You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bring in Mikey Owen in January

JoeyKop

I have never been calling for Owen to come back because of how he left, however if he is available for such a knock down price, and is willing to accept he won't be number one striker.

I just don't understand this argument whatsoever. Never have, never will.

What makes players like Michael Owen so special is that they will NEVER, EVER accept that they aren't the number one striker. They raise their game, and they fight, and they score goals until they become number one striker!

Our problem in recent years is that we've had way too many strikers who were far to happy to not be the number one striker!!!

If a player such as Owen came in, and played to such a level that he took Torres' place in the team then I can think of NOTHING better for LFC, because Torres would also not accept being number one.

Do you think Rush, Aldridge or St John were ever "willing to accept not being the number one striker".

Fuck any striker who doesn't want to be number one. Fuck them right in the arse.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't understand this argument whatsoever. Never have, never will.

What makes players like Michael Owen so special is that they will NEVER, EVER accept that they aren't the number one striker. They raise their game, and they fight, and they score goals until they become number one striker!

Our problem in recent years is that we've had way too many strikers who were far to happy to not be the number one striker!!!

If a player such as Owen came in, and played to such a level that he took Torres' place in the team then I can think of NOTHING better for LFC, because Torres would also not accept being number one.

Do you think Rush, Aldridge or St John were ever "willing to accept not being the number one striker".

Fuck any striker who doesn't want to be number one. Fuck them right in the arse.

I hear what your saying Tom, and I am in total agreement. However other than the money was it not the reason he joined Newcastle last time?

No, Alan Shearer was at Newcastle, who is the greatest goal scorer that the Premiership has ever seen.

He went to Newcastle when he did because he wouldn't wait until the January for our lower bid to be accepted, as he'd have spent half a season on the bench at Real and there was a big international tournament coming up and he want to play in it.

I don't think it had anything to do with him being "number one", because at Newcastle nobody was ever going to "number one" more than Alan Shearer.

No, Alan Shearer was at Newcastle, who is the greatest goal scorer that the Premiership has ever seen.

He went to Newcastle when he did because he wouldn't wait until the January for our lower bid to be accepted, as he'd have spent half a season on the bench at Real and there was a big international tournament coming up and he want to play in it.

I don't think it had anything to do with him being "number one", because at Newcastle nobody was ever going to "number one" more than Alan Shearer.

Really I thought Wor Al had retired by then and that Owen had signed to replace him as number one at the club in terms of playing staff at the time. I know there is a chance of me being wrong and your right. But I was certain as the night is dark that was the scenario.

Shearer was still there and playing. Owen knew he'd play alongside him.

While I get what Tom is saying, the probability of Owen displacing Torres is 0.024%. I worked it out.

So, he'd have to change his game a fair bit to try and play with him. Which he might well be capable of. He's a clever boy. Either way, for the money he'd be going for its worth taking a chance on.

Shearer was still there and playing. Owen knew he'd play alongside him.

While I get what Tom is saying, the probability of Owen displacing Torres is 0.024%. I worked it out.

So, he'd have to change his game a fair bit to try and play with him. Which he might well be capable of. He's a clever boy. Either way, for the money he'd be going for its worth taking a chance on.

Owen's all round game has improved quite a lot over the years to be fair. He'd be a brilliant alternative to have, especially when you need a goal.

The biggest problem we have this season is clear - scoring goals.

Well as they say you learn something new everyday. I suppose the fact they must have hardly played together (or am I just assuming again) due to Owen being crocked a lot at Newcastle explains how I thought otherwise. Tom R must be rightest right on brother in the world.

*goes to update football knowledge*

Don't think Rafa would take him on a free transfer for zero wages and Owen walking his dog nightly.People forget he got out quick as his little legs could carry his broken body out of the door as soon as Rafa took over.

Then to rub it in more,he proceeds crying to come back and Rafa went in for him,only for him to kick rafa in his bollocks again and sign for the barcodes.So I think theres more chance of the owners handing Rashid the managers job and handing Coco the clown sole ownership of the club,than Rafa having the broken boy back.

At £2 million I'd take him back in a heartbeat. I don't think there is anyone better at following in other people's shots than Owen. It's pure instinct. We've created some great chances this season which haven't been put away, and I reckon Owen could have put away half of them.

The last couple of times people have said bring him back I've been against it purely on fitness grounds. But at £2 mill - yes please.

I'm very much not arsed about Owen.

If he's willing to take a pay cut, be part of a squad and not be the star, then fine.

If he doesn't come back, then again... fine.

I don't mind, but I must admit I would prefer having him in the box or on the bench when we need a goal rather than Ngog.

He's phenomenal player. We'd have other alternatives should he get injured. The world cup is in 18 months. It would be 2million or relatively inexpensive. He's a close friend of the two biggest players in our dressing room.

There is not a football reason not to buy him however I fully expect us not to act.

Only read the first couple of replies and already its an anti Owen thread. Must take a pay cut, must realise he isnt number one striker blah, blah blah.

Hello! Wake up people! We've spent £20m on a striker who cant score for us (well not regularly). Benitez has recently come out and said even torres isnt guaranteed a start so who exactly is our number one striker then?

Fact is, Owen is a predator in front of goal.

Offer his a pay as you play deal. If he takes a pay cut, fine. If he doesnt, fine.. On a pay as you play his wages wont be too big.

Only read the first couple of replies and already its an anti Owen thread. Must take a pay cut, must realise he isnt number one striker blah, blah blah.

Hello! Wake up people! We've spent £20m on a striker who cant score for us (well not regularly). Benitez has recently come out and said even torres isnt guaranteed a start so who exactly is our number one striker then?

Offer his a pay as you play deal. If he takes a pay cut, fine. If he doesnt, fine.. On a pay as you play his wages wont be too big.[/QUOTE]

Tell me this is a joke?

A pay as you play deal to a 28 year old, former European Player of The Year, goal scoring machine???

Yeah, and maybe we should ask him to pay to play for us while we're at it. I mean who else would take such a crocked out old journeyman? Yeah, an insulting pay as you play deal is definitely the way forward when trying to secure one of the world's best strikers.

What colour is the sky on your planet?

Offer his a pay as you play deal. If he takes a pay cut, fine. If he doesnt, fine.. On a pay as you play his wages wont be too big.[/QUOTE]

Tell me this is a joke?

A pay as you play deal to a 28 year old, former European Player of The Year, goal scoring machine???

Yeah, and maybe we should ask him to pay to play for us while we're at it. I mean who else would take such a crocked out old journeyman? Yeah, an insulting pay as you play deal is definitely the way forward when trying to secure one of the world's best strikers.

What colour is the sky on your planet?

I reckon is blue but a dark small time blue rather than a lovely sky blue.