You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

Had a very strong feeling after the UEFA Cup final he would be our new manager but didn't put my money where my mouth is (mates have roundly booed me for that).

Glad to have a true gent of the game who knows his stuff and is PREM proven and look forward to him hopefully proving a lot of people wrong and taking us back to CL football.

Good luck Roy and welcome to the greatest thrill of your life.

PREM proven?

Tony Pulis finished above him

Guest TK-421
I'm not too sure about that. You look at the stuff coming out about the new kit breaking sales records etc at the end of a season where we've been absolutely fucking dreadful.

I reckon that is bullshit from Ayre to cover up the club's failings. That interview on .tv was a joke. Pure propaganda. Why are they even interviewing him? Nobody gives a shit what he thinks.

"I stood on the Kop with me arl fella, la, honest I did. I'm just like one of you."

Fuck off (Ayre, not you).

Could I just clarify a point?

Are you suggesting that we should attack our own fans in our club shop?

Just checking. Wasn't 100% sure if you were a total fucking spastic or not.

No i'm fucking not!

But I can see the way it is going, it was angry last year and for the first time in a long time, I heard out of town fans getting abuse! It was a horrible atmosphere at Anfield last season and was even worse at the away grounds, and it doesn't look like it is going to get any better.

I think it is getting nastier, and I can see it getting physical, we have some absolute pricks following us, pricks whose philosophy in life is to punch first and then ask later.

His first competitive match will oblige him to field a team probably without the likes of Reina, Johnson, Carra, Agger, Skittles, Mascher, Gerrard, Babel, Maxi, Kuyt and Torres.

At least we'll get an early preview of what this seasons first eleven is going to look like.

I reckon that is bullshit from Ayre to cover up the club's failings. That interview on .tv was a joke. Pure propaganda. Why are they even interviewing him? Nobody gives a shit what he thinks.

"I stood on the Kop with me arl fella, la, honest I did. I'm just like one of you."

Fuck off (Ayre, not you).

My thoughts exactly when they asked for questions - still haven't seen the interview and I really don't think I've missed anything.

Okay, I have to admit I've never heard of 'zonal trap'. Sounds like Spinal Tap. Zonal marking cranked up to Nigel Tufnel's number 11? No idea. It sounds like it'll get Jamie Redknapp and Richard Keys VERY angry, whatever it is.

Fulham - Zonal Trap Defence

It appears that Roy Hodgson has yet again enlightened the footballing world with his second-to-none knowledge.

Coaches from all around the world queue outside Motspur Park in order to see his latest tactical development in full flow.

'Zonal Trap Defence'

Adapted from NBA basketball, Hodgson has stuck the new defensive system into the teams training, and intends to allow it to weave it's magic in future games.

Hodgson, who never really made it when it came to playing football himself, has the biggest array of footballing knowledge that I can think of, and this latest idea of his certainly proves that. Players and friends have spoken of our gaffers keen eye for everything football, and his natural talent to produce the results on the pitch.

Our very own highly rated centre back, Hangeland, had this to say.

'Hodgson is very ready with advice. You can talk to him about anything to do with life skills and especially on football because he has so many clever ideas. That is why other people come and want to watch him in action.

'But above everything else, he is thorough, especially in the way he organises training. If he wants things done a certain way then we have to practise until we get it right to his satisfaction.

'Above all he is so professional and his command of language helps. When I played for him in Norway he would speak in Swedish or English, but you would always listen.'

Fulham - Fulham - Zonal Trap Defence

Read more: Fulham - Fulham - Zonal Trap Defence

The coaching handbook states: 'ZTD requires every member of the defence to act in unison, with intelligent anticipation and vigorous execution. Players communicate using commands and warnings, then rigidly follow one another into a new formation.'

I see WrongIslander is trying to wind everyone up on this thread as well

Imeidately thought MOMO but he does seem to be too well educated in his arguments for that

WrongIslander too educated?

Fuck me, there is pond life out there that wouldn't feel intellectually inferior to him.

Okay, I have to admit I've never heard of 'zonal trap'. Sounds like Spinal Tap. Zonal marking cranked up to Nigel Tufnel's number 11? No idea. It sounds like it'll get Jamie Redknapp and Richard Keys VERY angry, whatever it is.

The coaching handbook states: 'ZTD requires every member of the defence to act in unison, with intelligent anticipation and vigorous execution. Players communicate using commands and warnings, then rigidly follow one another into a new formation.'

SHEEP!

GC

As an attempt to connect the extremes within our support that's quite a Herculean effort!

But extremes there were and extremes there are. Still. You might be better advised taking that sabbatical.

Strictly as an observer I'll be absolutely fascinated by what happens next. As a Red whose life it is affecting, I'm beginning to think a decision to shunt football into the sidelines of my life isn't far away.

I'm at the age where my dad started to prefer cricket. That's out, as it bores me to tears. Whenever I whinged about some defeat or other he'd just mutter "8 years in the second division" and I'd clam up. When the 60's and 70's glory arrived, he was made up obviously but he felt like he'd earned it. Our generation has never had to 'suffer' that way.

But what he never had to put up with was £40 a ticket, a relentlessly screeching media and pampered players on simply mind-boggling wages, you at least felt like you belonged. In the last decade our managers have been treated like Gods by some, largely as a result of the contempt for the modern footballer and symbolised by the reaction to England's latest debacle. For some, enough is enough.

We've been spoilt. This club only won 5 major trophies in its first 72 years, then won about 25 in two decades! If it's changing back to what's normal, so be it, but being fleeced and treated like dirt should not ever be part of the deal.

Liverpool FC, you've been a major part of my life since I was a boy but you're fast becoming a germ on a microscope slide. Something whose ugliness and disease is grimly fascinating but ultimately destructive.

Roy Hodgson may be good but he can't do anything about that.

Cracking post that. I would probably think it sums up a lot of older supporters feel. I'm not dead old like some of you fogies out there of course, but football and what it's about for me is becoming drastically different. And that is probably a major factor in why I do go off on some people on here, like I did with Ant yesterday.

I just hope that 2005 and 2006 are not my last memories of success before I potentially walk away.

Some on here just can't shut it - 'well I wanted him to go because of this and I wanted him to go because of that'......yeah you were all so busy putting it all so succintly - we heard you.

Now Rafa has gone - so do us a favour - shut the fuck up with it.