You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

6 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Really? Can't agree with that considering the history of the song.

Personally, I love it. Almost sounds like a Bond theme in parts. 

Just my opinion mate. I think it's a bit of a plodder and can hear why it remained in the can for decades.

I'm glad if it brings people enjoyment, that's what it's all about.

• Upvote 1

It's a bit strange, the documentary showed how far the final tunes could be from the original idea, so the practice of digging out half formed ideas or notes and expecting them to be as good as the final products isn't ever going to work. At best it should be a bonus track on a collected release. A curio.

32 minutes ago, Mook said:

Just my opinion mate. I think it's a bit of a plodder and can hear why it remained in the can for decades.

My missus thought it was a bit repetitive.

Opinions make the world go round.

Seeing the quotes from Giles Martin reminds me of the Big Train pisstake of his old fella.

AI is the scary part of this song, Terminator is coming. I'll  be prepared but I've told my missus she is fucked as if it's an hour out of date she won't touch it! 

2 hours ago, Mook said:

The 'new' song is up there with Free As A Bird for needing one listen and then consigned to the dustbin of history.

Not that it affects their formidable back catalogue but all a bit pointless if you ask me.

I love Free as a bird, especially alongside the video. This new one is okay not great, I think Free as a bird and Real love are miles better.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

So he's a relative?

No idea ha! Just always thought it a coincidence. Peter J was born in Aotearoa. We arrived in ‘74 with no knowledge of relatives living here. My Mum’s brother was Peter Jackson too. Electrician. Haha.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mook said:

For me, its more about the appropriateness of The Beatles (remaining) using the latest high tech to allow their expression to continue. That’s what they have always been about. No other band encapsulates the progression of pop along with new ideas in recording. Its fitting.

This is the end of the road, and after this last release, we’ll probably only be witnesses to the end of the road for Paul and Ringo aa well.

13 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

No other band encapsulates the progression of pop along with new ideas in recording.

Hmmm, I'm not convinced that is true but it would be an interesting debate.

I think the band broke up 53 years ago, this was a Lennon demo which was rejected at the time. They've all put their parts on at different times & it seems McCartney has produced and released it without the blessing of the dead two, who may have hated it for all we know.

I'm not sure it is an appropriate end to the recording career of The Beatles, Abbey Road was absolutely fine in that regard. This is scraping the barrel.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Mook said:

The 'new' song is up there with Free As A Bird for needing one listen and then consigned to the dustbin of history.

Not that it affects their formidable back catalogue but all a bit pointless if you ask me.

Yep feel the same. No need for it. Wasn't their a song after free as a bird that John was on that Paul wanted to record but George said nah it's shit?

4 hours ago, Mook said:

Hmmm, I'm not convinced that is true but it would be an interesting debate.

I think the band broke up 53 years ago, this was a Lennon demo which was rejected at the time. They've all put their parts on at different times & it seems McCartney has produced and released it without the blessing of the dead two, who may have hated it for all we know.

I'm not sure it is an appropriate end to the recording career of The Beatles, Abbey Road was absolutely fine in that regard. This is scraping the barrel.

It’s the last of 3 demos given to George Harrison by Yoko, which became the new songs as part of Anthology. They completed the first 2, but Paul specifically says, they didn’t have the tech to stop the piano getting in the way of the vocal on this (latest) song, so they left the recording incomplete.

Now, I get your point re Abbey Road. Genuinely interested in whether you think Yoko was simply after her chunk of the huge money they got out of Anthology in the mid 90s or whether there was a genuine attempt to extend the catalogue with new material?

George was successful - big solo career, Wilberries etc, he had no need to open another Beatles project, or do you think he did Yoko a favour, or was pressured by paul and Ringo and caved in? Or a bit of both?

6 hours ago, Red Shift said:

It’s the last of 3 demos given to George Harrison by Yoko, which became the new songs as part of Anthology. They completed the first 2, but Paul specifically says, they didn’t have the tech to stop the piano getting in the way of the vocal on this (latest) song, so they left the recording incomplete.

Now, I get your point re Abbey Road. Genuinely interested in whether you think Yoko was simply after her chunk of the huge money they got out of Anthology in the mid 90s or whether there was a genuine attempt to extend the catalogue with new material?

George was successful - big solo career, Wilberries etc, he had no need to open another Beatles project, or do you think he did Yoko a favour, or was pressured by paul and Ringo and caved in? Or a bit of both?

I don't have any issue with Yoko or anyone else coining it in, they're entitled to put the stuff out there and people are free to buy it, or not.

I bought a couple of the Anthology VHS tapes myself & absolutely love them, although I had no real interest in the two 'new' songs. Some of the historical outtakes were/are spectacular though.

As for George, he looked like he was enjoying it all to me although I'm not really up on the gossip. I have read this week that he didn't think much of Now & Then.

I like it. Quite emotional, though if that's the song or just the circumstances it's hard to separate. It's not world beating - but they've done that, so I don't think it matters. Maybe would have been nice for them to be a bit more experimental, but it is what it is. Looking forward to the video later. I think the three songs together make a neat package.

Next, release Peter Jackson's extra 4 hours of Get Back; get Jackson to sort an extended and cleaned up Anthology video; use the new tech to sort the audio on Free aas a bird and Real Love ; release the Star Club recording; release Carnival of Light; and reveal what these White Album recording videos are (or are they just a myth?) 

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, johnsusername said:

I like it. Quite emotional, though if that's the song or just the circumstances it's hard to separate. It's not world beating - but they've done that, so I don't think it matters. Maybe would have been nice for them to be a bit more experimental, but it is what it is. Looking forward to the video later. I think the three songs together make a neat package.

Next, release Peter Jackson's extra 4 hours of Get Back; get Jackson to sort an extended and cleaned up Anthology video; use the new tech to sort the audio on Free aas a bird and Real Love ; release the Star Club recording; release Carnival of Light; and reveal what these White Album recording videos are (or are they just a myth?) 

Yes, agreed. I think it might be a bit of both. A lot of Lennon’s stuff from that time was reflective, and I think this song is too, very much so. Assuming Paul is producer, I like the understated way he’s gone about it. It’s kind of like a goodbye hidden track, if you will - no fancy thrills, no experiments ( I agree though, that the song could have taken a slight sideways shift in a more creative way., and so that’s disappointing, but wasn’t it John’s impish ways that gave the band that?)

Anyway, it’s a nice goodbye in terms of being a Beatles swan song single.

Jackson’s (?) high-def video for this sing is very very well done, and for me, touching.

On 02/11/2023 at 20:47, Gnasher said:

Yep feel the same. No need for it. Wasn't their a song after free as a bird that John was on that Paul wanted to record but George said nah it's shit?

Real love wasn't it? I think that's a good song to be honest, though wasn't it featured by John Lewis? Maybe was best left.