You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

I thought you were but wasn't sure. Rathbone and Bruce are great, the Holmes vs the Nazis ones are so weird.

Are you familiar with the Brett series?

The ITV series with Jeremy Brett is fantastic, the attention to detail and cinematography really are top notch. Some of the shots remind me of the early days of Columbo, where they'd occasionally frame something simple in a manner that was totally unnecessary but showed some flair for the sake of it.

He's a different kind of Holmes though, and though I like the more pronounced pathos, Rathbone is still Holmes to me. I got the DVD box set last year and even the war time propaganda ones have a charm to them that hasn't faded. If anything, the kitsch nature of the ending speeches seems to elevate them as an oddity. 

There was a cracking BBC Four documentary about Holmes some time ago, and it mentioned the Douglas Wilmer series which I've never seen. Apparently it's considered the definitive screen portrayal of Holmes by many.

• Upvote 3

The ITV series with Jeremy Brett is fantastic, the attention to detail and cinematography really are top notch. Some of the shots remind me of the early days of Columbo, where they'd occasionally frame something simple in a manner that was totally unnecessary but showed some flair for the sake of it.

He's a different kind of Holmes though, and though I like the more pronounced pathos, Rathbone is still Holmes to me. I got the DVD box set last year and even the war time propaganda ones have a charm to them that hasn't faded. If anything, the kitsch nature of the ending speeches seems to elevate them as an oddity. 

There was a cracking BBC Four documentary about Holmes some time ago, and it mentioned the Douglas Wilmer series which I've never seen. Apparently it's considered the definitive screen portrayal of Holmes by many.

I love how Nigel Bruce is constantly taking the piss as Watson in the Rathbone ones. Gives the movies a lot of welcome light-hearted moments. 

Have you seen inside out? Or Big Hero 6?

Yes, I've seen them, repped.

I thought Big Hero 6 was good for the whole family and I'd give it a 7/10.

Inside Out was a great concept, and it started well but, for me at least, sort of got bogged down a bit and lost its way. I'd give it 6/10.

Rathbone is Holmes. He was also the no.1 swordsman in Hollywood (the metal rather than the pork variety), whenever they wanted a baddie to make Errol Flynn look good he got a call. Think he fenced for the Navy or something.

Brett always seemed too far up his own arse for my liking. Didn't he go loopy and actually think he was Sherlock Holmes?

Downey Jr plays it well. A Guy Ritchie film which doesn't feel too clichéd for a change.

I watched a documentary on the life of Danny Kaye a few years back and they mentioned the sword fight between Kaye and Rathbone in the movie "The Court Jester".

Apparently Kaye was super fast with a sword, too fast for Rathbone in some scenes in which a stand in for Rathbone was used with his back to the camera.

I've copied the scene below.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Warcraft 5/10. Maybe a tad generous there.

Can somebody please explain to me why the Guardian opened up a portal to let the orcs through in the first place? Maybe the film had rotted my brain, but the explanation for this escaped me.

Warcraft 5/10. Maybe a tad generous there.

Can somebody please explain to me why the Guardian opened up a portal to let the orcs through in the first place? Maybe the film had rotted my brain, but the explanation for this escaped me.

Green goo, as far as I can tell.

Independence Day Regurgitation or whatever it was called.

Managed to be even shitter than the first one

-1/10

I thought it was like a channel 5 version of the original.

The original is a good film IMO, massively cheesy but it came before the big resurgence in disaster flicks and the CGI obsession with ever bigger and bigger set pieces, the first time i saw the teaser of the white house getting blown up I was blown away.

This one though is all very Michael bay. Like someone watched the original and said 'yep we need a speech there, some banter, there, and some unlikely friendships that transcends race colour and creed as we face this enemy as one species.'

Unfortunately they forgot a story.

I'd have given it 6/10 for Jeff goldblum and Brent Spiner.

The fundamentals of caring. 6.5/10. Netflix movie starring Paul Rudd as a carer looking after a lad in a wheelchair with a muscle disorder. Funny in places, predictably sugary in others. Rudd is watchable in most things tbh.

I watched that last weekend, the bit where the boy (manc bastard) was choking in the car was brilliant & I'm a bit in love with Selena Gomez as well.

Green Room.

I've been waiting for this for ages but ended up a bit disappointed. It's not really a horror film, more a thriller about a punk band booked to play at a nazi skinhead venue. Some of it's a bit daft plot wise. It still has a boss, well chosen cover version and Imogen Poots though so it gets a six out of ten.