You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

On top of everything else Roy had better drop the 'my gweat fwiend Sir Alex' crap.

He's twatted them two years running at the Cottage so obviously not that gweat!

Besides, he strikes me more as a Paisleyesque 'bit of toffee' kind of manager.

Fwiends close, enemies closer!

He's twatted them two years running at the Cottage so obviously not that gweat!

Besides, he strikes me more as a Paisleyesque 'bit of toffee' kind of manager.

Fwiends close, enemies closer!

Yes, good point. He'd still better shut it, though!;)

*Dons John Deere baseball cap*

Looks like we got ourselves a readah'....

Even Robson, though, had to defer to Croydon-born Hodgson's knowledge and expertise away from the football pitch. This, after all, is a man who compares his nomadic career — “it's gone sideways, backwards, and then upwards again” — with paintings by the Russian abstract artist Kandinsky.

On his bookshelf are works by Nobel Prize-winners Isaac Bashevis Singer, the Polish-born Jewish American author, and American Saul Bellow.

Get him on the subject of literature and Hodgson enthuses over The Secret Scripture and The Whereabouts Of Eneas McNulty, both of which are by the Irish novelist and playwright, Sebastian Barry.

He has even entertained British novelist Sebastian Faulks at Fulham's training ground in Surrey and counts his Birdsong as “one of the best books I'd ever read”.

Well-read but also well-spoken. Hodgson can converse easily in Norwegian, Swedish and Italian and he can make himself understood in German, Danish, French and Finnish.

On reflection and in the cold light of day I was a little hasty last night in giving Roy Hodgson my full support.

I will reserve judgement and if he becomes a pupet of the owners then he fuck off with the rest of them.

However actions speak louder than words and I will wait and see what happens and how far he defends the owners before making a real judgement.

Do you know what really strikes me about this appointment. People are always saying that an English manager never gets the chance to manager a big 4 club, Roy is English and he manages us, and no one has said well it's about time an English manager got the chance of managing a big 4 club!

Does this mean we aren't a big 4 club anymore?

Last year we were 7th, and the escalator indicates that we are still going down...

I hope someone quotes this comment back to Roy (apropos Gerrard and Torres) at tomorrow's press conference:

It's about the star performers. Roma will suffer badly without a Totti just as Manchester United will suffer from the absence of Beckham or Giggs. Take Zidane or Roberto Carlos out of Real Madrid and replace them with McManaman and Salgado and it's not the same.

'Art of being a good manager doesn't just disappear' - News & Comment, Football - The Independent

Gerrard -

Apparently his agent has already sorted a deal before the world cup with RM but SG was waiting to make his decision.

Source - Editor of Transfer Rumours.

I dont buy it 100%, just wondered if anyone had heard anything ?

Yes. But it's not Gerrard who's engineered it.

I'll give you three guesses.

Again, I have to ask; do the players not have any say in all this?

Blame the evil agent, blame the evil club for selling them, but are they absolutely incapable of saying "I'm not going"?

Gerrard especially, if he knows his fee will go towards debt reduction and prolonging our agony, can fuck off.

"Yeah but it's understandable, it's a short career and we're going nowhere" etc.

Sounds a lot like pandering to me.

His armband said he was a red

Once we hit trouble he turned and fled

Catchy.

Again, I have to ask; do the players not have any say in all this?

Blame the evil agent, blame the evil club for selling them, but are they absolutely incapable of saying "I'm not going"?

Gerrard especially, if he knows his fee will go towards debt reduction and prolonging our agony, can fuck off.

"Yeah but it's understandable, it's a short career and we're going nowhere" etc.

Sounds a lot like pandering to me.

His armband said he was a red

Once we hit trouble he turned and fled

Catchy.

Would you blame either of them for going?

They both want to win things, and appointing Hodgson is just about the most underwhelming "football" decision since thinking two managers are better than one. And like it or not it seems like Purslow is just poking them with a stick saying "I dare you to stay now."

It always intrigues me why we as fans can be utterly appalled by the owners and boards behaviour but the players should somehow be immune.