You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Glen Johnson....

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst Code's assertion that all those players on his list are better than Johnson is quite obviously mental, I do think we should wait for a few more games before we all declare him the best thing since sliced bread (I'm talking about Johnson there by the way, not Code). He's not had to put in a defensive shift against some top quality opposition yet and while I've been very impressed by his attacking ability I still want to see how he copes when we're up against it.

That is not how it works on here. If you slag someone for playing badly in his first 2 matches for the club, you should judge him after a whole season. If you on the other hand decide to go totally overboard and say he is a success, better than sliced bread, 17 million is not paying over the odds etc. after 2 games, then that is just the way it should be....

I did not see anyone bring up the list with 20 strikers better than R.Keane in the league or the one with 49 wingers better than J.Pennant.

Like I said, Johnson is great going forward, lets see how he fairs in a few matches where he is up against a decent left sided player first before we make the final judgement.

He has been great in the first two games, but if I`m not much mistaken he was one of the players playing Beattie onside yesterday for his big chance when he was wrongly called offside.

You are much mistaken. Johnson was in the D at the time. Explains your opinion of him, you can't even tell which one he is one the pitch!

Johnson against Stoke showed all the reasons we bought him- good going forward and keeping the width when Kuyt drifts in. He played much further up then Arbeloa did, can take men on and cross the ball well- in a sense he becomes part of the midfield in these games. Going forward more he leaves space- but between our CBs and Mascherano sitting deep these can be plugged.

Looks like an excellent signing tactically and has played very well in his first 2 games- if he can keep it up he will prove an excellent signing.

You are much mistaken. Johnson was in the D at the time. Explains your opinion of him, you can't even tell which one he is one the pitch!

To be fair to code, our right side had me flummoxed a few times last night. The resemblance between Dirk and Johnson is unerring. It must be like looking in a mirror for them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
To be fair to code, our right side had me flummoxed a few times last night. The resemblance between Dirk and Johnson is unerring. It must be like looking in a mirror for them.

I'll Help you out.

Glen Johnson

Kuyt_hard.jpg

Dirk Kuyt

Glen-Johnson-Liverpool-presentation_2326783.jpg

The way I tell is the tattoo. There is no other way of telling.

I do miss the big guy as well, but Alonso not so much anymore. The Chief needs to fine tune his long passe with everyone else chipping in but otherwise we have moved on from him.

You need to get over it.

TBH I prefer this new approach of moving the whole team up the pitch and using short incisive passes myself. Three times already Mascherano's short passes from just beyond the area have led to a goal.

If John Barnes was a right back his name would be Glen Johnson.

I know this sounds ridiculous and I'm not for one second suggesting Johnson will be anywhere near Digger's quality, but there was one moment on Wednesday night when he really did remind me of Barnes. I think it was the combination of his physique and the way he was running with the ball. He looks grocked out in the way Digger did before he got pied up and he kind of leans out over the ball as he's about to beat his man.

I know this sounds ridiculous and I'm not for one second suggesting Johnson will be anywhere near Digger's quality, but there was one moment on Wednesday night when he really did remind me of Barnes. I think it was the combination of his physique and the way he was running with the ball. He looks grocked out in the way Digger did before he got pied up and he kind of leans out over the ball as he's about to beat his man.

Yes it was the combination of speed, power and skill out wide.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Racist.

I agree. He's got that power, speed and determination. God I miss watching Barnes.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I bet that seemed like a good idea in your head.

I'd never come up with a cliché like that. I'd have gone for Jen Bohnson. That'd have been too cool for school.

Having a porous defence increases the likelihood of defeat. Newcastle were a club built on shit defence and relatively strong attack.

We don't suddenly morph into Newcastle just by increasing our attacking options from right back though. It's about getting the right balance between defence and attack not being all out attack or all out defence with no options in between.

Personally I think Johnson will prove to be a superb signing. Even Houllier's tight, counterattacking Liverpool could afford a marauding fullback in the shape of Markus Babbel.