You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

I have a theory.

People who liked The Constant Garder and Lost In Translation (the two worst films of all time ever) are the exact same people who will like Black Swan.

These people are called "idiots".

The majority of people who love these crud fests have already decided that before they've even watched them. Black Swan was shite, If you got a chicken and put it in a load of nice clothes, it may well be intriguing to see what's under each layer but once you take all those clothes off you are still left looking at a fucking chicken.

I have a theory.

People who liked The Constant Garder and Lost In Translation (the two worst films of all time ever) are the exact same people who will like Black Swan.

I'm beginning to pity you now.

The majority of people who love these crud fests have already decided that before they've even watched them. Black Swan was shite, If you got a chicken and put it in a load of nice clothes, it may well be intriguing to see what's under each layer but once you take all those clothes off you are still left looking at a fucking chicken.

Did you both go to the cinema (maybe not together) with an open mind or did you both watch it on your laptops just to see what the fuss was about?

I know which viewers judgement I'd value.

Cos its shit innit, a obvious schizo dancin bitch with a lezzer scene.

I know it overlaps the Red Shoes a little on the heavy side and the struggle with the character was a little obvious but watching in the cinema, the choreography with the camerawork blew me away. I loved the balance of audio/visual/dance. Portman was brilliant.

I'm sure all that came across through the stream . . .

Went to the flicks with the missus to see... Black Swan.

Now, I've sat through some shit in my time but never have I had the urge to get up and leave half way through as I did with this. It was nothing but a vanity project for Portman and her evasive (yet central-to-the-plot) vagina. As weighty as a tutu.

If you're a middle-class 'gell' who's a bit spoilt, a little bit 'fucked up' and ever wondered what might have happened if you'd put more effort in at ballet class then this film is for you. If you think ballet is at worst an irrelevance and at best utterly fucking preposterous. Avoid. Like the plague. 4/10

Oh, and Vincent Cassell needs to put on his 'Mesrine' suit and bollock himself for being associated with this. And No, sex scenes wih Portman and Mila Kunis are no excuse. (Oh, OK then)...

Did you both go to the cinema (maybe not together) with an open mind or did you both watch it on your laptops just to see what the fuss was about?

I know it overlaps the Red Shoes a little on the heavy side and the struggle with the character was a little obvious but watching in the cinema, the choreography with the camerawork blew me away. I loved the balance of audio/visual/dance. Portman was brilliant.

Don't be so fucking precious Thants, I could go so far to call you a condescending prick but I won't. Who but people with a similar background or insight into film production would leave the cinema waxing lyrical about the balance of audio/visual/dance, not one person. That's your entire basis for why its a good film, it may well be fantastically produced, but that is far from enough to make a good film. Of course this is just my feeble minded opinion of which you have heavily insinuated in your post. I watched it with an open mind, of course I did, it didn't offer anything as a film, lost in a myriad of pretension and soft lighting, no substance whatsoever.

Don't be so fucking precious Thants, I could go so far to call you a condescending prick but I won't. Who but people with a similar background or insight into film production would leave the cinema waxing lyrical about the balance of audio/visual/dance, not one person. That's your entire basis for why its a good film, it may well be fantastically produced, but that is far from enough to make a good film. Of course this is just my feeble minded opinion of which you have heavily insinuated in your post. I watched it with an open mind, of course I did, it didn't offer anything as a film, lost in a myriad of pretension and soft lighting, no substance whatsoever.

Woah there. You were the one insinuating that the people who loved it went in loving it before the film. I didn't know anything about it other than who the director was.

Talking about the filmmaking is pretentious now?

Maybe I'm just an idiot. Not sure where I insinuated you were feeble minded either. I suggested streaming the film would lose any quality. Which it always does for celluloid (I'll take it back if this was filmed in digital).

Ah fuck it. I've got a finance report to finish and this isn't helping.

I have a theory.

Lost in translation - 8/10 I like downbeat comedy.

Black Swan - oh dear. It's good points were blown away by the cliché-fest and spoilt brat of a main character - wetter than a haddock's codpiece. Impressive eye candy for sure, but the plot and characterisation felt like a beating with the bleedin' obvious stick. Even the ballerina on ballerina action didn't save it.

