You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll only ever win a Slam if he avoids Federer, Nadal or Djokovic all the way through.

Not sure PG.

Would have agreed with you until recently, but all 3 of them seem to have their own issues at present ( father time for Roger, persistent injury for Rafa & Novak struggling to quite match last year's consistency )

Still make Nolo favourite against Murray if that is the match-up though.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
In this tournament?

Nope. Surely beating Djokovic and Rodger to win the Gold at Wimbledon, as well as beating Nadal at the US open, is an indication that he might just be able to do it?

Beating one of the top guys hasn't been the problem, beating two of the three in a major - other than the Olympics - has been the problem. He's now in a mentally different place. That was always his problem, not his tennis.

I'm getting to like the guy a lot I have to admit. He'll have his work cut out for him to beat Novak if it is him he faces in the final. However if he can just get this maiden slam in his locker he could well dominate tennis for a few years.

I think having Lendl has been hugely beneficial for his mental approach to games as well. He also looks like he's put on a bit of muscle as well.

I wouldn't totally discount Fed yet as he's had a great season and his supreme skills allied to superb fitness levels will keep him in the mix for at least another year despite his advancing years. Novak is just a beast who's nearing the top of his game again after the heroics of last year and of course if Nadal can overcome this latest injury setback then he's going to be up there as well. It's credit to Murray and his team that he's a genuine threat to the big three nowadays. Happy times indeed for tennis fans.

If he can win one Slam title and break his duck then I think he will go on to win a lot more. He's unfortunate (at the moment) to be a world-class player competing in the same era as Federer, the G.O.A.T.

- and the greatest hard-court player of this era, Nadal.

Although you can't knock $23m prize money for constantly finishing runner up on the ATP competitions.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If he can win one Slam title and break his duck then I think he will go on to win a lot more. He's unfortunate (at the moment) to be a world-class player competing in the same era as Federer, the G.O.A.T.

- and the greatest hard-court player of this era, Nadal.

Unless you meant greatest clay-court player, I don't agree. I do agree that Murray has more than one slam in him though, it's all mentality with Andy.

Rain on the way here, so I've jibbed off my plans for the day to sit in and watch this with a few bottles of Fullers ESB. Really looking forward to it.

Every time Murray gets into a slam final, it becomes "his best chance ever" to win, and this is no different. He's physically and technically capable of beating Djokovic, though still not favourite, but coming off the back of the biggest victory of his career to date might just give him what he needs to pull himself mentally through a major final.

If it ends up going the full five sets, Djokovic has it for me. If it's going to end before that, I think I fancy Murray.