You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When Alonso inevitably leaves I think Benitez might have to consider changing our approach to the way we play slightly. The fact is at present the majority of our play goes through Alonso – He is the player who takes the ball off our centre backs, he is the central midfielder who is always free and willing to have the ball. Not to mention the fact he feeds Gerrard and our wide midfielders. Sure he doesn’t get many assists, however he does make us tick, gives our side control and is often the player who makes the telling pass before the assist… similar to Xavi at Barcelona.

Now Benitez can go for a like for like replacement, however just looking at the thread on possible replacements for Alonso, it is clear – that there aren’t many (if any) who are good enough, within our budget or would be willing to come to Anfield. But it is clear Mascherano needs a ‘footballer’ alongside him who can pass well, make our side play and pull the strings in midfield.

Personally I think given there are very few options, then we’d be better off putting Gerrard back into midfield, rather than relying on Lucas or an inferior replacement for Alonso. The reason for this is if we are not controlling games, then Gerrard is pretty much wasted playing so high up the field as he is not involved fully in the game. He’s our best player and we need him on the ball as much as possible, giving him as much chance to stamp his authority on games and ultimately influence them. It also might give our side a new dimension in attack, as Alonso wasn’t really contributing in terms of goals and assists, as Gerrard can provide.

I do think Benitez will be reluctant to break up the Torres / Gerrard combination and who can blame him, as it is arguably the best in the world. However that is not to say other players could link up well with Torres, as Yossi showed last season. I also think there are far more attacking players who are more likely to link up well with Torres, than there are top central midfielders who can offer what Alonso was. This is why I’d look to put Gerrard back into the centre.

Gerrard is not the indisciplined youngster that Rafa inherited when he came to the club. He’s matured and shown he can play the more disciplined role in centre midfield. The last few season’s he wasn’t needed in the middle as we had the luxury of having a brilliant combination in Alonso and Mascherano. However now it is different and I think we need to use the departure of Alonso as an opportunity to improve our team as a whole and I believe that is achievable by putting Gerrard into centre midfield, where he can dominate, get goals, assists and we aren’t just relying on the front four players for this.

We might lack less control, however we’ll have more dynamism, energy, threat, urgency and intent… this is what we need in the Premiership a league where you have to win games, rather than not lose them. I suspect |I am in the minority, but I think it is time for a change and I would be looking to put Gerrard back into the heart of our team.

Would anyone have pitched Alonso when we were looking for a midfielder in 2004?

Just because Aquilani, Martinez, Cambiasso, Cattermole etc have both been deemed not good enough does not mean they are not good enough, while just because they have been linked does not mean they will come.

Anyway, Rafa has two options, basically, if/when Xabi leaves. One is dropping Gerrard back to midfield, the other is not. One involves replacing Gerrard, essentially, and one involves replacing Alonso. I suspect, as hyperbolic and shrieky as the rancour over his exit has become, the latter is easier.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Would anyone have pitched Alonso when we were looking for a midfielder in 2004?

Just because Aquilani, Martinez, Cambiasso, Cattermole etc have both been deemed not good enough does not mean they are not good enough, while just because they have been linked does not mean they will come.

Anyway, Rafa has two options, basically, if/when Xabi leaves. One is dropping Gerrard back to midfield, the other is not. One involves replacing Gerrard, essentially, and one involves replacing Alonso. I suspect, as hyperbolic and shrieky as the rancour over his exit has become, the latter is easier.

I would have pitched for Alonso, but then again, I'm a football genius

In all seriousness, Javi Martinez is the one I like the look of, and isn't that far off the age that Xabi was when we signed him, might not be as polished or developed as Xabi was as he is that bit younger, but that can also have it's benefits.

Edited by Ulysses Everett McGill

In all seriousness, Javi Martinez is the one I like the look of

Of all the names that have been mentioned, he seems the best bet, physically and financially. Aquilani's better than everyone's saying he is, but he is injury prone, and I think Cambiasso would cost too much. Martinez'd give us a bit more dynamism in there as well, which in time could control games to the same level Xabi does, just not in the same way. The only problem is that I'm not sure I'd be happy having a 20-year-old in there in big games.But then I'd have probably said the same about Xabi, which proves that I basically know fuck all.

If I remember correctly, I wanted Rafa to sign David Albelda in 2004. I think this means you're more of a football genius than me. But that I have better taste in hair.

Gerrard is too good up with Nando. He wont get moved.

But it is useless if he's not getting the ball or we aren't controlling the game.

