You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Monarchy

Remmie

2 minutes ago, nimrod said:

As a 'left wing prick' I think your head has completely imploded into irrational ranting, in fact I think you may be unwell.
I have a totally different approach to the preservation  of the Monarchy, not because I'm a 'monarchist' but the alternative 'republic'  would be seen as a good opportunity for Murdoch and the rest of 'TNWO' to install a president to do their bidding, a fascist dictatorship is what the 'ruling class' would love.

Nope.

The replacement for our monarchy isn't a Murdoch-imposed dictator: it's nothing. There is literally nothing the Royal Family do that needs to be anybody's job. There's the ceremonial stuff, cutting ribbons and handing out awards like any old Lord Mayor; we could get Ant & Dec to do that shit. Then there's the secretive meddling in politics; it's best that nobody does that.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, nimrod said:

As a 'left wing prick' I think your head has completely imploded into irrational ranting, in fact I think you may be unwell.
I have a totally different approach to the preservation  of the Monarchy, not because I'm a 'monarchist' but the alternative 'republic'  would be seen as a good opportunity for Murdoch and the rest of 'TNWO' to install a president to do their bidding, a fascist dictatorship is what the 'ruling class' would love.

How is this different to what we have now?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

It's wall to wall Adele music on every radio station.

I put Radio X on only to hear a very solemn Chris moyles taking about how "frivolous" his car competition was and he'd get back to it in a few weeks. So, is he just going to play Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad for the next fortnight I wonder. 

I thought he was going to start crying at one point, the big girls blouse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My employer is cancelling some court proceedings today because of yesterday. Absolutely ridiculous.

I’ll be fucked off if the football / sport in general is cancelled this weekend. 

Lots of low wage workers / businesses will be relying on a wage / increase in trade crowds bring. 

What about the Great North Run and how many millions it brings in for charity. 

How many millions will be at sporting events this weekend? Surely requesting them to reflect on a 2 mins silence, maybe play the National Anthem, is more respectful than everybody tossing it off not doing anything. 

We’ve all got to work today, why should we be cancelling something that people enjoy? 

I have no real issue with all the coverage, its inevitable.

My only real comment would be she was 96 years old, apparently only had 2 days off a year and yet ive already seen her have tea with paddington bear about 6 times. They have had years to plan this and it seems they have about 2 hours worth of material on loop.

12 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

My employer is cancelling some court proceedings today because of yesterday. Absolutely ridiculous.

I’ll be fucked off if the football / sport in general is cancelled this weekend. 

Lots of low wage workers / businesses will be relying on a wage / increase in trade crowds bring. 

What about the Great North Run and how many millions it brings in for charity. 

How many millions will be at sporting events this weekend? Surely requesting them to reflect on a 2 mins silence, maybe play the National Anthem, is more respectful than everybody tossing it off not doing anything. 

We’ve all got to work today, why should we be cancelling something that people enjoy? 

Because an extremely privileged,obscenely rich old woman who lives in an actual Palace has died.

Show some respect!

Apparently one issue about events going ahead this weekend is if there will enough Police to managed events. 

Literally, what the absolute fuck? Do they get the weekend off or something? Or has there been mass civil unrest, protesting and looting that I’ve missed?

The Royal Family and all its hangers on and 5th cousins removed and lords and ladies and dukes and duchesses and all the vultures will be shitting themselves as this has to be the beginning of the end. I think, generally, people liked Liz and even Phillip, but Charles? Camilla? It's definitely the end of an era. And by era I mean a general acceptance of a "royal family". 

Saying that, I'm trying to imagine President Liz Truss and maybe I would rather Charlie and Camilla...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1