You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Aquilani

ReddOrDedd

Second clean sheet of the season.

WOO!

The other ONLY other clean sheet this season was against Leeds United, and to be fair to them their "goal" should have been allowed anyway.

Fuck me, we are SERIOUSLY shit.

What about the Mancs at home?

I'd love it, love it, if we went out and battered teams. It would be brilliant going into the derby full of confidence on the back of a massive win.

But I honestly think we'd have been fucked had we gone into it having drawn or lost. Especially if we went out knowing that Fiorentina had messed up.

If we'd had the policy of digging in for the last five minutes in the Lyon games, holding on to what we had at all costs, we'd not have been out of the Champions League yet.

I hate talking like this, because I despise boring football, but I think we've more chance of hanging onto 1-0 wins the form we're in than we have of killing teams off 3-0.

Just avoid the fouls.

It was out of our hands, we should have gone out there, battered them and made Fiorentina worry about us. But no, when has Rafa made any team worry about what we'll do, he's far interested in playing 'compact'.

The fact that you think that performance and result is acceptable speaks volumes. Scraping a 1-0 against the groups whipping boys is a job well done, please.

so far it seems that he cant handle the physical nature of the English training

Yes, but we weren't playing an english team tonight.

I think it's more about having him on the bench for "window dressing" - Rafa's put his reputation on the line and won't admit he's not fit. How it helps the player being dragged all the way to Hungary is, however, anyone's guess.

Fair enough. I was just going off the top of my head and I was wrong.

Turns out we're actually amazing.

No turns out after-match posting ain't the best thing for reason.

We aren't great at the back but tonights clean sheet is something to build on.

Some people have backed themselves into a corner so much that they now simply refuse to see ANYTHING wrong in decisons made by Rafa.

To give Aquilani just 90 seconds or whatever it was when he DESPERATELY NEEDS games to get fit, is just a fucking shocking decision. There was nothing clever about it at all, it was just fucking stupid.

If Rafa feels he isn't ready, then he should be playing for the reserves and not be on the bench. I get the feeling that Rafa is only willing to bring him on if we're comfortably winning a game. Well guess what, we are struggling to win any games by any margins so that aint gonna happen any time soon!

Rafa is becoming even more of a shitbag, in my view and I genuinely didn't think that was possible.

Debrecen are an absolutely awful team; whipping boys if there were any, but no, we're happy to just scrape a win against them and keep our defensive midfield on the pitch to grind it out.

Fuck off.

To give Aquilani just 90 seconds or whatever it was when he DESPERATELY NEEDS games to get fit, is just a fucking shocking decision. There was nothing clever about it at all, it was just fucking stupid.

Winning the game tonight was more important than the fitness of Aquilani.

If Rafa feels he isn't ready, then he should be playing for the reserves and not be on the bench. I get the feeling that Rafa is only willing to bring him on if we're comfortably winning a game. Well guess what, we are struggling to win any games by any margins so that aint gonna happen any time soon!

He isn't making an attacking substitution while the game is in our favour but in the balance. The only one to realistically make is taking Gerrard off. I could only imagine the uproar if that was to happen ealier on.

Rafa is becoming even more of a shitbag, in my view and I genuinely didn't think that was possible.

Debrecen are an absolutely awful team; whipping boys if there were any, but no, we're happy to just scrape a win against them and keep our defensive midfield on the pitch to grind it out.

Aye, why didn't we win 4-3 there like Fiorentina.

Reading RAWK is depressing, they still won't dare question Benitez or lay any blame for this mess on him. Most deluded forum on the internet.

Excrutiating isn't it?

One of the dickhead mods has even started a thread having a go at Gary Mc for having the temerity to be baffled by yet another baffling Benitez decision.

Winning the game tonight was more important than the fitness of Aquilani.

He isn't making an attacking substitution while the game is in our favour but in the balance. The only one to realistically make is taking Gerrard off. I could only imagine the uproar if that was to happen ealier on.

Aye, why didn't we win 4-3 there like Fiorentina.

You really have no idea what you are talking about. It's actually quite scary.

Point A; Aquilani getting match fitness would have ultimately achieved more than tonight's win did - fact.

Point B; I know, hence why he's a shitbag.

Point C; Where did I mention anything about wanting us to win 4-3?

Point A; Aquilani getting match fitness would have ultimately achieved more than tonight's win did - fact.

In hindsight.

A - Lisandro lashes his injury time effort in the top corner to equalise, yet getting Aquilani match fit at 1-0 is more important an we concede.

Well done we are then in the competition that you are seemingly bemoaning that we are in.

B - Aye, he's a shitbag for not risking anything in a game we need to win that we are only one up in. Cautious perhaps, shitbag? Get a grip mate.

C - You mentioned about scrapping a win, I imagine that a 4-3 win would have scrapped it also.

A - Lisandro lashes his injury time effort in the top corner to equalise, yet getting Aquilani match fit at 1-0 is more important an we concede.

Well done we are then in the competition that you are seemingly bemoaning that we are in.

B - Aye, he's a shitbag for not risking anything in a game we need to win that we are only one up in. Cautious perhaps, shitbag? Get a grip mate.

C - You mentioned about scrapping a win, I imagine that a 4-3 win would have scrapped it also.

Hang on, this is about the fourth time i've seen this suggested now, so i'll ask the question.

Why would we be more likely to NOT win a game with Aquilani playing? What are people basing this on?

Please enlighten me.

Hang on, this is about the fourth time i've seen this suggested now, so i'll ask the question.

Why would we be more likely to NOT win a game with Aquilani playing? What are people basing this on?

Please enlighten me.

Aren't you the one stating that Aquilani would change the defensive side of our central midfield therefore make us more likely to be open to the counter-attack, etc.

As I said, the decision not to bring him on was probably a cautious one given we had to win tonight. But a shitebag one is massively over the top.