You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

You really think so? As much as I hope you're right, I would prefer to see him prove himself on loan this year.

And I'm with Coop on the pricing of our players. If we can't get 7-8m pounds for Arbeloa, there's not much use in selling him now.

As for Xabi it is pay up or shut up time for Real. I'd hold out for 35m.

I don't see the point in sending him on loan when he is our best back up for Johnson if Arbeloa goes, the money would be better served elsewhere and he is also one of the most mature and consistent performers we've had in years in defence.

This lad reminds me of Carragher in that I just believe he will make it because he has done things the right way and has talent. His covering of the centre back is excellent and his last ditch tackling (ala Carra) is his "trademark" if you like.

The lad has more than earned his chance for me and sending him on loan just doesn't make any sense, he is either good enough to be given a chance as a back up or not.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Perez won't pay a lot of money for a player he doesn't see as glamorous. It's what happened with Makalele all over again, and you'd hope Xabi will see that. Perez's whole business plan is based on shirt sales and tour fees, and Alonso isn't the sort of player who'll add to that, except through his on-pitch excellence, which Perez isn't that bothered about.

It looks more and more like it'll be Mascherano who goes and Alonso who stays - Valdano's admitted today they're miles away from our valuation - which doesn't exactly speak volumes about Masche's loyalty after Rafa rescued him from the scrapheap. Apparently Guardiola sees a lot of himself in Mascherano, which suggests he hasn't seen him pass recently.

Don't be fooled that the Madridistas don't want Xabi, in 2004 he was their most wanted player according to polls and they still would love to have him and his shirt would sell make no mistake.

The problem is that Madrid believe they can get him cheaper. They knew they wouldn't get Ronaldo cheaper, they tried and the price got hiked up again. They knew they wouldn't get Kaka cheaper, especially given there were other clubs prepared to pay more. No one is in for Xabi and his last valuation was 15m by around Rafa himself. As great as Xabi is (and Madrid know it or they wouldn't be after him) paying over double the price you could have got him last season based off one good season is not something you would be urging us to do.

Add to that the fact they have other irons in the fire with Ribery and Villa (to some extent) and also perhaps Silva and it is about spreading the money.

Madrid may come across as stupid in signing Kaka and Ronaldo but both give them something they didn't have and they will pay for themselves as you said (within a few years).

Song for Xabi - Joe Dolce

Xabi, Xabi, if you stay ita makea mea 'appy

Xabi, Xabi, if you leave ita bea soa crappy

Ahh shaddap you face.

or song for Xabi - Should I stay or should I go

Should I stay or Should I go

If I stay I will earn double

If I go I will make trouble

Come on and let me know

Should I stay or should I go

or song for Xabi - Should I stay or should I go

Should I stay or Should I go

If I stay I will earn double

If I go I will make trouble

Come on and let me know

Should I stay or should I go

That should be "If i go i will earn treble" I reckon.

How many players have we sent out on loan who then eventually haven't been sold?

It's a kiss of death

If the club believe in him enough to give him a 3 year contract, they should give him a chance.

If a loan is the only way forward then it should only be to a premier league club, and as contraversial as it may sound, the best club for him would probably be Everton.

Loan deals are diffcult in the way a loan player will most likely have to be an onbvious improvent on the player he is competing against which actually belongs with the club to get enough playing time for it to be worthwhile.

Especially if the loan is set up so the player can get playing time and then be brought back opposed to a loan deal where the loaning club will have an option to buy if they are satisfied with his services.

I`m not sure there are many clubs in the PL where Darby would be the obvious first choice and Everton does certainly not fit into the category.

havent seen this elsewhere, its on GOAL.com, so not exactly, well you know.

But it does contain quotes, so may be real.

Franck Ribery & Xabi Alonso Are Out Of Real Madrid's Price Range - Jorge Valdano

With a lot of money already spent, it is not clear how much more Madrid have to buy players this summer...

7 Jul 2009 14:47:18

Real Madrid general director Jorge Valdano has acknowledged that as far as the signings of Franck Ribery and Xabi Alonso go, the prices are too high for los Blancos to make successful moves at the moment.

Bayern Munich have reportedly put an €80 million price-tag on the head of their French international winger. With regards to Alonso, Liverpool are apparently keen to keep the midfielder and Madrid have already had two bids rejected for the Spaniard.

In an interview with El Partido de la Una, Valdano was asked about the situation with Alonso, and said no deal is close.

