You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Lucas shouldnt be anywhere near the team that has to go and win the game by 2 goals

Also if true does beg the question why Ngog has started ahead of babel all season

cos Ngog does what he's told. same reason he played instead of keane

• Replies 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't trust Macherano at RB he ended up back in CM a couple of times against Burnley.

Funny thing is when he plays centre midfield he often ends up at right back covering. I think from this we can conclude, he's a bit fuckin' mental!

Exactly what I was thinking.

Lucas shouldnt be anywhere near the team that has to go and win the game by 2 goals

Also if true does beg the question why Ngog has started ahead of babel all season

Well N'Gog's injured isn't he, so there you go.

I'd prefer Mascherano in midfield rather than right back agreeing with Zig, but I'd understand if Rafa wanted to have two more pace at centre back to look at the counter attack. It would probably help having a more progressive full back than Agger who just tends to stand there and hoof long balls rather than getting forward.

Well N'Gog's injured isn't he, so there you go.

I'd prefer Mascherano in midfield rather than right back agreeing with Zig, but I'd understand if Rafa wanted to have two more pace at centre back to look at the counter attack. It would probably help having a more progressive full back than Agger who just tends to stand there and hoof long balls rather than getting forward.

I wonder if he wants to avoid two hoofing center halves as well.

How fit is The Greek?

Thinking about it if he wasn't gonna play tomorrow night then not sure why he was given a rest on Sunday.

Who says he was rested though? I rather think there was an element of Ayala being rewarded with a start in an easy game against a team playing one up for the great performances he's put in all year in the reserves.

But then isn't that negated by having a midfielder at right back and a right back at left back? Why not stick with what you've been doing recently?

Yeah – that’s why I said I’d rather have Masch in midfield!

Guess we’ll see what team Rafa picks and then whether it works!

If we’re planning to go full pelt at Atletico, and think we’re going to dominate midfield and possession I can see the logic of having a quicker centre back pairing and better ball players at full back. You don’t really need three centre backs if they’re just playing on the counter.

Who says he was rested though? I rather think there was an element of Ayala being rewarded with a start in an easy game against a team playing one up for the great performances he's put in all year in the reserves.

Just a presumption really.

Rafa seems not to trust Kyrgiakos these days. I didn´t see the game in Madrid as I was away from home and after seeing the result I did not want to see the replay.

But anyway, his performances in central defense have been miles better than Agger´s throughout the season.

Rafa seems not to trust Kyrgiakos these days. I didn´t see the game in Madrid as I was away from home and after seeing the result I did not want to see the replay.

But anyway, his performances in central defense have been miles better than Agger´s throughout the season.

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

.................Reina

Johnson Greek Agger Carra

..........Gerrard Masch

..Babel Aquilani Benayoun

..................Kuyt

Main reason he's changed it is Lucas.

If he has.

No I agree with what the other fella said. Probably wants someone quicker up against Aguero tonight in Daniel Agger. I personally doubt that Kuyt will be fit for tonight anyway, but fingers crossed he is. Zigackly, please stop knocking Lucas!

I can deffo see the reason why Rafa feels the need to bring Danny Agger back in to the center. The greek is great, especially against physical teams, but I feel that facing up to Forlan and Kun Aguero means that bit more mobility is required.

Have no qualms with Masch at RB, we've seen him a few times bombing up and down the right this season and he delivers a great cross. I'd rather see him there than Degen or someone else, and if Lucas sits I reckon he will be able to do the destroyer roll in the middle.

Happy with that

Lucas played in the Benfica 4-1, I'm sure. Might even have scored, but then I had snorted an immense amount of crack that afternoon. Of course he'll play!

I like this stuff about Babel liking to play up front. This after a whopping 40 minutes when Torres and N'gog were out and Kuyt crumpled to the deck.

If he liked it that much and he was any good at it, I'm wondering why in this of all seasons he hasn't done it much.

I have an easy solution Milan. Don't play Masch at right back.

I have a thing about balanced teams though. Masch at right back and Johnson at left back is just wrong unless you can avoid it.

Perhaps by playing players in their natural positions ...

Unless their wingers have a habit of checking in rather than hug the touch line then having Johnson on the left makes perfect sense.

When Rafa has time to set up his teams for a European night he rarely buggers it up.

Unless their wingers have a habit of checking in rather than hug the touch line then having Johnson on the left makes perfect sense.

I think that's a bit of a stretch, you don't need to be right-footed to get tighter to your centre back.

Agger is left footed and he plays as a centre back for instance. Better in my opinion as the left of a pair than if he were right footed.

For me you've over-analysed this a bit too much. The team is being reshaped either to accomodate a player Rafa wants or to compensate for not having enough fit defenders. If that's really the team ...

I didn't know the Greek was injured when I suggested it was to accomodate Lucas. I still don't. What's wrong with him? When will he be back? Link a brother up, don't just drop in a coy statement of fact and leave.

When Rafa has time to set up his teams for a European night he rarely buggers it up.

We're losing though? Surely we should be setting the team up to win the game, not contain their wingers?

Agger at LB or Masch at RB is much of a muchness for me.

If Kyrgiakos is out then fair enough I understand we have to change things, but if he's not, i'd like to see something like this:

-------------Reina

Johnson--Carra--Krygiakos--Agger

Kuyt--Gerrard--Mascherano--Benayoun

-----------Aquilani

------------Babel