Was surprised by The Kings Speech, thought the reviews were just for Colin Firths ability to stammer and his likelihood of winning an Oscar for portraying an English Royal figure with a disability. How wrong I was, it was really good. The story was enjoyably told once some factual inaccuracies are overlooked. The direction has a sure touch with lots of humour and fine performances from Colin firth and also Rush and Bonham-Carter. A good solid 8.5/10 for me

Unfortunately i went to the pictures to see it.

Thank fuck it was free is all I can say.

If "good choreography" is now the benchmark for an oscar nomination then maybe Striptease should get a posthemous honour?

It was fucking shit, Thants. Pretentious fucking shite and you, sir, are a massive, squealing fucking bumder.

Ballet indeed...

Unfortunately i went to the pictures to see it.

Thank fuck it was free is all I can say.

If "good choreography" is now the benchmark for an oscar nomination then maybe Striptease should get a posthemous honour?

It was fucking shit, Thants. Pretentious fucking shite and you, sir, are a massive, squealing fucking bumder.

Ballet indeed...

Oh go nob on your own face you filthy dog.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas 8/10

Well that was a tough watch and an emotional subject all these years later, watched most of it wanting to launch something at the tele whenever the dad was on the screen.

Really fucking emotional that brought up a lot of hatred in me. Angry just thinking about Concentration Camps now, typing this up.

Didn't see the ending coming though, sat there in silence for about five minutes afterwards taking it all in.

Hard stuff.

The Godfather Part II. Just sublime. 20/10. The present day scenes with Michael are superb, but the look back at Vito's early life is something else altogether. I can't separate this movie from Part I because they're both just too good. I'd say that Part I is intimate, and Part II manages to be both intimate and epic. Coppola made the first two Godfather movies, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now, all in the 70s. That is one hell of a run.

The Godfather Part II. Just sublime. 20/10. The present day scenes with Michael are superb, but the look back at Vito's early life is something else altogether. I can't separate this movie from Part I because they're both just too good. I'd say that Part I is intimate, and Part II manages to be both intimate and epic. Coppola made the first two Godfather movies, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now, all in the 70s. That is one hell of a run.

Speaking of Coppola.

I watched Hearts of Darkness (10/10) earlier today on my new 60" plasma.

It's just as essential as Apocalypse Now. Absoultely brilliant documentary.

Watched the Redux cut a couple of days ago. Obviously 10/10. The picture and sound is amazing!

I know I've mention it earlier in this thread, but seriously, go and get the Full Disclosure edition on blu-ray if you love this film.

Here's a great review.

Speaking of Coppola.

I watched Hearts of Darkness (10/10) earlier today on my new 60" plasma.

It's just as essential as Apocalypse Now. Absoultely brilliant documentary.

Watched the Redux cut a couple of days ago. Obviously 10/10. The picture and sound is amazing!

I know I've mention it earlier in this thread, but seriously, go and get the Full Disclosure edition on blu-ray if you love this film.

Here's a great review.

Still haven't seen Heart Of Darkness! Also, I only have the Redux version and it has no extras on it.

Black Swan - 7/10 - I only watched it because I like the director and even though the subject matter was a bit odd I was strangely glued to it. Portman was immense.

The injury scenes were quite freaky, the bad girl role Kunis played was a bit over done but the lezzer scene was worth a watch. I hate Culkin.

I'm "working from home" today, so I just watched Buried.

6/10

Quite clever. It's not easy to make a film out of a man stuck in a box underground, but they pulled it off admirably.

I just found it a bit predictable and a slightly boring to be honest.

It was also a total waste of time renting on Bluray, as there's not a lot visually going on for obvious reasons. Likewise sound.

Black Swan - 7/10 - I only watched it because I like the director and even though the subject matter was a bit odd I was strangely glued to it. Portman was immense.

The injury scenes were quite freaky, the bad girl role Kunis played was a bit over done but the lezzer scene was worth a watch. I hate Culkin.

Black Swan star Mila Kunis splits from Macaulay Culkin after eight years | Mail Online