You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Penalties - Decisions - This season

Bob

Now, I dont want to sound bitter, so let me start by saying I don't think we should have had a pen yesterday as i think it was handball, but just outside the box in my opinion.

But having said that, it seems to me we've had a much rougher time of penalty decisions this season than most. Not just the ones not givem, but the ones given against too.

So as an exercise, I thought i'd try to compile a list of the big penalty decisions that have gone for and against us this season, just to see if it actually balances out.

the problem is, my memory is shite (especially about the ones that are in our favour, surprisingly), so if we all put our noggins together, a really comprehensive list can be put together just to see, for the sake of science, where we stand.

Here's my starting list for 10;

Decisions in our favour: (bold means wrong decision)

Penalty against Spurs (away)

Penalty against spurs (home)

Penalty against Birmingham (home)

No penalty for foul on crouch (home)

Decisions against us: (again, bold means wrong)

No penalty for foul on gerrard against arse (home)

Penalty given to reading (home)

No penalty for assault on Lucas against Stoke (away)

No penalty for pull on Lucas against Stoke (away)

as i say, my memory is shite, so there are loads more that i have forgotten, can you guys help me put the list together just for the purposes of science?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I dont want to sound bitter, so let me start by saying I don't think we should have had a pen yesterday as i think it was handball, but just outside the box in my opinion.

But having said that, it seems to me we've had a much rougher time of penalty decisions this season than most. Not just the ones not givem, but the ones given against too.

So as an exercise, I thought i'd try to compile a list of the big penalty decisions that have gone for and against us this season, just to see if it actually balances out.

the problem is, my memory is shite (especially about the ones that are in our favour, surprisingly), so if we all put our noggins together, a really comprehensive list can be put together just to see, for the sake of science, where we stand.

Here's my starting list for 10;

as i say, my memory is shite, so there are loads more that i have forgotten, can you guys help me put the list together just for the purposes of science?

We were denied two penalties in the last 5 minutes against Spurs in the opening match. The handball was 50/50, sometimes given, sometimes not. But Ekotto`s tackle on Voronin was as clear as stonewall penalties can get.

Was`nt we denied a pen against Arsenal in the league cup as well? I seem to remember a handball from the Aquilani overhead kick in the last minutes...

If decisions like this evens out over a season, we are due som serious luck with referees the coming months.

Also, N`gog dive against Birmingham was a decision in our favour.

As bad as we've played, we've had some wretched luck and some disgraceful refereeing decision against us this season.

Maybe we should look at how United, Chelsea and Arsenal consistently crowd the ref at every available opportunity. I've only really seen us doing it against United and the Bitters this season. Hardly the most sporting of activities, but we need to get as dirty as our rivals in this regard.

If it's a handball it's a penalty. Foot was on the line.

I heard gray say that, but wasnt sure it was right. To me, if a goalie was on the line and was still holding the ball across the line, I'd say it was a free kick for handball, so i applied the same logic to the pen.

but if you know the rules for defo, then it was a pen, because there is no doubt it was definately hand ball.

Part and parcel of the game, ref's will get things wrong time and again, it happens to every team. Don't see any point whatsoever in moaning about decisions, refereeing needs to be seriously looked at and untill it does it will just keep happening. That tit last night is supposedly the best ref in the league. He will be our example of the high standard we have in England when the World cup comes around, what a joke.

Ok, I can't find the UEFA referee guidelines online and I have limited time, but I did find the USSF guidelines which are very similar.

The relevant part is in section 14.1: "Referees are reminded that it is the location of the foul, not the position of the ball, which determines whether a penalty kick is the correct restart."

Foot on the line means that Fabregas is considered inside the area. It's where he is, not where the ball is that determines whether it is a penalty.

I don't have time to look up the goalie handling the ball now, maybe later.

So far...

defoe goal disallowed

No penalty for fould on voronin vs spurs (away)

No penalty for foul on Kuyt vs Villa (away)

The fucking beachball vs Sunderland (away)

Diamante penalty kicked twice vs Wes Ham (away)

And then to Red Cards; 5 for, I can only think of the Wolves one against.

So far...

defoe goal disallowed

No penalty for fould on voronin vs spurs (away)

No penalty for foul on Kuyt vs Villa (away)

The fucking beachball vs Sunderland (away)

Diamante penalty kicked twice vs Wes Ham (away)

And then to Red Cards; 5 for, I can only think of the Wolves one against.

Are you really saying that the reason we are in such a mess is because of a few penalty shouts going against us?

Are you really saying that the reason we are in such a mess is because of a few penalty shouts going against us?

Nope. And I think I made that fairly clear. This is purely in the interests of science man. Fucking Science.

I have to put on a white lab jacket every time I add to this thread. Now fuck off out of here, you are contaminating my experiment.

I can't see any words from Bob to that effect.

Sorry Bob, I should have read all the thread first not just post #17.

Continue with your science..........................

thank you kindly.

I have a spare white lab jacket, two petri dishes and a pippette kicking about if you would like to add anything?