You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Super Sub

Got the boy home. A bit overwhelmed by new surroundings but seems happy.

Here he is sleeping, eating and standing up all in one.

Worralad.

3c63ded94b5ef0226834bfe467cb981a.jpg

Post more pics of the dog he is a belter and I am now intrigued by him and his story. ( I know I am very sad).

Edit: can you explain how he ended up in a kennel and how long he has been in kennels if you know to indulge my interest.

His story isn't one of abuse or mistreatment, merely he had an owner with a warped sense of logic.

He was born and raised in Cumbria, I'm fairly sure he would have cost his owners £500+ when he was a puppy and his recall and general attitude is brilliant so he was obviously trained well. However, towards the end of last year the previous owners took him to a local vet and asked for him to be put down as they have just learned the woman in the couple was pregnant and they were unsure how he would be around a new born baby. Whether he had shown signs of aggression or were simply acting off the reputation of the breed, I don't know but after some quizzing by the vet it seems they tried unsuccessfully to re home him, and felt it was too cruel to put him into a kennel as a life in a cage was too no life for him. I was in disbelief when I heard the story, quite how someone can think it's better to end a life rather than attempt a bit harder to make it better - I'll never quite understand, but one thing life has taught me is that an exceptionally large amount of people are just massive fucking cunts.

Anyway, the vet took him in. Whether he told the owners he was destroying the dog I don't know but the dog never left the surgery that night as he couldn't take the risk of leaving him in the hands of people with that sort of reasoning.

The vet already had 2 dogs at home and one of them just didn't get along with my little friend here, so he was forced to contact the rescue centre and see if they had a space for him.

So here we are. He went into an assessment process to gauge his behaviour and once they were happy he was made available for adoption. We went to meet him on Good Friday and it was absolutely love at first sight. My mrs was a bit unsure about getting a dog but she was 100% convinced from the first meet onwards. Apparently you just know if it's right and I can confirm this. We then had to undergo an assessment where the rescue centre come to the house to check it's suitability and meet us to find out more. We had to get the fences in the garden sorted to make it secure and they had to be happy we weren't going to just leave him alone all day when we are at work. Once they were happy we got the go ahead to take him home. We went back to the centre twice before taking him as we wanted him to be comfortable with us before thrusting a totally new world on him. It seems to have worked as he's settled in absolutely brilliantly.

Fingers crossed we haven't just had a lucky intro but the signs are he's going to be an absolute star. His understanding of commands is amazing, he stays on his mat when we eat and he gets on his bed when asked. No little presents left in the house and no barking or whining at all when it was time for bed.

If you are thinking of rehoming a dog, but are sceptical- the centres are amazing. The people who work there are naturally all dog lovers so they are looked after really well and often aid with discipline so any problems can start to be sorted out long before they come home with you.

It's obviously early days for us and our new mate Diesel here, but he's been incredible so far and seems like he's been here for months already.

I think I'm going to be a little bit obsessed with this little fella.

• Upvote 4

Thank fuck for that.

I've not been about much on here recently as I've been busy with my new job, so I'm well behind with all the goings on - but after reading the last few pages of this thread and then you saying you missed him Col, I'll admit I feared the worst.

So Milo is about to embark (hell yeah getting that in) on a new adventure in sunny climes then? Wicked. How is it all going over there?

• Upvote 1

Thank fuck for that.

I've not been about much on here recently as I've been busy with my new job, so I'm well behind with all the goings on - but after reading the last few pages of this thread and then you saying you missed him Col, I'll admit I feared the worst.

So Milo is about to embark (hell yeah getting that in) on a new adventure in sunny climes then? Wicked. How is it all going over there?

He's well, we still have to monitor the cancer in his eye but the vet reckons he'll probably die with it, not because of it.

The legend will be 15 in a couple of months.

I'm loving it out here, weather and everything (bar a lack of cider and the prices!) is amazing. I love the job, have all the control I want and whenever I speak to my boss he tells me it's my job, sort it how I want

The freedom and control I have out here would never be available to me in the UK. I wanna fair whack more than I would in the UK and its tax free.

