You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

European Cup QF, 2nd Leg vs Chelsea

The Chef

One for the dressing room wall:

Ashley Cole has claimed Chelsea were so good in their Champions League tie at Anfield that Liverpool would have been grateful to have lost 5-1.

Cole, who is a regular target for abuse by the Liverpool fans and was taunted throughout Wednesday's 3-1 win, said: 'It's always nice to beat Liverpool, but I think the way we did it, the way we played and fought for each other, I think they would have been happy even if it was five.'

And the England international has risked providing extra motivation for Liverpool in Tuesday's return leg by insisting that the tie is more or less over.

With Liverpool needing to win by three goals or more to progress to the semi-finals, Cole added: 'I don't think there are that many teams who will come to Stamford Bridge and score three. We're going to miss John Terry (who is suspended), but it will make it special for the lads now to do it for him and to qualify. Hopefully we've done enough at Anfield to go through.

'If we do, we're probably going to play Barcelona, so it's going to be a tough road to Rome. But the players are confident and if we get that little bit of luck along the way, then I don't see why we can't get to the final again.'

Cole: Liverpool had no chance against the Chelsea goal machine | Mail Online

The complete twat. Fuck off Cashley.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bolton game won't have shattered their confidence: they're far too experienced for that. But it does show what happens if you apply some pressure - a couple of quick goals and even the best sides will crumble.

But then, we already knew about that!

The Bolton game won't have shattered their confidence: they're far too experienced for that. But it does show what happens if you apply some pressure - a couple of quick goals and even the best sides will crumble.

But then, we already knew about that!

Eggscrackly, chickens, eggs, count, hatch...

I tell you what, if - as that Cole interview indicates - the Chelsea players believe the hype about Wednesday, then we might just have a chance. No fucking way were Chelsea anything special. Yes they played well, but they were no better than they should be every time they step out onto the pitch. Everyone in the media seems to be missing the crucial and obvious point that we were fucking wank in the week. If we'd competed for even one ball, the outcome of the whole match could have ended up different. We will be unrecognisable on Tuesday from the shadow of ourselves side that turned up at Anfield in the first leg.

Convinced this is the way to beat them - same team + tactics won't do it.

Two fullbacks provide width but not as far up the pitch. This means that their full backs have nobody to mark. If they move further up the field then this leaves space in behind for Fernando, Stevie and Dirk.

Give licence for the above three to interchange positions and create havoc behind their back four.

This nulifies Essien effect and allows DannyBoy to step up from the back to produce his magic (+ we have a bit more height to defend corners).

Convinced Rafa will go for this formation. Believe 4-1.

I thought that might have been an option to stop the rot when the second went in on Wednesday night, but I wouldn't start that way for the second leg. We just need our full strength eleven on the pitch, an explosive Juve/Madrid-like start and then our usual aggression, both on and off the ball, all over the pitch.

Get an early goal and they'll start to shit it.

One good thing I suppose from our perspective is that even if they score first, our gameplan doesn't change because we'll still need to score three.

It's going to require a hell of an effort, but we can do it.

I tell you what, if - as that Cole interview indicates - the Chelsea players believe the hype about Wednesday, then we might just have a chance. No fucking way were Chelsea anything special. Yes they played well, but they were no better than they should be every time they step out onto the pitch. Everyone in the media seems to be missing the crucial and obvious point that we were fucking wank in the week. If we'd competed for even one ball, the outcome of the whole match could have ended up different. We will be unrecognisable on Tuesday from the shadow of ourselves side that turned up at Anfield in the first leg.

Exactly. I have been saying it in other threads....win, draw or lose as long as I see some fight in our lads I dont care what happens. Not the ideal situation I want our team to be under but it is a great challenge for Rafa to train and put out an attacking side.

The formation, the tactics and his personel should be set up to attack the opposition and take the game to Chelsea. There is no other way of getting 3 goals against them.

We might see a completley different side to the ones we have been seeing all season. This time we have to win, we have to be aggresive, we have to be attacking, we need to set the tempo and control the game.

We might lose, there can be no doubt about it; but if we truly see all the above then we will see something spectacular. And then, only then can there be any hope of winning.

This what being a Liverpool fan is all about. Support your team to defy the odds and they will comply.

Rafa and his Reds are cooking something.

Make no mistake about it.

Put the pressure on them. Score early....well, I say that and people will point to the 1st leg but I really think scoring early this time will cause Chelsea to tense up a bit.

We should keep attacking this time instead of loafing on our asses

Put the pressure on them. Score early....well, I say that and people will point to the 1st leg but I really think scoring early this time will cause Chelsea to tense up a bit.

We should keep attacking this time instead of loafing on our asses

In the 1st leg we lacked passion, desire and aggression. Which in a way are all Mascheranos traits. We needed a bull dog and we got a poodle. This time around I expect teamwork, high tempo and an attacking side.

Rafa did not expect Hiddink to be tactical.

This time he will be ready for him.

We have fuck all to lose now. Lets fucking do those arrogant twats. Better to go down fighting than with a whimper.

Its not just that. We have a great opportunity to finally show the world that we are great attacking side. Even if we win 0-2 it still make people twink twice about our attacking prowess. Rafa cannot play this defensively. The whole world will be tuning to us, making a fight out of it and turning it around.

We can do it and if we do, Man United will be shitting it.

there are two elements that are key for me

a) essien on gerrard

b) the aerial battle

to tackle the above I'd play three at the back and 5 across the middle

--------------carra----sami-----agger------------------

--yossi----masherano---gerrard----alonso------riera

-------------kuyt-----------torres-------------------

a) essien on gerrard

b) the aerial battle

El Jefecito is back. He'll boss the CM, give Xabi and SG the platform they need and Essien et al will be too worried about what we are doing and how to stop US.

a) essien on gerrard

b) the aerial battle

I like this line-up. Except, I'm not too sure about Riera and his liberal distribution of the ball. In a game like this, we need to keep possesion, convert shots into goals (obviously) and not turn the ball over (which he was guilty of on a few ocassions on Saturday). Alonso to score, simply because he's overdue for one of those 70 yard blinders.

a) essien on gerrard

b) the aerial battle

Arbeloa and Dossena/Aurelio as the wing backs would make that a very decent formation. We need to do something different on Tues and a back 3, with 2 centre halves who are a goal threat would be an interesting option.

Yossi and Riera as wing backs would be bonkers.

Wing backs need to be fast, be able to defend and attack, and be high energy. Neither would cut it and Chelsea would rape us down the flanks. I also don't think 3 at the back is the answer as Chelsea play with 1 striker. We need to get players on the pitch who can score goals, who are good finishers. For me Benayoun and Babel have to play alongside Gerrard and Torres in attack. The rest of the team picks itself. (I'd have Agger in too)