You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Woo

11 minutes ago, Mook said:

Clearly those people have a fucking screw loose but was posting a picture of herself enjoying a day in the park last night maybe a bit ill-advised given the circumstances?

I think Ash's tweet is from several hours before the Reading park stabbing incident took place

Her comments section is clearly full of racists desperate to find an angle to attack her. 

I always think why does this country feel shame with its flags and then I see the comments of people who constantly have it next to their name and they are nearly always horrible. Hijacked by hate.

• Upvote 2

Just now, skend04 said:

I think Ash's tweet is from several hours before the Reading park stabbing incident took place

I read she posted it on Instagram after 10pm last night.

If that's wrong then obviously I take back my comment.

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I read she posted it on Instagram after 10pm last night.

If that's wrong then obviously I take back my comment.

Ah, I'm not sure about the Insta post. But I think the tweet of the picture was a bit earlier. I didn't hear about the stabbings until later in the evening until someone WhatsApped the report and video.

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

Ah, I'm not sure about the Insta post. But I think the tweet of the picture was a bit earlier. I didn't hear about the stabbings until later in the evening until someone WhatsApped the report and video.

I think she’s a dick but to berate her for posting a pic of a park, even if she’d heard about the attack, is fucking mental.  Are people supposed to trawl through news before posting anything just on the off chance someone might be offended? I’d guess the families of the people killed and injured have more important things on their minds than whether Ash is having a lolly.  People getting offended on other peoples behalf. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I think she’s a dick but to berate her for posting a pic of a park, even if she’d heard about the attack, is fucking mental.  Are people supposed to trawl through news before posting anything just on the off chance someone might be offended? I’d guess the families of the people killed and injured have more important things on their minds than whether Ash is having a lolly.  People getting offended on other peoples behalf. 

Yeah, it's weird. 

Let’s face it, social media is one of if not the worst thing that’s ever happened to modern politics. Which in light of this endless culture war we now live in essentially just means any public discourse. Rupert Murdoch dreamed of poisoning the well to this degree when he started up at The Scum. It’s orders of magnitude more insidious and hateful, generally speaking.

For all it’s great qualities as a source of news, humour, entertainment, connecting, etc, I deleted my whole twitter account months ago, because this shit seeps into absolutely all of us, forums do too. I could feel it happening and making me more black and white, when things have always and will always have shades of grey to them, if we’re wise. A huge amount of people, if not all people to some degree, are helpless to the process of losing nuance, objectivity and their better qualities in at least evaluating things they don’t like fairly, so they see and represent them exactly as they are rather than cartoonishly and nth degree.

I always used to think the only thing which made nearly everyone behave like more of a cunt than normal was cocaine, but chatting politics on the net way exceeds it.

• Upvote 6

She's eating an orange lolly ice next to a bike with a bright orange seat and wheels. It's obscene that's somehow a valid excuse to attack her to conspiracy nuts. She's a young Asian woman who is smart and outspoken politically, not shy about sex or showing off her figure, shit it's like she's an allround capable confident human being. Furious.

6 minutes ago, Captain Milk said:

Let face it, social media is one of if not the worst thing that’s happened to modern politics, certainly in their current guise. Which in light of this endless culture war we now live in essentially just means any public discourse. Rupert Murdoch dreamed of poisoning the well to this degree when he started up at The Scum. It’s orders of magnitude more insidious and hateful generally speaking.

For all it’s great qualities as a source of news, humour, entertainment, connecting, etc, I deleted my whole twitter account months ago, because this shit seeps into absolutely all of us, forums do too. I could feel it happening and making me more black and white, when things have always and will always have shades of grey to them, if we’re wise. A huge amount of people, if not all people to some degree, are helpless to the process of losing nuance, objectivity and their better qualities in at least evaluating things they don’t like fairly, so they see and represent them exactly as they are rather than cartoonishly. 

I always used to think the only thing which made every single person behave like more of a cunt than normal was cocaine, but chatting politics on the net exceeds it.

What do you use in its place?

54 minutes ago, Captain Milk said:

Let face it, social media is one of if not the worst thing that’s ever happened to modern politics. Which in light of this endless culture war we now live in essentially just means any public discourse. Rupert Murdoch dreamed of poisoning the well to this degree when he started up at The Scum. It’s orders of magnitude more insidious and hateful, generally speaking.

For all it’s great qualities as a source of news, humour, entertainment, connecting, etc, I deleted my whole twitter account months ago, because this shit seeps into absolutely all of us, forums do too. I could feel it happening and making me more black and white, when things have always and will always have shades of grey to them, if we’re wise. A huge amount of people, if not all people to some degree, are helpless to the process of losing nuance, objectivity and their better qualities in at least evaluating things they don’t like fairly, so they see and represent them exactly as they are rather than cartoonishly and nth degree.

I always used to think the only thing which made nearly everyone behave like more of a cunt than normal was cocaine, but chatting politics on the net way exceeds it.

Couldn't agree more, it's fucking toxic and is ruining society, discourse and our empathy towards others. Bin it all off and start again. 

6 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Couldn't agree more, it's fucking toxic and is ruining society, discourse and our empathy towards others. Bin it all off and start again. 

Or, regulate it properly and ensure that personal details are registered at sign up, removing the anonymity that allows the cunts to hide behind these odious statements.

I’d bin it off entirely, but I’m afraid it’s here to stay and our government, and others around the world, are stood around like blokes 6000 years ago watching fire not fully understanding the potential benefits and pratfalls of it, so it needs to be internationally regulated.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hank Moody said:

It really does suck. But the solution isn’t jibbing it off. The platform isn’t even the issue

It’s just a reflection of basically everything else in this world.

Something that, when used correctly, can be positive, engaging, informative, educational, humorous, innovative and supportive.

Unfortunately it needs to be used by these creatures known as people, many of whom are unable or unwilling to do anything other than make utter cunts of themselves and poison anything good that might coexist alongside their shite. 

I have to acknowledge my own Twitter use has sometimes been less than exemplary though. My tweets aren’t poisonous bile but they have been known to be a bit dull. I guess that makes me part of the problem. 

• Upvote 1