You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic talent, we should have signed him last summer instead of Keane. I'm sure he would turn out to be a brilliant signing, he is exactly the type of player that we need.

Juventus will beat Liverpool to one Valencia player’s signature

It looks like it is very close to being a done deal between Juventus and Valencia for the signature of David Silva and while Liverpool were never realistically in the hunt they will still be disappointed as he was one player that Benitez would have loved to sign.

According to Marca the Spanish newspaper Jose Segul the Italian clubs representative is in Valencia now to finalise negotiations and that Juventus are now prepared to meet Valencia’s asking price

It has been accepted that forcing a reduced price was no good simply because if Valencia accepted a deduction in value for any of their star players they would not be able to meet their urgent debt repayments, it is simply a case of full price and money up front or nothing.

This will however encourage both Liverpool and Man City in their pursuit of Raul Albiol and David Villa respectively as it now means that Valencia have accepted that they must sell their best players to survive, time has run out and they cannot wait to see if they qualify for the Champions League.

All deals with Valencia must include a significant down payment possibly the whole amo8unt because even written guarantees of payments are no longer acceptable due to Valencia’s massive debts, this is no issue now for either Liverpool or Man City.

Valencia had hoped that other clubs would come in and force a mini auction but this has not materialised and the possibility that both Villa and Albiol will play Premiership football next season are very high.

But not equally adeptly. If we buy him it will primarily be for the left, which is his second best position with the right a dim third.

He's hardly played on the left this year. He's played 2nd striker and on the right as much as anywhere else. I long ago gave up predicting where Benitez would play someone, he'll use him all over the place I'm sure.

Silva has the capability to be an absolute sensation. He has fantastic creativity, skill and balance, to me on form he looks plays like a left footed Kaka albeit with a less physical presence.

If Rafa is really after Silva he should try to sign him up asap as his potential genius alongside the already fantastic Gerrard and Torres would be tear teams apart.

He's hardly played on the left this year. He's played 2nd striker and on the right as much as anywhere else. I long ago gave up predicting where Benitez would play someone, he'll use him all over the place I'm sure.

Valencia may play him on the right, Spain may, and Benitez might too, but it's still not his best position which seems a waste.

Very lightweight. Very talanted. I think it would be a gamble and n expensive one. However, i thought the same about Arshavin. Silva reminds me of a better Luis Garcia and if he could cope with the physical side here he'd be a brilliant signing.

Juventus will beat Liverpool to one Valencia player’s signature

It looks like it is very close to being a done deal between Juventus and Valencia for the signature of David Silva and while Liverpool were never realistically in the hunt they will still be disappointed as he was one player that Benitez would have loved to sign.

According to Marca the Spanish newspaper Jose Segul the Italian clubs representative is in Valencia now to finalise negotiations and that Juventus are now prepared to meet Valencia’s asking price

It has been accepted that forcing a reduced price was no good simply because if Valencia accepted a deduction in value for any of their star players they would not be able to meet their urgent debt repayments, it is simply a case of full price and money up front or nothing.

This will however encourage both Liverpool and Man City in their pursuit of Raul Albiol and David Villa respectively as it now means that Valencia have accepted that they must sell their best players to survive, time has run out and they cannot wait to see if they qualify for the Champions League.

All deals with Valencia must include a significant down payment possibly the whole amo8unt because even written guarantees of payments are no longer acceptable due to Valencia’s massive debts, this is no issue now for either Liverpool or Man City.

Valencia had hoped that other clubs would come in and force a mini auction but this has not materialised and the possibility that both Villa and Albiol will play Premiership football next season are very high.

The article in Marca is far less definitive than that write-up would have you believe. They were even speculating that the agent wasn't there about Silva but Aguero who he also represents.

From what I've heard, Juventus want Modric over Silva. I don't think a deal is anywhere near being done for Silva to go to Juve either.

I reckon Silva would cost around £20m, for me he is worth it. Similar situation to Torres at Atletico, where he is a quality player already, with the potential to become a world class player. He is exactly the type of player we need aswell. He would be perfect in the games at home where teams park the bus and we need to break them down.

People talk about him being lightweight, which is correct in a sense, but he is deceptively strong for his size, and has great agility and balance which help him when he is under pressure.

