You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hello,

Me and the wife are thinking of moving from Preston to West Derby in Liverpool. We've seen a place we like on the new Morris estate behind that big Tesco

Can any locals tell me what its like?

Any good boozers etc

Thanks in advance

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,

Me and the wife are thinking of moving from Preston to West Derby in Liverpool. We've seen a place we like on the new Morris estate behind that big Tesco

Any good boozers etc

Thanks in advance

Alrite mate, i know someone who lives in the estate your talking about and it seems quite nice. Deysbrook's a bit dodgy but your out the other side of it there so you should be alright.

As for boozers, if you go through Deysbrook from the estate (past Melwood) there's an alehouse called The Royal Standard that's sound - good atmosphere in there, good red house for the match (i was in there for Inter away and it was bouncing) and the restaurant bit in there does some nice meals as well.

Hello,

Any good boozers etc

Thanks in advance

Seriously mate, unless your moving to Liverpool for some great reason dont live here. I live in Anfield and am moving to North Wales where house prices are better and crime is far lower.

Some parts of West Deby can be OK. But your only a mile away from a shithole.

If I was advising you as a parent. Think again.

PS. I dont work for Liverpool Tourist Board.

Alrite mate, i know someone who lives in the estate your talking about and it seems quite nice. Deysbrook's a bit dodgy but your out the other side of it there so you should be alright.

As for boozers, if you go through Deysbrook from the estate (past Melwood) there's an alehouse called The Royal Standard that's sound - good atmosphere in there, good red house for the match (i was in there for Inter away and it was bouncing) and the restaurant bit in there does some nice meals as well.

They do a fucking gorgeous Roast Dinner aswell in there. The Sefton in West Derby village is sound aswell.

All my mates live round there, also you would only be minutes away from Melwood. Theres a few decent boozers, although the Seftons shutting down, (think its getting done up). But the standard, and the Hare and Hounds in the village are the best two.

Not the best place in Liverpool, but certainly not the worse

The Sefton has shut down for a little while but its shite anyway. They are turning it into some kind of steak house or something. Go the Hare and Hounds or the Barry`s and its ok but the Sefton, when its open, is just full of wankers.If you think your`e a boss scally and feel at ease calling everyone you meet "lad" while you have your hands down your kecks you`ll fit in a treat.

That estates class, we were looking at some 5 bedroom house there and it looked ace, its like your nowhere near canny farm when you are in that estate as its such a nice estate.

We looked at that one, Well the Mrs looked I shook my head a lot and then hurried her out

at nearly 400k its a bit out of our price range

Seriously mate, unless your moving to Liverpool for some great reason dont live here. I live in Anfield and am moving to North Wales where house prices are better and crime is far lower.

As someone who grew up in North Wales (abergele) The house prices are certainly no cheaper.. My Dad still lives there.

We are moving there as my wife is from there and works in Knowsley, as we currently live in Preston and it takes her ages to get to work.

But thanks for the advice.

Would never have guessed.

Have fun in the crime free utopia that is North Wales.

Also, by your own logic, some parts of North Wales can be ok, but you're only a mile or so from a shithole too.

As someone who grew up in North Wales (abergele) The house prices are certainly no cheaper.. My Dad still lives there.

We are moving there as my wife is from there and works in Knowsley, as we currently live in Preston and it takes her ages to get to work.

Move to Huyton. The Cultural Capital of Knowsley.

I live near to Mold now. Liverpool isnt the worst place in the world but personally feel more at ease here and car insurance prices are 40% cheaper.

AdamS is from NW also and hes got a posh car so therefore I must be right!:whistle:

Good Luck with your move.

Canny Farm - the scouse south central.

Move to Old Swan, all the gangs round here are shit, dont even try an rob you, they give ASBOs a bad reputation.

Cannibal Farm. There is sometimes shootings and carjackings at the traffic lights over the road from the shops on Princess Drive; depending were you're coming from you may have to use this road.

And the "Bow-5-1" may knock you physically sick driving past it.

The estate you are considering is The Point and it's not bad at all. A lot of development has gone on in the Deysbrook area over the past two or three years and, to be fair, the area is quite decent. Everywhere has its arseholes but that's a fact of life today. If you want total seclusion and security then don't look to live in the suburbs of a modern city; try one of the Scottish Isles, but you still might get fucked about by some unruly seals. West Derby is an ok place. There are decent schools in the area, a twenty minute bus ride to the city centre, shops and supermarkets are quite handy and, now that The Derby Arms (aka 'The Shithole') has been demolished, all the local pubs are comfortable gaffs. Even Stockbridge Village (formerly 'Canny Farm') is nowhere near as hairy as some people posting on these threads would have you believe. Mind you, I moved to West Derby from Scotland Road in the 60s so I may have a different take on what constitutes a rough area. Melwood is also in the area and you can spend your days standing outside the training ground with your autograph book admiring the cars that the players drive as they go by without acknowledging your presence. Lots of people take part in that particular activity. Better off going the pub.