meireles

EXCLUSIVE

Portuguese national team coach Carlos Queiroz has hailed Liverpool’s signing of Raul Meireles from Porto, declaring that the player will be a great addition at Anfield.

Liverpool splashed out £11.5 million on the Portuguese international midfielder on Sunday and expect him to help fill the gap left by the departure of Javier Mascherano to Barcelona.

Meireles shone for Queiroz's side at the World Cup in the summer, and the former Manchester United assistant and Real Madrid coach told Goal.com that Liverpool supporters have much to look forward to.

“I think Raul Meireles is a fantastic player in the national team," said Queiroz.

"He’s one of the pillars of the Portugal team. He’s a great player and an excellent professional.

“He has all the conditions to be a success in English football at Liverpool. They have just signed the services of a player who stands out for his application, his professional dedication, his technical and footballing quality, and will be very successful for the Liverpool team.”

Meireles, 27, had six successful years at Porto; where he won four Portuguese league titles, three Portuguese Cups and three Portuguese Supercups. During that time he played 153 times in all competitions, scoring 15 goals, and has played 38 times for Portugal, scoring six goals.

“He’s a box-to-box midfielder, he’s hard-working, creative, is a good finisher, he’s consistent, very solid, a great team player,” said Queiroz.

Meireles’ qualities also extend to his approach off the pitch, according to the 57-year-old, who said: “He’s a great person who is serious, he’s a player who has a lot of capacity to communicate. He’ll be a great reinforcement for the Liverpool team.”

Deadly in red | Raul Meireles played for Queiroz's Portugal at the World Cup

But Queiroz also warned against any expectation that Meireles could contribute in the same way as the tough-tackling Mascherano had in his time at Liverpool.

He added: “Every player needs his space and time. He’s Raul Meireles, not Javier Mascherano.

“He’s a player who plays very well at both ends of the pitch, is good at defensive duties, but is also an attacking player with a very good nose for goal. He plays very well defensively and in attack. He’s a complete player.”

Meireles will be expected to strike up a good understanding with Liverpool's captain and midfield stalwart Steven Gerrard, and Queiroz insists this will not be a problem.

“All great players can play with great players," said Queiroz. "Steven Gerrard is a great player, and Raul Meireles is a great player, too.”