You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool make £10m bid for Gareth Barry

How can anyone want Barry for the left hand side? He isn't a winger and he can't defend! He is also slow... if he comes he has come as a replacement for Xabi (I hope) which means Lucas is blocked.

Waste of money when we could put it towards a world class attacking player now Xabi says he wants to stay.

Are you shitting me? Gareth Barry was capped for England when he was about 18 years old on the strength of his performances in defence for Villa. He's been playing as a defensive midfielder for Villa for the last six years and is now picked to play there by Fabio Capello who knows a fuck sight more about football than you do.

Please quantify your comment that Barry can't defend.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the priorities are always wrong

whenever we need a winger we seem to sign defenders and CMs, if the club and Rafa started treating the right and left with such focus as we do CM and CB then maybe we'd get somewhere in the league

completely agree.

and does anyone believe Gerrard will be playing in behind the main striker in 2, 3 years time when he's 30+, or will he will eventually revert to CM in which case he's fighting with Barry and Lucas for that slot?

Don't be soft.

He's shown he can already do it, and he'll play at right-back...

I love Xabi, possibly in an obsessional-stalker fashion, however Barry offers more options in terms of mobility, goalscoring threat, and solidity.

Barry at 10mill would be an excellent signing.

Would hope Alonso stays, too, then we have 3 from Gerrard, Masch, Xabi and Barry in most games with Lucas and Plessis given time to improve further.

Still need to strengthen wide though- one excellent full back and one excellent wide player would add another dimension to our play.

Good player but doesn't make me want to cum-in-my-pants

I demand cum-in-my-pants signings.

Does the prospect of a front three of Babel, Torres and Gerrard make you want to cum-in-your-pants?

Obviously not second-guessing Rafa, but that would be a possibility if we were to sign Barry, for sure.

Would hope Alonso stays, too, then we have 3 from Gerrard, Masch, Xabi and Barry in most games with Lucas and Plessis given time to improve further.

Still need to strengthen wide though- one excellent full back and one excellent wide player would add another dimension to our play.

haha are you kidding? might as well sell Lucas as he'd get NO games

ridiculous

Lucas has played some big games and cost £8m, he should be regarded as near a first team place and if i was picking the team and had all those players available he would play ahead of Barry and Alonso

Guest The Chimp

I know we still have a finite amount of resources and that any money raised from selling players is part of that, but is he going to cost us ten million? By that I mean, would it be "only" two or three with Carson going the other way.

Meh.

I'd move Gerrard back to play closer to Masher, and then buy someone to play behind Torres.

It's quite simple.

we'll have to do that eventually because Gerrard isnt going to play in behind for years to come, plus against the top teams it doesn't work.

but when we do it in a few years we'll have Barry, Lucas and Gerrard for 1 slot. niice

Does the prospect of a front three of Babel, Torres and Gerrard make you want to cum-in-your-pants?

Obviously not second-guessing Rafa, but that would be a possibility if we were to sign Barry, for sure.

Bit of pre-cum, but not a full load.

How much would they improve playing reserve team football though? Surely they'd benefit more from playing more games in the 1st team.

haha are you kidding? might as well sell Lucas as he'd get NO games

ridiculous

Lucas has played some big games and cost £8m, he should be regarded as near a first team place and if i was picking the team and had all those players available he would play ahead of Barry and Alonso

Lucas has looked ok in some games and lost in some- not ready to play every game in a PL season. Certainly not anywhere near Alonso's standard- he is the only midfielder we have that dictates tempo.

Between 38 PL games, 10 or more CL games and the Cups there are plenty of games to go around and for him to get experience. If he is proves to be consistently good enough then others will be on the bench.

I'd be happy to sign him. Versatile, left-sided, great set-pieces, hard-working, great attitude. Shit at step-overs but can't have everything.

Sense at last, he's an excellent player and an astute, respectful professional who we could benefit from having whether Xabi or Riise leaves.

If we get him for 10 then that's great as well; better if we trade either say, Carson plus £2m or Riise plus £5 or £6m.

Trust in Rafa! If he plays centrally,m then Xabi can go, if Xabi stays he replaces Riise.

To suggest Lucas is ready is madness to me, Plessis couldn't offer a full Prem season either.

I know we still have a finite amount of resources and that any money raised from selling players is part of that, but is he going to cost us ten million? By that I mean, would it be "only" two or three with Carson going the other way.

yup, that is an excellent point. I am sure they will try and talk the price up so as not to piss off their fans but I can't see us paying £10M for him.

How much would they improve playing reserve team football though? Surely they'd benefit more from playing more games in the 1st team.

Cannot train them in the first team if we are to challenge.

Plessis out on loan and Lucas as backup and for Cups.

Lucas has looked ok in some games and lost in some- not ready to play every game in a PL season. Certainly not anywhere near Alonso's standard- he is the only midfielder we have that dictates tempo.

Between 38 PL games, 10 or more CL games and the Cups there are plenty of games to go around and for him to get experience. If he is proves to be consistently good enough then others will be on the bench.

whenever he's played he's had a good number of assists and done well, as for not being anywhere near Alonso's standard I suggest you compare their seasons as Lucas has done better and actuallly had a run in the team due to Xabi playing shite