You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Genius.

How often would it work? Everytime? 60% of the time? 60% of the time it would work everytime?

In high pressure situations, your first effort is denied but you'll end up scoring on the rebound.

Not quite Marlon King who's now the face of Brute.

I'm here all week.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all getting a bit complicated for me this. So, Xabi is quoted as saying Rafa is a great manager etc, but he doesnt really mean that? It's not really a compliment to Rafa, it's a veiled attack? But Xabi can't really say how he feels because Rafa might one day be his manager at his new club?

Fuck that, I'll leave it to the 'experts' to a) pore over every word of that article b) read between the lines of these words and c) summise what was 'really' meant.

Lad,your banging your head against a fuckin brick wall,with the fuckin clueless clowns on here.

The same Gobshites you, profess to supporting the club.

So whose choice was it then?

I can hazard a guess.

Fucking petty.

I think the person who repped me for this actually wanted to neg - unless "you even pettier cunt" is part of yoof lingo these days! Feel free to correct it.

Look, Kay more or less says Xabi wanted a letter of farewell/good luck placed on the offal and it was not his choice it never got there. Whose fault do you think it was - Denis Compton's?

And that is petty, just as petty as what Rafa told SoS about Alonso in the middle of last season when Xabi was playing well and we were top of the league!

I understand why people are sick to the back teeth with all the Poirot searching for clues that's going on of late. What was interesting to me is that Rafa would appear to have some sway over what gets put into official club news outlets. He would appear to have used it in this instance. One journalist does not seem overly concerned if he gets on the manager's bad side or not although he's smart enough not to actually SAY Rafa did this, Rafa did that etc.

It's not like there aren't other people at the Times he can take it out on, after all. We're weak, and struggling, and so therefore is the boss; when Matt Dickinson writes a whole article about Dalglish in (you guessed it) the Times and writes about "whispers" it just gets my paranoia into overdrive.

My position on the manager has always been one of doubt, and recent events have not changed that obviously. I'm starting to get the horrible feeling some within the club are turning on him. Maybe he shouldn't be getting sympathy - a few mates have already said "fuck him" - but for me it stinks.

If Alonso wrote a letter there is fuck all Rafa could do to stop him releasing it.

So now we have decided thats what we are going to attack Rafa with because he stopped Alonso writing a letter to the fans.

So since Alonso has left he couldn't have released it via a newspaper or Sky.

You trying to tell me someone like Kay himself or Tony Barrett wouldn't have been willing to publish such a letter or Chris Bascombe would have also been willing to stick it in the NOTW.

Of course they'd have been willing to print it, but they weren't given the option as until recently Alonso was still giving LFC the benefit of the doubt that they would print it. I know of at least two journalists who were aware of the letter several weeks ago, but both were told by Xabi not to mention it because he was still hoping that the club would use it.

He sent it in August just after he left, and when it didn't go on he tried ringing Rafa, but he wasn't answering his phone. He then rang another senior figure at the club and was told that it would go on, but they hadn't had a chance to use it as they'd had so much stuff to put on (clearly bullshit as there's been two international breaks where they've had fuck all of any note to put on).

I don't know if Alonso told Olly Kay about it, or if Kay knew anyway (I've known about it for weeks, and lots of other people definitely knew - former team-mates, friends of Alonso, staff at lfc.tv, journalists etc), but the way that was worded by Kay was odd.

"It wasn't Alonso's decision not to publish a letter" Of course it wasn't, he's hardly going to send a letter to lfctv but say 'here you go, a letter to the fans, but don't print it' is he?!?!

Alonso should have just sent it to the Echo when the website didn't run it, but maybe after a few months he felt there was no point anymore, I don't know.

It's not a particularly big deal in the grand scheme of things, and doesn't make Benitez any better or worse a football manager, but as goatboy said, it is rather petty.

Of course they'd have been willing to print it, but they weren't given the option as until recently Alonso was still giving LFC the benefit of the doubt that they would print it. I know of at least two journalists who were aware of the letter several weeks ago, but both were told by Xabi not to mention it because he was still hoping that the club would use it.

He sent it in August just after he left, and when it didn't go on he tried ringing Rafa, but he wasn't answering his phone. He then rang another senior figure at the club and was told that it would go on, but they hadn't had a chance to use it as they'd had so much stuff to put on (clearly bullshit as there's been two international breaks where they've had fuck all of any note to put on).