It's great when we have loads of poessession, then Gerrard in the final third is a huge threat and a match winner.

But when we are not he's wasted, as he needs to be part of the action, as he's our best player.

Well we already have a player at the club who can link up well with Torres and perform in the role behind Torres in Benayoun. That's without considering potential new signings such as Silva etc.

I think finding a replacement for Alonso is harder, someone who can pull the strings and that's why I'd look to put Gerrard back into the centre, hopefully giving the side more threat as a result.

Why are we having this discussion again? It is in the Super duper Xabi thread as a sticky, with a poll and most people has already voted on what they want and it is Gerrard up with Torres. Putting it into another thread and going on about it again, is quite frankly stupid.

The Alonso thread has about 15 different debates going on in it.

This is specific about putting Gerrard back into the middle. I might be in the minority, but it doesn't mean my opinion isn't valid.

In all seriousness, Javi Martinez is the one I like the look of, and isn't that far off the age that Xabi was when we signed him, might not be as polished or developed as Xabi was as he is that bit younger, but that can also have it's benefits.

Andy knows. Would cost about £10 Million.

Thought that Martinez was a bag of shite in the Euro Under 21 thingy to be honest. Hurts me to say that with him being a Bilbao player and all.

Not for me, especially not to replace Alonso either.

Aye he was, got dropped for the last game. Looked lost. He wouldn't be troubling Lucas for a starting place IMO.

But it is useless if he's not getting the ball or we aren't controlling the game.

It's great when we have loads of poessession, then Gerrard in the final third is a huge threat and a match winner.

But when we are not he's wasted, as he needs to be part of the action, as he's our best player.

c7.48.4.kneejerk.jpg

The fact that he scored goals, got assists, created chances for others in plenty of games last season when Xabi wasn't playing suggests this is a kneejerk reaction based on a single game.

It's also a theory that isn't borne out by the reality of how he plays. Because he starts the game as a second striker doesn't mean that he spends all his time there. He's spent his whole career playing as a CM so he knows what it takes and he can spot when he needs to drop back to help out.

gerrardposition.jpg

Which he does ALL the time. As the above shows. He is smart enough to know how to get involved in the game you know.

But you'd rather lock him into a defensive role and break up the partnership with Torres.

And you wonder why it's not a popular opinion?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

This is the last thing I want to see happen. We'd be breaking up the best pairing in world football. It would take an amazing player for me to want to do that. Somebody like Villa. Even then, I wouldn't be thrilled.

What we need is a very good midfielder to replace Alonso. Aquilani is that guy, or he would be if he wasn't made of glass.

This is the last thing I want to see happen. We'd be breaking up the best pairing in world football. It would take an amazing player for me to want to do that. Somebody like Villa. Even then, I wouldn't be thrilled.

What we need is a very good midfielder to replace Alonso. Aquilani is that guy, or he would be if he wasn't made of glass.

He's going to be more direct though right?

I don't think we have anybody who is available and that we can buy who is as good as Xabi and what he does- bar Gerrard. I know he is amazing in his position but I think there are others nearly as good e.g. Sergio Aguero. If Xabi is sold my preferred option would be to move Gerrard back, give him a licence to attack ala Scholes did at United and get in a world class number 10.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I don't think we have anybody who is available and that we can buy who is as good as Xabi and what he does- bar Gerrard. I know he is amazing in his position but I think there are others nearly as good e.g. Sergio Aguero. If Xabi is sold my preferred option would be to move Gerrard back, give him a licence to attack ala Scholes did at United and get in a world class number 10.

Getting a replacement for Alonso will be much, much cheaper than getting a replacement for Gerrard, assuming we want to keep the quality up. Gerrard isn't disciplined enough for that role in midfield.

According to Tony at the Echo, Aquilani is the replacement. I'm glad I don't have to worry too much about it.

c7.48.4.kneejerk.jpg

The fact that he scored goals, got assists, created chances for others in plenty of games last season when Xabi wasn't playing suggests this is a kneejerk reaction based on a single game.

It's also a theory that isn't borne out by the reality of how he plays. Because he starts the game as a second striker doesn't mean that he spends all his time there. He's spent his whole career playing as a CM so he knows what it takes and he can spot when he needs to drop back to help out.

gerrardposition.jpg

Which he does ALL the time. As the above shows. He is smart enough to know how to get involved in the game you know.

But you'd rather lock him into a defensive role and break up the partnership with Torres.

And you wonder why it's not a popular opinion?

You sir, are Repped!

That's fantastic stuff - just like a Geography degree - colouring in and everything!!!!!!