You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If SG Goes, Should Carra Be Captain Automatically? If Not, Who And Why?

aiyic

Mascherano's sending off at OT was exactly when a captain was needed. Alonso was more of a captain that day to Mascherano's pretensions to be a leader in questioning Torres' booking.

As for SG, went missing. He should have had words with the ref about the rough treatment, and subsequent booking of Torres - which would have meant Mascherano wouldn't have gotten involved. But when he did, Alonso tried to nip it in the bud, and not Gerrard.

This is exactly how important a captain is; showing up for his team-mates when injustices are being meted out, and calming wound-up players down.

My feeling is that Pepe is the perfect character to deal with such things, but unfortunately is not running around in the thick of things to have a finger on the pulse of anxious situations.

Where's the poll? Give it to the big baldy legend, even if Gerrard stays.

ACHTUNG Mods! Can we set up a poll - Who should be the next permanent captain (regardless?) if Stevie goes?

Pepe

Agger

Carra

Johnson

Lucas

Torres

Kuyt

Mascherano ? (defo going surely)

I understand people wanting Pepe as Captain, but what has changed peoples minds about Carra being Captain? he seems the natural choice.

I'm not even 100% convinced he will be in the team every week. Also this will be unpopular, but I'll say it. In the last couple of seasons I've seen a glimpse of a side of Jamie which seems more ready to blame others for his mistakes than himself. Not that he makes a lot of mistakes, but a captain needs to be above that sort of shit in the same way that Gerrard isn't. Both players halos have slipped a little lately, whereas Pepe is still a perfect role model.

It'd be Carragher for me, and Reina would be the vice-captain.

Obviously Pepe has got time on his side, so Carra would merely be keeping the armband warm for when our big baldy legend takes over.

You know what? Pepe himself would probably turn down the captaincy if it meant that Carragher (as a local lad and club legend) was made captain. He's just that kind of spot on guy.

I'm not even 100% convinced he will be in the team every week. Also this will be unpopular, but I'll say it. In the last couple of seasons I've seen a glimpse of a side of Jamie which seems more ready to blame others for his mistakes than himself. Not that he makes a lot of mistakes, but a captain needs to be above that sort of shit in the same way that Gerrard isn't. Both players halos have slipped a little lately, whereas Pepe is still a perfect role model.

Ok, I can see what you're saying. I've read his book and while I appreciate this wouldn't give you a perfect picture of the man, it did make me think that I wouldn't like him on a personel level given how he came across to me, but I'd still have him as Captain every day of the week. His organisational skills and knowledge seem very good and he seems to be able to get this across on the pitch so he would be the perfect mouthpiece for the manager on the pitch in my opinion. I love Pepe. In fact he is easily my favourite player at the club at the moment, but I've just never been a fan of the goalie being Captain. I'd make an exception for him, but while Carra is still around, I'd have Carra. Pepe would certainly be vice-Captain and then full time when Carra jacks it in.

Guest Pistonbroke

A lot of posters saying give it to Pepe even if SG stays. Well that isn't going to happen unless SG tells Hodgson he doesn't want it. " Oh i'm glad you've decided to stay SG, by the way you're not captain any more." Doubt it.

If he was to go i'd give it to Carra and i believe that is what would happen with maybe Pepe being vice captain. If Carra wasn't playing for whatever reason then Pepe would just take the band, best of both Worlds imo.

A lot of posters saying give it to Pepe even if SG stays. Well that isn't going to happen unless SG tells Hodgson he doesn't want it. " Oh i'm glad you've decided to stay SG, by the way you're not captain any more." Doubt it.

Of course it isn't going to happen. But in a perfect world, Hodgson would be saying to Gerrard "You've got x number of years left on your contract. Put that titty lip away, stop phoning Real Madrid and get back on the fucking pitch. And by the way, give me that armband". I know it's not going to happen.

Guest Pistonbroke
Of course it isn't going to happen. But in a perfect world, Hodgson would be saying to Gerrard "You've got x number of years left on your contract. Put that titty lip away, stop phoning Real Madrid and get back on the fucking pitch. And by the way, give me that armband". I know it's not going to happen.

Who knows what was going through his head last season, he took a lot of stick for having a bad one but then more or less the whole team were shite. He's had a lot of stick personally and even the best of players have a season like that. Hopefully a one off and he'll be back to his best this forthcoming season if he indeed decides to stay.

Guest TK-421

By his words and deeds I would give it to Pepe Reina. He is basically a de facto captain anyway so let's make it official.

Carra for me. As Carra is joint captain now. SG and Carra captain the team together and Carra has always been 110% a captain without the armband.

Whatever you think of SG, and he seems very unpopular here reading the threads, he hasn't done anything to actually deserve to be stripped of the captaincy.

He is also willing to have and encourage other leaders on the pitch and to welcome the contribution and strength of team-mates he respects. He was always more than willing to have Alonso's contribution as someone who helped younger members of the squad and was fluent in spanish for example and was grateful for it. He is not an 'I'm the captain and me alone' kind of leader. He is actually happiest when he feels he is playing with others who are great players, great leaders and great lads.

I don't think he will leave and I think he should remain as captain.