I don't know if Alonso told Olly Kay about it, or if Kay knew anyway (I've known about it for weeks, and lots of other people definitely knew - former team-mates, friends of Alonso, staff at lfc.tv, journalists etc), but the way that was worded by Kay was odd.

"It wasn't Alonso's decision not to publish a letter" Of course it wasn't, he's hardly going to send a letter to lfctv but say 'here you go, a letter to the fans, but don't print it' is he?!?!

Alonso should have just sent it to the Echo when the website didn't run it, but maybe after a few months he felt there was no point anymore, I don't know.

It's not a particularly big deal in the grand scheme of things, and doesn't make Benitez any better or worse a football manager, but as goatboy said, it is rather petty.

It is petty Dave without a doubt as what harm would it have done to let the lad say goodbye on the official channel.

What im getting at is this is another stick been used to beat the manager with yet the player who actually left the club would probably walk on water in many Liverpool fans eye's.

Rafa is a stubborn twat and probably wants fuck all else to do with Alonso which is wrong to me as Alonso played a major part in whatever Liverpool achieved over this last few years but to pinpoint a comment by Kay regards a letter when Xabi is trying to pay Rafa and the club a compliment is shite.

In my opinion of course which of late is a very minority one.

It is petty Dave without a doubt as what harm would it have done to let the lad say goodbye on the official channel.

What im getting at is this is another stick been used to beat the manager with yet the player who actually left the club would probably walk on water in many Liverpool fans eye's.

Rafa is a stubborn twat and probably wants fuck all else to do with Alonso which is wrong to me as Alonso played a major part in whatever Liverpool achieved over this last few years but to pinpoint a comment by Kay regards a letter when Xabi is trying to pay Rafa and the club a compliment is shite.

In my opinion of course which of late is a very minority one.

I see your point coop, but you have to expect that people are going to pick up on something like that, as it's just wrong, as you even say yourself. You think people should not mention it?

It also speaks volumes about Alonso that he's still prepared to put all that aside and come out and speak up for Benitez because he's under pressure. As durango said in his opening posts, a touch of class.

I see your point coop, but you have to expect that people are going to pick up on something like that, as it's just wrong, as you even say yourself. You think people should not mention it?

It also speaks volumes about Alonso that he's still prepared to put all that aside and come out and speak up for Benitez because he's under pressure. As durango said in his opening posts, a touch of class.

As i said earlier mate i do think its wrong that Alonso never got his letter printed on the offal.

I also fully understand why people mention but my point is instead of focusing purely on that due to been able to have a go at the manager with why is so little been said of the fact that Alonso has come out and defended Rafa.

Alonso could have quite easily had a go but he is of better class then that and has backed the manager.

Something that many ex players should take notice of.

Haha yeah, that too!

That article, without the letter business, would have been a real boost, heartwarming even, but it's like they can't help themselves.

Heard something about a couple of players the other day but was sworn to secrecy. If true (BIG if, as there are still so many agendas around) I honestly don't think there's anyone at the club worth a carrot, cept maybe Carra and Torres.

YNWA? Fucking joke.

Alonso is too intelligent not to realise Madrid could change their manager 5 times during Xabi's contract duration and Rafa could be one of them.

Having said that, I don't expect him to say a bad word about us, including Rafa. The man is class, on and off the pitch.

As for not printing his letter in .tv, that is just silly. Especially when they waste so much server space to print Tomkins' rubbish.

Seems odd and petty that they wont print the letter.

It still amazes me though that no one seems to want to ever discuss Xabi having 2 poor seasons (by his own admission) and then when he is almost sold to an inferior league/club so we can try and improve our midfield adn try and put in a first ever title challenge; he all of a sudden can put any of this upset people keep referring to behind him for 12 months, play superb, and get his move to a huge club. I loved Xabi, but how he acted over the summer left a hugely sour taste in my mouth. For me, he treated us like gimps, got his dream move, and now has everyone convinced that he was the one wronged? Rubbish in my opinion, and I can't find it in myself to wish to him well.

I know this will be entirely ignored and it will be 100% Rafas fault for losing Xabi, but thought I'd say it anyway.

