You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

21 hours ago, Mudface said:

It's what John would have wanted though. And George. Nah.

George got into the spirit of it in ‘95 so he’d be into it now no question. John was very expectant with George Martin and his ability to change John’s vocal in the studio to make it different, which lets be honest, is manipulative of the natural voice, so he was very much into the idea of pushing new audio in the studio environment. Would he make the same decisions as Paul, if the situation was reversed? We’ll never know.

39 minutes ago, bossy said:

When I first listened I thought it was just nice and nostalgic, but after a few listens, I think it’s, well, lovely. Beautiful tune. 

Same here. First listening it was ‘ok’ but the more I hear it, the more it grows on me. I mean, obviously I’ll get to a ‘peak’ but yes, it has a subtlety .

• Upvote 1

I’ve be given it a few more listens and I get the sentimentality everyone has (I was excited in the build up to the release to hear it myself) but the production just makes it all a bit ‘meh’. 

When it’s broken down and discussed I can really appreciate the construction and Rick Beato does that brilliantly (as he does with all of his videos). He also nails it with his overall feelings at the end. 

• Upvote 1

I am firmly in the camp of being ambivalent at first, then i saw the video and I was onside with it. There's a bit in the video which is a clip of George and John in hysterics at Shea Stadium and it was that moment that got me quite emotional. In the middle of the madness and hysteria, there they are sharing that moment together.  It's very beautiful and very poignant, and it's the finality of the whole thing that makes it that way. 

I'm honestly, not bothered about whether John or George would have liked it. As Paul says, all four of them are playing on it, which is more than can be said of some of the stuff on The White Album.  It's a nice little full stop and i think Paul, in particular, wanted that as i think the break up affected him the most. At the time it must have felt initially like it was the other three against him.    

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Red Shift said:

You know, it’s possible John is singing about Paul, George & Ringo on ‘Now And Then’

It’s more than likely he’s singing about Yoko, for sure (assuming the affair was over) or maybe the lyrics have a double meaning.

Yeah he was fully back with Yoko by 79. Sean was born in 75 and he made the decision to be a house husband then, but the germination of the lyrics could well have come about from them being apart, i guess. 

12 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

A relative of mine took Ringos role in Rory Storm when he left for the Beatles. Said he was a phenomenal drummer contrary to opinion.

I always come back to this when people slag Ringo's drumming.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Mook said:

The only people who think Ringo isn't a good drummer are people who haven't got a clue about drumming or music.

Do you know how many people like that there are in the world though? I mean, look at what's popular at the moment.

On 03/11/2023 at 03:33, Mook said:

The 'new' song is up there with Free As A Bird for needing one listen and then consigned to the dustbin of history.

Not that it affects their formidable back catalogue but all a bit pointless if you ask me.

No, have to disagree, Mook,

Free As A Bird does it for me.  100%.  Yes, there was an element of it breaking through due to nostalgia, the video, the technical wonder.  But even today I absolutely love it as a piece of work.

Real Love and Now and Then, yes, I would agree they're just alright.  Free As A Bird, though, I absolutely love it.

4 hours ago, Poor Scouser T said:

A relative of mine took Ringos role in Rory Storm when he left for the Beatles. Said he was a phenomenal drummer contrary to opinion.

13 minutes ago, Poor Scouser T said:

This guy was a good good drummer but struggled with some of Ringos beats.

You appear to have forgotten to log out and back in there, Big Man.