You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ryan Babel

Neil G

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You want him in the team because he is black. People that don't know the history of Spide Neil please bear with me....

Pongolle, Heskey, Diouf, Anelka etc etc have been past heroes of yours too... come on Neil leave it out. Not saing Babel is shite but your selection criteria leaves a lot to be desired and you know it!

sigh...

I want babel in the team because...he's black.

rash do you read half the stuff you write before you press the submit button

My thoughts exactly. I don't see it either. He never looks like he has the ball under full control to me, I keep expecting him to tread on it or take a heavy touch. Maybe it's his style and it's a bit deceptive, but I don't see why some people are buzzing off him. He looks really raw to me.

Same here, I think he was impressive against Villa because when he came on, the game was stretched and he could use the space effectively. However, that was on the counter attack. I don't see him as the kind of player that will make consistent openings when we're dominating a game and he has to beat two or three players to do it. Like people have said, he gets the ball caught under his feet and has a first touch that could do with improving.

Same here, I think he was impressive against Villa because when he came on, the game was stretched and he could use the space effectively. However, that was on the counter attack. I don't see him as the kind of player that will make consistent openings when we're dominating a game and he has to beat two or three players to do it. Like people have said, he gets the ball caught under his feet and has a first touch that could do with improving.

Same here. He definitely has one hell of a strike on him, but his first touch always looks like adrenaline gets the better of him. he's certainly a raw talent at this point.

raw talent is good though. I agree with the whole idea of him looknig clumsy at the moment, but i also expect him to do something positive. Too many of our attacking players over recent years have been afraid to go for the jugular and this seems to be one of his main assets. I get the feeling that he will be good at beating defenders when he is already up to speed, using his pace and strength, but when stationary doesnt seem to have the guile to beat his man. He gets me off my seat though, which is what i want.

he will score a goal before too long and then i feel his confidence will grow and we will see more from him. He is raw, but so was henry and so were many other top players at his age.

Agreed, just not a winger in the class of Cole, Robben, SWP, Ronaldo or even Malouda.

Great when were a goal up, not going to happen but I would like us to sell Crouch and get a wide player that can actually beat a man like SWP did yesterday and play Babel as Torres's partner

I've not seen enough of him yet to comment, but I sincerely hope we haven't spent £10m+ yet again on a player whose touch isn't up to scratch as people seem to be suggesting.

Thats sort of a comment though isn't it?

Anyone forming any sort of opinion on two sub appearances needs their heads examined.

Thats sort of a comment though isn't it?

Anyone forming any sort of opinion on two sub appearances needs their heads examined.

Pedant. I was commenting on the comments of some commentators (of the amateur variety).

Not sure if this hasn't already been mentioned as I haven't read all the posts but whenever he had the ball he never attempted to take the opposistion on. He always went infield.

Strangely this is exactly what Pennant was doing until midway through last season.

I think its a partial confidence thing. You go infield so you can lay the burden onto someone else or you're not too sure what your teammates expect of you and you of them so you go inside.

The more confidence he has in himself, and his colleagues in him, the more he will take the opposition on.

Re-evaluate after Christmas.

:thumbup:

All the concerns about Babel in this thread are understandable, but the only way to iron out his flaws is to play him regularly and let him work on his game.

We don't have another really tough league game until the derby on October 20th. There are six more league games before then, and I'd like to see him get a full 90 minutes in at least half of them. The longer he goes without getting a fair crack of the whip, the greater the risk of his confidence starting to wane.

One of Babels attributes is he is good at controlling a ball and is fast and direct towards goal.

I know he comes across as a confident lad but i do believe the lad is shitting himself as its such a big step up for him.

He has to be given time and once he is used to his new surrounding and has more confidence on the ball im sure we will start to see what the lad can truly do.

Aren't we allowed to be sceptical about an 11 million pound signing who looks technically so-so (certainly by Dutch standards)? I really worry about Babel - but hope to be proved completely and embarrassingly wrong...

I think he has done nothing at all to make us worry so far. I have been a bit suprised and very impressed.