You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How good is Dirk (Paco style)?

Paul

How good is Dirk?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. How good is Dirk?

It is a six for me, sadly not fit to lace the kings boots but very few are, if any in my book.

How can you not like him anyone who gives the effort that he does is impossible not to like. One thing I expect of any player is to give one hundred percent and he gives it in full.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't want to hear that he has a record of a goal every 2.2/2.3 games over his career or that he was our top scorer in the league last season.

You don't want to here that the reason he's not scoring as many is because he's playing a different role at the moment dropping deeper instead of higher up.

You've already pidgeonholed Kuyt (and most of our players/manager) and they don't fit into your narrow, idealistic, view of football so why bother debating it with you. In your eyes they'll never be good enough no matter what they do because they don't fit with how you view things.

I don't want to hear about him being the next Kezman though, he certainly doesn't have a one in 2.3 for us does he?

I have pidgeon hole'd Kuyt as having poor first touch, lack of technique etc because that's what I see. As for his lack of goals, fine, agree about his new position, but that doesn't explain his poor shooting accuracy.

It is a six for me, sadly not fit to lace the kings boots but very few are, if any in my book.

How can you not like him anyone who gives the effort that he does is impossible not to like. One thing I expect of any player is to give one hundred percent and he gives it in full.

what's not to like about Kuyt? You can't confuse footballing ability with personal attributes. It's all about footballing ability though. Look at Dalglish - while he undoubtedly worked hard for the team, he certainly didn't put the effort in that Kuyt does. But I would mark him as a 10, because at the end of the day, mental toughness or effort don't mean a flying fuck if you can't translate them into something positive for the team - and harrying the odd defender doesn't really qualify - even Dalglish would do it if the defender was conveniently positioned...

Where did I snipe?

I asked firstly what was arguable about his mental strength to which I got no response except the fact he wanted to give Paul at least one. I then took Rash's most crucial quality for a striker (having already summed up the other points with Vieri as an exampe) and said his goalscoring isn't as bad as people are making out.

The fact Rash pidgeon holes players was admitted by him.

Perhaps you should be a little less touchy and a little more involved in the discussion if you're so bothered?

I gone 6 to.I think the problem is not Dirk so much because his goal ratio in Holland was second to none.Rafa seems to play him more as link player between midfield and attack.To be honest until Rafa sticks to a team formation/strategy for the prem every striker here will have probs imo.Just shows how good Torres is.

On that scoring system id give Souness 11, Barnes & Hansen 10, Gerrard, Rush, Beardsley, Fowler, Owen, Lawrenson, Keegan & co 9, McDermott, Neal, Hughes & co 8, Hammann, Fairclough, Aldridge & co 7, McMahon, Thompson, Henchoz, Johnson & Co 6 and probably someone like Dean Saunders 5 who was still light years better than Kuyt

Where did I snipe?

I asked firstly what was arguable about his mental strength to which I got no response except the fact he wanted to give Paul at least one. I then took Rash's most crucial quality for a striker (having already summed up the other points with Vieri as an exampe) and said his goalscoring isn't as bad as people are making out.

The fact Rash pidgeon holes players was admitted by him.

Perhaps you should be a little less touchy and a little more involved in the discussion if you're so bothered?

I think his poor finishing in England is linked to his mental strength - don't you? I have seen him miss open goals.... and free headers. His goal scoring for Holland and Liverpool is not exactly prolific is it?

You didn not sum up the other points at all, for one Kuyt is no Vieri, Vieri scored in every league he played in... and Kuyt is a 5 out of 10 at best for the other attributes..

Now are you going to answer Zippy? Do you rate Kuyt? And what are your reasons for doing so or not doing so?

In my mind he is a good striker for a smaller team/league, but not good enough for one of Europe's big teams...

It never fails to amaze me how much some people rate the likable Dutchman. So, on a scale of one to ten, with one being Josemi and ten being Kenny, how do you rate him?

(I know numbers are a very crass way to quantify a player's talent, but it's about the easiest way to gauge the forum view. See it as a sliding scale of LFC talent over the years, if that helps. Where would you place him on that scale?)

Fucking hell, Paul. It's one thing to sympathise with Rashid, another completely to begin to turn into him.

Edit - just to say, I haven't read the thread. Haven't got the energy.

Fucking hell, Paul. It's one thing to sympathise with Rashid, another completely to begin to turn into him.

Edit - just to say, I haven't read the thread. Haven't got the energy.

Read it, it's comedy gold.

I think his poor finishing in England is linked to his mental strength - don't you? I have seen him miss open goals.... and free headers. His goal scoring for Holland and Liverpool is not exactly prolific is it?

You didn not sum up the other points at all, for one Kuyt is no Vieri, Vieri scored in every league he played in... and Kuyt is a 5 out of 10 at best for the other attributes..

Now are you going to answer Zippy? Do you rate Kuyt? And what are your reasons for doing so or not doing so?

In my mind he is a good striker for a smaller team/league, but not good enough for one of Europe's big teams...

Starter for ten: What positions have Kuyt played for Liverpool and Holland.

You may find your answer for a poorer goalscoring record in that question.

As for mental strength, missing an open goal has nothing to do with it unless you're telling me Henry lacks the mental strength. Mental Strength would be taking a penalty in the Derby then stepping up to take the potential winner.....except in your world obviously where it's down to luck or freak wind or something.