"Xabi Alonso is a priority if he fits into our budget, but that does not seem to be the case. We are very far away from the figures that Liverpool have presented," he explained.

Likewise, Valdano acknowledged that Bayern's valuation of Ribery has all but put Madrid off buying him.

"It is a figure that is out of place. It is the same thing as them saying that they do not want to sell him," he said.

James Walker-Roberts, Goal.com

havent seen this elsewhere, its on GOAL.com, so not exactly, well you know.

But it does contain quotes, so may be real.

Franck Ribery & Xabi Alonso Are Out Of Real Madrid's Price Range - Jorge Valdano

With a lot of money already spent, it is not clear how much more Madrid have to buy players this summer...

7 Jul 2009 14:47:18

Real Madrid general director Jorge Valdano has acknowledged that as far as the signings of Franck Ribery and Xabi Alonso go, the prices are too high for los Blancos to make successful moves at the moment.

Bayern Munich have reportedly put an €80 million price-tag on the head of their French international winger. With regards to Alonso, Liverpool are apparently keen to keep the midfielder and Madrid have already had two bids rejected for the Spaniard.

In an interview with El Partido de la Una, Valdano was asked about the situation with Alonso, and said no deal is close.

"Xabi Alonso is a priority if he fits into our budget, but that does not seem to be the case. We are very far away from the figures that Liverpool have presented," he explained.

Likewise, Valdano acknowledged that Bayern's valuation of Ribery has all but put Madrid off buying him.

"It is a figure that is out of place. It is the same thing as them saying that they do not want to sell him," he said.

James Walker-Roberts, Goal.com

There was an article in one of the spanish papers explaining this. Apparently the 300m they had was 180m in cash (well loans) and the rest was to be made up from sales. Well they've spunked all their cash and there hasn't been a queue of clubs willing to give them the 120m they expected. Xabi putting the 18th deadline out there has worked in our favour.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Real Madrid can fuck right off!

Lets not start sucking each others dick quite yet

Who really wants Xabi to stay afterall this

Its a mess

Real are saying its the price, We have indicated its the price and Xabi wants to join Madrid its Gareth Barry in reverse if he stays.

After all what?

All the fans on websites going nuts every 10 mins when they've hit refresh on a Xabi Alonso thread and there is no update?

Xabi was playing an important tournement and is now on his holidays. His day is passed enjoying the weather and his family. When the time comes he will make his absolute final decision and that will be that. He will be sold or he will stay.

If it wasn't for the internet, we would be getting one newspaper report every couple of weeks or so that Madrid are still interested and that would be it.

The hysteria is caused by people posting 100 times a day on a thread when the person concerend is on the beach and not thinking of football for another few weeks.

Its a mess

Real are saying its the price, We have indicated its the price and Xabi wants to join Madrid its Gareth Barry in reverse if he stays.

I want him to stay.

Nothing disturbing has happened at all

Xabi saw a chance to get more money & we are in the process of responding.

It is a 3-way negotiation as he is in demand from 2 suitors, which is what it has always been.

He was brilliant last year & hence has 2 top clubs competing to give him more cash- Good luck to him.

Its a mess

I know what you are saying, but as I've been saying for over a week now, Real are also telling his agent that Xabi isn't doing enough to push for a move. He's a very laidback character is Xabi - not much bothers him, and he seems happy to leave it to the clubs. Which rather - finally - nails the myth that has been peddled on here since last summer that he is desperate to leave and despises Rafa. I'd love to know by the way where this myth come from; as my hunch is that it goes back to Bascombe drip-feeding (some ultimately exaggerated) info to some of his associates who post on here, and it's ballooned from there.

Fuck off with the 'He's in it for the money' shit.

If he isn't making the move for that reason, then why hasn't he issued a formal transfer request?

Because, it would,er, cost him money, maybe?

There is nothing wrong with working for money. What do you work for?

He's not going for the money so don't talk shite.

And there's a slight difference between the wage of a footballer and the wage of whatever the hell it is I do. So poor example.

He's not going for the money so don't talk shite.

And there's a slight difference between the wage of a footballer and the wage of whatever the hell it is I do. So poor example.

You know about it's about money. I know it's about money.

We know what has caused it & Xabi has discissued it in the Spanish media.

The problem is people would then have to discuss it rationally & sensibly, without trying to emotionally apportion blame.