You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Roy Hodgson Thread

BexBissel

Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Is Roy Hodgson Good Enough to Manage Liverpool Football Club?

Guest simon

Maybe be he is a part of something big. I have been told there will be a ceremony when he is revealed. Now surely that isnt just for him. Takeover? I dont know But a ceromony would be for something huge imo.

Will maintain the team in a mid table position after the stars have been sold off and we have a team full of mediocrity, the gains from challenging for the league are outweighed by the cost of getting the team to that stage, why risk it when the fans will still pay the money when we are mid table?

Bingo!

Purslow, Hicks et al know that wherever we are in the league, even if it's in this league, we're 'Liverpool FC', idiots will flock from wherever and pay £30 to see us play. Embarassing, so it's cheaper and easier to keep us around 10th, and under a mid-table manager like Hodgson, than it is for us to be in the top 4 challenging for the title and CL, with an ambitious young manager like Benitez.

At the end of the day, we know Benitez wasn't removed for Football reasons, that's the most damning indictment of all.

Of even more bafflement to me is how those so keen to see the back of Benitez honestly thought that

(a) Any so called top class manager would be interested and that

(b) the club's current administration would somehow cast aside their ineptitude in the recruitment process

That said, I think Hodgson will be better than people think.

Why would he change his whole style at 62?

I don't think he needs to change his whole style.

His Fulham side were organised, but in possession they played some good football at home.

Nothing wrong being organised or defensive minded, as long as the team can still be threatening and win games.

He'll have better players here which is going to help beat teams. But he will need to find a way to break down teams who park the bus, especially at Anfield. I think he might have to tinker with his natural style, but not totally change it.

Because he will make the perfect captain.....of a sinking ship

I know i should be KINDA excited about a new start because who knows what may happen........but i just have that empty feeling about the whole thing.

However 1 thing i have no doubt about....I hate purslow, hicks and gillett with all my heart

1 tired and emotional red

Guest simon
When you say ceremony, do you mean just a normal press conference, like any other new manager?!

Im not sure he said ceromony. That dont mean just a conference imo and the lad isnt dumb so he knows exactly what he is saying.

Im not sure he said ceromony. That dont mean just a conference imo and the lad isnt dumb so he knows exactly what he is saying.

Yeah it will be the new Standard Charter sponsorship I would have thought.

Guest simon
Yeah it will be the new Standard Charter sponsorship I would have thought.

Forgot about them. Yeah it probably is. But seriously i think it could be something big.

I hope I am right in thinking that Roy will be a tidy stop gap whilst we sell the club. I cannot help but think that the friction between Rafa and the board, combined with the huge contract he was on was a factor in putting investors off. As well as the unrealistic price the Americans set. If the club is to be sold within the next 2 years, I think Roy would be ideal to steady the ship.

I was never completely against Benitez and I was patient with him but the time had come for him to move on. His hands were tied at the club, he had no funds and a complete muppet in Macia recruiting for him.

I'm actually in a state of shock to be honest. I moved to the UK last October simply to support Liverpool. Go to the game every week or every 2 weeks instead of flying over and back from Ireland.

I knew there would be protests against the owners and I have been to them, will be there Sunday.

But never in my life did I think that we would have a Chealsea season (plastic) ticket holder as (Independent) Chairman and switch managers, Benitez for Roy Hodgson. It's like the Twilight Zone or something.

These strategists have some fans believing this is a good thing, it beggars belief it really does..