It's all A fucking 1 apart from the bird not settling. I'm hoping Milo will help but she's really not happy here so its touch and go long term unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

Thank fuck for that.

I hope your new job pays a bit more so you can sort some proper patio furniture.

Diesel deserves better! He looks like a beaut.

The people at the rescue centres, RSPCA, etc do a great job, i'd more than likely be chinning half the idiots that come in dumping their pets off.

Col you are in Dubia. I think you can have the fiancee put down under their laws.

I lost Jodie the week before last. I hadn't thought about it for a while till this thread got bumped, and remembered my post above.

Great dog she was. It felt like a really quick deterioration from that walk on the beach, come to think of it. But I'm glad I got it in because she fucking loved the beach.

Cried my leg off when the vet told us, she was just dying, no particular thing to pin it on, just time. You could see she knew herself it was time, she just had that look in her eyes, she had nothing left. I stayed with her when they did it. 

It's hard but I know damn sure when the the time is right, I will get another dog. Wonderful creatures.

Sorry to hear that, la. I had to go our staff put down last year and she'd been with us since I was 10. Still fucking kills me that she's gone, to be honest, but eventually the pain of losing her is nothing compared to all the joy and happiness that she was responsible for when she was here. She had a hysterectomy when she was four and had been struggling with arthritis for the last five years, but battled through it all and managed to live until she was nearly 14, which is a fucking great age for a staff, let alone one with all the health problems she endured. Very lucky that she lasted so long in that regard. Always thought I'd never have the stones to stay with her when they did it because I am, by and large, a complete shithouse, but when it came down to it there was no way I was going to leave her by herself when they did it.

Looking at moving out over the next few months but definitely making sure I rent somewhere that will allow me to get another dog, or maybe two. I'm not sure what breed to go for, tbh. Not a big fan of little yappy dogs, one because their barks are too fucking annoying, especially when hungover, and two I'm always scared of doing a 'Chris Moltisanti' and accidentally injuring one if it's underneath a cushion or something. Been looking at the various rescue centres over the North West and, but had to knock it on the head for now because I'd end up seeing a boss dog and then realise it'll probably have a new home by the time I can get one.Would definitely get another staff, like, have even been thinking of getting rotties. There were these two brothers in a home in Halewood that I had my heart set on but they got adopted by some fella who lives on a farm. 

B-XIhUJIYAAbwPj.jpg

Love this thread, though. Dogs are the best.

My Chesapeake lab is 12 yrs old, still spry. Still thick as fuck but the most lovable dog ever. Went for a four mile walk today and he is slowing down, might wve to cut it back. It's spring hunting here so there are loads of caribou bits falling off the komatiks (wooden sleds the Inuit tow behind skidoos and put the caribou on) so he is in heaven.

He's well, we still have to monitor the cancer in his eye but the vet reckons he'll probably die with it, not because of it.

The legend will be 15 in a couple of months.

I'm loving it out here, weather and everything (bar a lack of cider and the prices!) is amazing. I love the job, have all the control I want and whenever I speak to my boss he tells me it's my job, sort it how I want

The freedom and control I have out here would never be available to me in the UK. I wanna fair whack more than I would in the UK and its tax free.

It's all A fucking 1 apart from the bird not settling. I'm hoping Milo will help but she's really not happy here so its touch and go long term unfortunately.

I'm glad it's going well for you mate, I don't know you but from the heartbreak you've suffered these past months/years if someone deserves a shot at success, it's you.

I hope Milo's imminent arrival settles the Mrs down and everything works out for you.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Picking up this little fella on the 4th of June

Posted Image

I wanted a lab but the house isn't big enough. We looked after her mum and dads one and it wouldn't have been fair so we are getting a sproodle. I was against it as ive never been arsed about small dogs but they got one a few months back as the lab is getting on a bit and he is ace. Cant wait

• Upvote 5