You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool make £10m bid for Gareth Barry

The only reason he'd play at CM is if Xabi was sold.

We have no need for a CM, at all.

Which case, I'd call this bullshite.

Read the article completely Lance. The lad is coming to play midfield. Why would Barrett make up an article?

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only reason he'd play at CM is if Xabi was sold.

We have no need for a CM, at all.

Which case, I'd call this bullshite.

If we're keeping the same formation theres every need for him, theres going to be injuries, Mascherano is away at the Olympics at the beginning of the season. He'll get loads of games in CM with or without Alonso

If we're keeping the same formation theres every need for him, theres going to be injuries, Mascherano is away at the Olympics at the beginning of the season. He'll get loads of games in CM with or without Alonso

Plessis, Lucas, or even Spearing could handle Mascherano's duties for a few matches.

Lucas, Xabi, and Ste should work, no?

I simply can't fathom why we'd tender a large bid for someone to come and play CM when we are fucking stacked to the gills with Central Midfielders.

We have 3 class central mids and some prospects like Lucas, Plessis etc. An injury to Gerrard or whatever and it suddenly looks a bit different. If we were going to play 4 4 2 then I'd agree but if we're going to play the same formation then another class CM is needed (aswell as other positions)

He's also been better than Alonso for the last 2 years

The guy is quality, more suited to the prem than Xabi and will offer more going forward than alonso. I love Xabi but i think he doesnt fit in to the 4-2-3-1.

Nail on the head. Will be sorry to see Xabi go. Barry would be a good signing I reckon. Fits that system perfectly.

i dont like this at all, i dont even rate Barry and we don't even need him if Alonso is staying

if Alonso is leaving I would rather sign someone from Spain

Lucas is not a prospect, he's already played some big games and done well and he cost £8m, so he should play

There's zero chance of barry coming here to play Left back. The guy has finally broken into the england team as a CM and he's a shit left back. Rafa just wants a player who's more mobile, dynamic and stronger in the middle. Barry has a good shot on him, gets more assists and good from set pieces. Personally i'd have gone for someone like diego and pushed gerrard further back with masch, but i can see rafas logic if hes gonna persist with gerrard playing off torres.

the priorities are always wrong

whenever we need a winger we seem to sign defenders and CMs, if the club and Rafa started treating the right and left with such focus as we do CM and CB then maybe we'd get somewhere in the league

I really don`t understand how anyone can have a problem with us wanting to sign Barry. He is Villas top player, being watched by Arsenal and The Chavs, very rarely has a poor game,ie is very consistant , and by all accounts he wants to come to us.

Oh and by the way , he is English and a top midfielder who will only make us a better team. I just hope that we DO sign him.

So it seems to be the people who DEMAND a league challenge that are against this signing? He's a proven, quality, experienced player who shines in this league. I really can't see Xabi staying, and if he's replaced by Barry, then we'd be a bit stronger in the league, but a bit weaker in Europe.

i dont like this at all, i dont even rate Barry and we don't even need him if Alonso is staying

if Alonso is leaving I would rather sign someone from Spain

Lucas is not a prospect, he's already played some big games and done well and he cost £8m, so he should play

Sign who exactly?

the priorities are always wrong

whenever we need a winger we seem to sign defenders and CMs, if the club and Rafa started treating the right and left with such focus as we do CM and CB then maybe we'd get somewhere in the league

Stop being mental! Do you think Barry's the only player that will come in this summer?

Sign who exactly?

Javi Martinez, Rafa said in January he was interested in him.

Stop being mental! Do you think Barry's the only player that will come in this summer?

If we do sign him he certainly won't be the only player to come in, but Tony Barrett says in that article that he is our #1 target, which is worrying.

Sign who exactly?

De La Red, Martinez, anyone really

also re Gerrard getting injured would mean we need someone in behind anyway

and does anyone believe Gerrard will be playing in behind the main striker in 2, 3 years time when he's 30+, or will he will eventually revert to CM in which case he's fighting with Barry and Lucas for that slot?

it's a total waste of money for now and in the future.

I really don`t understand how anyone can have a problem with us wanting to sign Barry.

Because they're mostly kids with no real understanding of football who just want the next big glamour signing from abroad.