You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

The Snowman:  A Scandi-Noir serial killer story adapted from Jo Nesbo's book of the same name.

Was interested in seeing it after reading the book , and then seeing some snotty film journalist taking the piss out of Rebecca Ferguson in an interview, going on about how bad it was. I also looked on IMDB and have not seen a film with such divergent reviews , with practically every score being either 1 to 3, or 8 to 10. One said it was the worst directed film he had ever seen, while another said it was the best film she had seen this year !

The film itself wasn't anywhere near as bad as some people had suggested , and I think the overreaction was sparked by the fact that the book is so long and complicated and could not be replicated in 2 hours , so the film comes across slightly disjointed if you have read the book. It also is presented as a fairly straightforward detective story and doesn't really put across the graphic descriptions of the murders in the book. Fassbender is extremely taciturn but to be fair you could argue that an alcoholic, manic-depressive Scandinavian detective would hardly be a bag of laughs in real life.

7/10.

Halfway through an Australian WW1 movie called Beneath Hill 60. Superbly made film, atmospheric and gives a good account of a true story. Less you know the better I feel.

8.5/10 so far.

It's an excellent film. 

When I was around 15 or 16 we did a trip to the WW1 battlefields for history which was just incredible and we went into some of the mines. I would not have liked to have been involved in those tunnels.

On a side note, every politician should be taken to Tyne Cot and left there alone for several hours before they are allowed to vote on going to war. 

It's the biggest of the Commonwealth war cemeteries, something like 12,000 burials and then areas at the back with names of 10s of thousands of people who never even got found.

On the scale of how many people died it's minuscule really, but to actually see the size of it and think it's about a 10th of how many people died in the 1st battle of Ypres and see the scale of just that many deaths it's a real shock, way more than you get from simply reading numbers.

The day we went there was one of the last days of our trip and we then went to the Menin Gate as they do The Last Post there every night still. It's not an easy experience after you've seen all of that. Despite being a callow and cynical teenager at the time it caused a fair amount of grit to get in my eyes. 

Paddington 2 8.5/10

Absolutely brilliant, just as good if not better than the original. Two great films so far in this series and Hugh Grant nails the part as the villain in this one.

Charming and touching film with quite a few slide splitting funny moments. Just great.

Brilliant movie for both kids and adults.

• Upvote 3

It's an excellent film. 

When I was around 15 or 16 we did a trip to the WW1 battlefields for history which was just incredible and we went into some of the mines. I would not have liked to have been involved in those tunnels.

On a side note, every politician should be taken to Tyne Cot and left there alone for several hours before they are allowed to vote on going to war. 

It's the biggest of the Commonwealth war cemeteries, something like 12,000 burials and then areas at the back with names of 10s of thousands of people who never even got found.

On the scale of how many people died it's minuscule really, but to actually see the size of it and think it's about a 10th of how many people died in the 1st battle of Ypres and see the scale of just that many deaths it's a real shock, way more than you get from simply reading numbers.

The day we went there was one of the last days of our trip and we then went to the Menin Gate as they do The Last Post there every night still. It's not an easy experience after you've seen all of that. Despite being a callow and cynical teenager at the time it caused a fair amount of grit to get in my eyes. 

The film does a great job of trying to show the potential small spaces and darkness that surrounds the characters - especially in the scenes where fighting takes place and no-one really knows for sure what is actually happening near them. And then to know that above the tunnels is where the action is really taking place with bombs exploding and guns firing. People just simply dying for what seems like no reason at all other than trying to claim a bit of ground. Edit: obviously there is a bigger picture involved when wars are being fought but in battles like this there is a piece of land at stake and it makes me wonder why is that land so important?  Like you rightly say, war should be declared very carefully when these kinds of things are the result.

Excellent film and good to learn about the experiences of people who quite frankly were so much less fortunate than us to have been born at the time of these horrific wars.

Jurassic World

Guess what, nasty criminals who want to make money out of dinosaurs, a handful of do-gooders who want to protect them, obligatory tech guy who has no interest in dinosaurs what so ever, who's shock screams lighten the scene, a slight love interest between the two main characters, kids getting caught up in zany situations and being impish and cheeky all of the time, whilst being chased by a mad meat eating dinosaur. Big game hunter is a twat(shocker), goons get eaten, we feel slightly sad abar dinosaurs especially them little ones who make cute noises and in the end, Humans win.

Fin.

Hopefully these films become as extinct as the subject characters. 

1/10.

And it gets the 1, just for the sexy red head in the film. 

• Upvote 1