You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

League aims now

Paul

What do you all think is now a realistic aim for the season considering where we are and how we're playing? Personally, I think second is just about achievable, but unlikely; third should be nailed on, though. Hermes talked about 75 points being respectable, elsewhere, and from where we are now with 40 points and 16 matches remaining, that would be decent - especially when the shite first third of the season is taken into account.

However, can we do better than that? With 48 points to play for, how many can we get? A non-Red mate said to me today that he thought we'd lose at least another 2 or 3 despite our improvements. That's 9 defeats in a season! Anyone think we can remain unbeaten in the league from this point on? There are no genuinely tough away fixtures left and we look nigh on unbeatable at home (although I'll believe it when we've played the big three and the BS).

So, predictions please. I'm going for a wildly optimistic second and 80 points.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you all think is now a realistic aim for the season considering where we are and how we're playing? Personally, I think second is just about achievable, but unlikely; third should be nailed on, though. Hermes talked about 75 points being respectable, elsewhere, and from where we are now with 40 points and 16 matches remaining, that would be decent - especially when the shite first third of the season is taken into account.

However, can we do better than that? With 48 points to play for, how many can we get? A non-Red mate said to me today that he thought we'd lose at least another 2 or 3 despite our improvements. That's 9 defeats in a season! Anyone think we can remain unbeaten in the league from this point on? There are no genuinely tough away fixtures left and we look nigh on unbeatable at home (although I'll believe it when we've played the big three and the BS).

So, predictions please. I'm going for a wildly optimistic second and 80 points.

I'll say Hermes was right. 75 points, 3rd place and lots of new cash. BTW did you get my PM Master Paul?

I think second will be a step too far. Slaphead Terry will be back to galvanise them and unfortunatley this will keep them out of reach for us.

I'm going for 79 points for us. We will keep our excellent form going for the last 16 matches, and I'm predicting 12 wins, 3 draws and 1 loss, giving us our 79 point total. This will land us third spot. Arsenal will lose too many silly games against lesser teams due to their inexperience and lack of steel. They will still easily be good enough for fourth.

I know that ManUre's form can't last. They will drop points and they have ALL their difficult games still to play. Away at Arsenal, Chelsea, Us, Bolton, etc.

I think we are contenders right now... but I'm overly optimistic when it comes to Liverpool.

However, I do feel it's a serious longshot. We can't lose another match.

Guest TK-421

Aim to get as many wins as possible and see where it takes us come the big shake up.

I think we'll finish third but am hoping for more, much more.

Personally, I think second is just about achievable, but unlikely; third should be nailed on, though.

ManUre unfortunately look like winning it. I think Cheslski are stuttering and will continue to stutter so, if we keep our heads, I honestly believe second is entirely possible and quite likely.

Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy..

With a speech like that ill say.......third;)

Guest Kaelin

Champions League Qualification (top Four) and a cup (number 6 pref) is what I'd like, that's Minimum I reckon. I reckon 2nd is reachable but we must beat Chelsea Arse and Man U for that. As long as where top 4 and not 30 odd points behind that'll do me.

i know this sounds optimistic, but i have just been looking at our fixture list until the end of the season, and i can see us winning all of them, there's only two games there in which we wont be favourites for ( manu an chelsea ).

but we will be at home for both and we can win anyone at home as you all know, so i'm goin for 1st or second...optimistic, but genuinley achievable

You'd think people had learnt not to start expecting big things and put the team under any more unnecessary pressure at this stage of the season. We should be concentrating on consolidating third and then merely hoping for slip ups above us. Make third safe by taking one game at a time. Then we can wait and see if there's the added bonus of coming second.

Another draw for Chelsea. Lets take it a game at a time and see where we get.

Yeah that and what Pete said above is probably the best approach for us.

I won't be getting complacent about our form because I don't feel we can be fully trusted consistency wise just yet.

Dave put it in a good way in his Bolton match report when he indicated that he feels there may be 'a Blackburn' performance around the corner at any time for us.

If we want to finish second we simply can't afford to slip up but that's not a very realistic goal.

Guest TK-421

1 Liverpool (3) 8 6 1 1 17 1 16 2.12 0.12 2.37 19 WwlWwWwD

2 Manchester United (1) 8 6 1 1 19 8 11 2.37 1.00 2.37 19 dWWwlWwW

3 Chelsea (2) 8 4 4 0 14 10 4 1.75 1.25 2.00 16 DDwwWDwd

4 Bolton Wanderers (4) 8 5 0 3 12 8 4 1.50 1.00 1.87 15 lWWwwWlL

5 Blackburn Rovers (11) 8 5 0 3 13 12 1 1.62 1.50 1.87 15 wWWlwLlW

6 Arsenal (5) 8 4 2 2 16 9 7 2.00 1.12 1.75 14 lwWDwdWl

7 Portsmouth (6) 8 3 4 1 14 10 4 1.75 1.25 1.62 13 DlwWdWDd

8 Newcastle United (13) 8 4 1 3 14 13 1 1.75 1.62 1.62 13 DllWWlwW

9 Tottenham Hotspur (7) 8 4 1 3 13 12 1 1.62 1.50 1.62 13 dLWlwWWl

10 Manchester City (10) 8 4 1 3 9 9 0 1.12 1.12 1.62 13 WwwLLlDw

11 Sheffield United (16) 8 4 1 3 9 10 -1 1.12 1.25 1.62 13 lWLlwDWw

12 Everton (8) 8 3 1 4 10 10 0 1.25 1.25 1.25 10 lWDwLlWl

13 Fulham (12) 8 2 4 2 8 12 -4 1.00 1.50 1.25 10 DddDWllW

14 Reading (9) 8 2 2 4 14 12 2 1.75 1.50 1.00 8 WldLLdlW

15 Middlesbrough (15) 8 2 2 4 10 10 0 1.25 1.25 1.00 8 WldWlDlL

16 Charlton Athletic (19) 8 2 2 4 8 16 -8 1.00 2.00 1.00 8 WDlLlWlD

17 Wigan Athletic (17) 8 1 1 6 6 16 -10 0.75 2.00 0.50 4 LlLLLdwL

18 West Ham United (18) 8 1 1 6 2 17 -15 0.25 2.12 0.50 4 lLLdWlLl

19 Watford (20) 8 0 3 5 3 9 -6 0.37 1.12 0.37 3 dLllDdLl

20 Aston Villa (14) 8 0 3 5 8 16 -8 1.00 2.00 0.37

Form table for the last eight matches. Every reason to be confident about the rest of the season.

Maybe a touch out of date after tonight but still encouraging.