You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland Match Thread (17th October 2009)

Herp McDerp

Big head would have been planning for this thinking that we would have Gerrard and Torres playing, so with them both out it could mess up his preparation and we might get a result. bit of a long shot but you never know.

defo like to see yossi given Gerrards role for a change though.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus Fuck. As optimistic posts go, this'll take some beating.

Gotta have faith. no point in being negative. Although saying that Benitez will prob take a neg approach and play with fuck all up front. The thoughts of either babel, voronin or ngog leading the line away from home is scary.

Big head would have been planning for this thinking that we would have Gerrard and Torres playing, so with them both out it could mess up his preparation and we might get a result. bit of a long shot but you never know.

defo like to see yossi given Gerrards role for a change though.

No matter how much you prepare to stop Torres and Gerrard, having Babel up front is far easier to stop even if you've never seen Babel play.

--------------------------reina------------------------

johnson-----------carra------------skrtel--------aurelio

yossi--------------masch-----------lucas--------rieira

---------------kuyt------------babel------------------

If we have no pace up front sunderland will play a high line to try and squeeze our play. Its important that we have someone of pac to make them worry and we only have babel.

In a wierd way, I'm actually pretty upbeat about this one. Time for the rest of the team to show that we can cope without our stars, just like they did on several occasions last year.

The main difference this year is the quality of the rest of our squad who played when Gerrard and Torres were missing last year.

Last season we had the likes of Keane and Alonso in the team, whereas now its Lucas and either Voronin or N'gog up front.

The owners must take the blame for this. They haven't given Rafa enough money to bring in top quality replacements for the players that have left the club.

can i just point something out...

It is when we face these tough times and we all write ourselves off that we get great results. Honestly it is, its happened countless times under Benitez.

That said, having pointed that out I have probably negated the impact of the underdog, so we will now get fucked.

--------------------------reina------------------------

johnson-----------carra------------skrtel--------Insua

------ -----lucas--------masch

Kuyt--------------Babel-----------Yossi

- --------------Ngog------------

Can't say I'm convinced but, with the available players, I reckon this side has about the best strength and balance to it.

can i just point something out...

It is when we face these tough times and we all write ourselves off that we get great results. Honestly it is, its happened countless times under Benitez.

That said, having pointed that out I have probably negated the impact of the underdog, so we will now get fucked.

1) It has happened plenty of times under Benitez. So often that one could almost think he's been rather fortunate and the well-timed victories have papered over cracks.

2) You've used the word "underdog" in a post about Liverpool FC playing Sunderland. That just about says it all. Depressing.

The main difference this year is the quality of the rest of our squad who played when Gerrard and Torres were missing last year.

Last season we had the likes of Keane and Alonso in the team, whereas now its Lucas and either Voronin or N'gog up front.

The owners must take the blame for this. They haven't given Rafa enough money to bring in top quality replacements for the players that have left the club.

Having said that, and don't get me wrong i think he's a great player, did we really need to spent 18million on a right back when we could've just kept the one we had who wasn't doin that bad a job? That money could've gone elsewhere.

This isn't me sayin he was a waste of money in any way. He's been one of our best performers this season.

Anyone care to speculate why a) Yossi has never played as the 2nd striker and b) why this would change all of a sudden?

He played there when we played Arsenal at home and was brilliant. He's defo played there at another point last season but i cant remember when.

Either way, he's gonna be by far the most creative and potent attacker we'll have on the pitch so we need him where he can do the most damage.

------------Riena--------------

Johnson--Carra---Skrtle--Aurelio

---Lucas/Spearing---Masch---

Babel-----Yossi-----Riera----

----------Kuyt-------------

I think we'll go with this team. And unleash N' Gog for the last 20 minutes to grab an undeserved winner.

1) It has happened plenty of times under Benitez. So often that one could almost think he's been rather fortunate and the well-timed victories have papered over cracks.

2) You've used the word "underdog" in a post about Liverpool FC playing Sunderland. That just about says it all. Depressing.

I was aware of both when posting that. And you are right.

As much as i like rafa, and as much as things have not been stacked in his favour for much of his time with us, you do have to wonder if we should be getting into this position so often.

Also, i used underdog in its correct context unfortunately on this occasion, which is as you say, depressing.

Having said that, and don't get me wrong i think he's a great player, did we really need to spent 18million on a right back when we could've just kept the one we had who wasn't doin that bad a job? That money could've gone elsewhere.

This isn't me sayin he was a waste of money in any way. He's been one of our best performers this season.

your gona fit right in with some on here:whistle:

--------------Reina----------------

Johnson--Skrtel---Carragher-Aurelio

Kuyt---Mascherano---Lucas---Riera

---------------Veronin--------------

---------------------Ngog----------

Cavalieri Insua Agger Spearing Plessis Benayoun Babbel

Our £1.5 million strike force will do the business.

Only worry i've got about that team is the tiredness of our South American axis.

Kuyt (or any other available striker) on his own won't work. Is anyone seriously expecting any of them to receive the ball high up the pitch with defenders all over them and hold the ball up for the runners? No, thought not. Whoever plays up front tomorrow will need close support. None of them apart from Benayoun and Voronin (!) have got any football brain.

I was aware of both when posting that. And you are right.

As much as i like rafa, and as much as things have not been stacked in his favour for much of his time with us, you do have to wonder if we should be getting into this position so often.

Also, i used underdog in its correct context unfortunately on this occasion, which is as you say, depressing.

This position has nothing to do with Rafa, he cannot control what he cannot control. Furthermore, I see us as favorites, with or without Gerrard and Torres. I expect a win based on the players available, whether the team will perform, we will see.