He has pace, intelligence, great vision, fantastic dribbling, is good with both feet. My only concern is his goal scoring ratio, but he does have a good shot on him, and I think this is something he could definitely improve on if he came here.

Do it Rafa, it makes sense. If we sold Dossena and Babel, we should recoup somewhere around £12m-£15m, and that is a large chunk of the Silva fee. Not to mention the money we got from the Keane deal. We should be able to afford him without touching Rafa's usual £20m a season before sales.

Silva seems to me to be at a very similar level to Torres was when we bought him. Great talent but slight doubts over him. I think Silva's a quality player and would improve us significantly; gives us a further option for the two wide positions along with Dirk, Riera and Babel (and The Doss!). Add another player into that of the highest quality, who is pre-dominantly right sided and we'd have a fearsome forward line. Rafa seems (usually) to want players who can adapt and play more than one position, particularly in his front 4, Silva fits that.

Torres, Gerrard, Dirk, Riera, Babel, Silva, BennyNoon, AN Other, N'Gog (ahem).

From what I've heard, Juventus want Modric over Silva. I don't think a deal is anywhere near being done for Silva to go to Juve either.

I reckon Silva would cost around £20m, for me he is worth it. Similar situation to Torres at Atletico, where he is a quality player already, with the potential to become a world class player. He is exactly the type of player we need aswell. He would be perfect in the games at home where teams park the bus and we need to break them down.

People talk about him being lightweight, which is correct in a sense, but he is deceptively strong for his size, and has great agility and balance which help him when he is under pressure.

He has pace, intelligence, great vision, fantastic dribbling, is good with both feet. My only concern is his goal scoring ratio, but he does have a good shot on him, and I think this is something he could definitely improve on if he came here.

Do it Rafa, it makes sense. If we sold Dossena and Babel, we should recoup somewhere around £12m-£15m, and that is a large chunk of the Silva fee. Not to mention the money we got from the Keane deal. We should be able to afford him without touching Rafa's usual £20m a season before sales.

Beat me to it; I agree, Woo.

I think you're correct in what you say about him helping against the teams at home, we need that extra craft, guile and pace. Silva offers that.

Valencia may play him on the right, Spain may, and Benitez might too, but it's still not his best position which seems a waste.

I know what you mean, but he only needs to be better than the LB he is facing to be a success on the right. He still gets plenty of crosses in from there and it does allow him to shoot with his stronger foot. So while not perfect it is still an option that will win games we don't win today.

Silva seems to me to be at a very similar level to Torres was when we bought him. Great talent but slight doubts over him. I think Silva's a quality player and would improve us significantly; gives us a further option for the two wide positions along with Dirk, Riera and Babel (and The Doss!). Add another player into that of the highest quality, who is pre-dominantly right sided and we'd have a fearsome forward line. Rafa seems (usually) to want players who can adapt and play more than one position, particularly in his front 4, Silva fits that.

Torres, Gerrard, Dirk, Riera, Babel, Silva, BennyNoon, AN Other, N'Gog (ahem).

That is what (forgive me) Dion Dublin said after the Villa game. Each player was happy playing in a number of positions while Villa were very static. The possibilities flow. . . .

Certainly a point worth making, while I don't claim to have seen Silva play on more than 10 occassions, what's impressed me is that -much like the rest of the technically excellent Spanish side- he's very difficult to knock off the ball.

I'd fully expect one of Madrid or Barca to intervene and trump our offer.

No.

He is the definition of lightweight. He makes players like Arshavin, Pires and Yossi look like King Kong.

What is worse is that he does not have enough pace, maybe slightly better than Albert in that respect, but not the explosive kind of pace that we should look out for.

I am also sceptical about his ability to go past defenders AND his end product.

I would take Lennon or Downing any day over Silva. He is a decent player in La Liga, but would never make it in the premiership.

We need to look out for real class, like Ribery or Villa, if we want the team to improve significantly.

No.

He is the definition of lightweight. He makes players like Arshavin, Pires and Yossi look like King Kong.

What is worse is that he does not have enough pace, maybe slightly better than Albert in that respect, but not the explosive kind of pace that we should look out for.

I am also sceptical about his ability to go past defenders AND his end product.

But apart from his lack of pace, strength, skill and end product do you reckon he's any good?