Same shit we've been through before. The Kop let Rafa know what they thought of Alonso leaving, despite these two 'poor' seasons. He was an integral part of the formation change from March 2008 onwards. His departure, Gerrard and Torres' fitness woes, Mascherano's attitude and Kuyt's dreadful form have all collided to make one big fuck off mess.

And not having the same defence from game to game.

It still amazes me though that no one seems to want to ever discuss Xabi having 2 poor seasons (by his own admission) and then when he is almost sold to an inferior league/club so we can try and improve our midfield adn try and put in a first ever title challenge; he all of a sudden can put any of this upset people keep referring to behind him for 12 months, play superb, and get his move to a huge club. I loved Xabi, but how he acted over the summer left a hugely sour taste in my mouth. For me, he treated us like gimps, got his dream move, and now has everyone convinced that he was the one wronged? Rubbish in my opinion, and I can't find it in myself to wish to him well.

I know this will be entirely ignored and it will be 100% Rafas fault for losing Xabi, but thought I'd say it anyway.

I think that was his just his agent/PR people.

He admitted he was moving to RM for cash reasons when he was speaking to a Spanish journalist.

When that reappeared in England, some overenthusiastic, thick but good-looking upper-class PR girl probably shat herself & engineered that ridiculous NotW interview.

Now he is talking from the heart again, he is defending Rafa as he knows he is an excellent manager & he knows that he is not the reason he joined RM.

PR people & their constant spinning are responsible for so much shit.......

The club however should have published the letter if it was truthful.

Alonso wouldn't have left if the club hadn't been trying to sell him. It's the same scenario as with McManaman years earlier. We tried to sell him to Barcelona, which pissed him off, so he jumped at the next chance.

In my view, it was the same with Alonso. Alonso hasn't changed as a player, he's always been top class. He had a spell where injuries affected him in a big way, but that happens in football.

There were lots of people on here wanting him to be sold a couple of summers ago whereas plenty of others were saying how much they wanted him to stay because they knew he would play consistently well when fit.

Just thought i'd say it ;-).

As for this situation with the letter; an absolute joke.

Alonso wouldn't have left if the club hadn't been trying to sell him.

The first statement keeps being repeated over and over again as a fact. No one knows what he would have done. Why can't people just accept that there are always multiple reasons for someone's actions, the statements such as the first one above are simplistic beyond belief and serve just to divide the club even further.

The second statement, even if it is an opinion, is 100% correct. The club should provide Alonso an opportunity to say whatever he wants, he has earned it.

Alonso wouldn't have left if the club hadn't been trying to sell him. It's the same scenario as with McManaman years earlier. We tried to sell him to Barcelona, which pissed him off, so he jumped at the next chance.

In my view, it was the same with Alonso. Alonso hasn't changed as a player, he's always been top class. He had a spell where injuries affected him in a big way, but that happens in football.

There were lots of people on here wanting him to be sold a couple of summers ago whereas plenty of others were saying how much they wanted him to stay because they knew he would play consistently well when fit.

Just thought i'd say it ;-).

I could see the reasons for selling him that summer and said as much quite a bit. We hadn't challenged for the title and so something had to change. Gerrard was the best around, Masch was superb, so Alonso was the choice to move on. After 2 years of been very average, this spurned him on to play really well. And that annoys the fuck out of me about Alonso. I feel he let us down.

The first statement keeps being repeated over and over again as a fact. No one knows what he would have done. Why can't people just accept that there are always multiple reasons for someone's actions, the statements such as the first one above are simplistic beyond belief and serve just to divide the club even further.

The second statement, even if it is an opinion, is 100% correct. The club should provide Alonso an opportunity to say whatever he wants, he has earned it.

The first bit was just my opinion. I thought that was clear, what with this being a forum an all?

Or do we need to use a disclaimer every time we post? Unless I state otherwise, everything I post is my opinion.

I could see the reasons for selling him that summer and said as much quite a bit. We hadn't challenged for the title and so something had to change. Gerrard was the best around, Masch was superb, so Alonso was the choice to move on. After 2 years of been very average, this spurned him on to play really well. And that annoys the fuck out of me about Alonso. I feel he let us down.

I couldn't disagree more but we'll just end it here because this has been done to death.