You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If were not Top 6 by January 1st

Red Nick

WILL THE BOARD CONTINUE TO SUPPORT RAFA IN THE TRANSFER MARKET

To my mind the board havent given Rafa the Financial support to buy the players he wants in the same way they did with Houllier, Evans & Souness which i think is wrong.

However if come january were 7th in the league some 20 plus points behind chelsea (quite possible) with the board try and go back on promisses made to rafa with regard to new signings

They may say we have given Rafa a lot of money and the only unqualified success is Alonso and do we really want to give a manager who may never make it in the premiership that sort of money when his activities in the transfer market are questionable.

Rafa's response would be quite rightly, when you have give me over 10m to spend on one player i have bought quality but your asking me too buy players that arent at the top, I am having to look for bargains or potential players such as Sissoko or Zenden and by the way i did win the CL last season.

I am a bit worried that if our form continues then Rafa may not get the players he needs to make us compete at the top level.

As they say TIME WILL TELL & All Will Be Revealed in January

Think he's been backed quite well.

Although it could obviously have been better.

Owen and a right winger during the summer wouldnt have hurt.

But at the same time.

I think Rafa fucked up as much as the board in the summer.

He choosed to spend over 18 million on Crouch, Sissoko and Reina.

Players who didnt improve our first choice eleven very much at all IMO.

Not close to what a central defender a right winger and Michael Owen would have done.

I,ll second that.Sissoko looks like he could be a top class midfield player in a couple of years.The only part of his game that needs improving is his use of the ball,and thats what Rafa more or less told us when he signed him anyway.First post here guys so dont be to hard on me!!

you either fully back your manager or you sack him. There is no inbetween.

i agree with that but our history on this tells us something completely different we tend to fudge it

Ala Souness, Evans (joint manager) and Houllier who kept his job but didnt get the support and was fatally wounded.

i agree with that but our history on this tells us something completely different we tend to fudge it

Ala Souness, Evans (joint manager) and Houllier who kept his job but didnt get the support and was fatally wounded.

The club didn't have the money in the season of houllier's departure. We had no european cup football and poor cup runs. Although the club still spent £8m that summer and Pongolle and Le Tallec also arrived that summer.

if we`re only 20 points behind Chavksi come january, ill be pretty happy tbh, and, i reckon that will mean we`re about 3rd or 4th, with the rate tham cunts are going

we dont need to be buying loads of players in january, i reckon 2 QUALITY, an di mean QUALITY, no cheap, bargain basement bonanza from scandavia, but 2 top internationals with real hunger in their belly, i want joaquin, and a fast centre half, nicking Gallas away from the chavs would be super, but wont happen

mind you, i dreamt Neil Warnock got the irish job last night, so anything is possible :D :D

The club didn't have the money in the season of houllier's departure. We had no european cup football and poor cup runs. Although the club still spent £8m that summer and Pongolle and Le Tallec also arrived that summer.

true but they found the money for him when he first took over from Evans and no european football that season, it most defo wasnt 100% support. It was Moores at his weakest hence Morgan trying to take advantage of it.

They should support Rafa to the hilt

true but they found the money for him when he first took over from Evans and no european football that season, it most defo wasnt 100% support. It was Moores at his weakest hence Morgan trying to take advantage of it.

They should support Rafa to the hilt

Share issue to Granada, aswell as selling media rights to granada brought in some of that money. (brought in £42m in total)

Share issue to Granada, aswell as selling media rights to granada brought in some of that money. (brought in £42m in total)

thats why any new investment should go into the stadium and not new players, because when the players have gone your back to square one and you can only sell the shares of the club a few times before there's no equity left

How much he spent in comparison to Tottenham Newcastle? Give him money and he spend well (Garcia and Alonso). Sissoko was a bargain.

The others didn't cost us much at all. Its the ambition by the board that is the key, what manager doesn't want the best players?

I'd like to see some signs of our players improving before I predict that Sissoko will turn into a great player. He is a rough diamond, but he needs a lot of work on his passing. That's why I wouldn't refer to him as an unqualified success just yet.

I'd like to see some signs of our players improving before I predict that Sissoko will turn into a great player. He is a rough diamond, but he needs a lot of work on his passing. That's why I wouldn't refer to him as an unqualified success just yet.

At 19? He has been brilliant IMO.

At 19? He has been brilliant IMO.

What are you talking about? I didn't say he hasn't been good ("brilliant" is over the top.) I said he has plenty of improvement in him. His passing needs a lot of work if he's to fulfil his potential. I just worry that we won't see a huge amount of improvement in him, since none of our other players have shown any improvement under Rafa.

thats why any new investment should go into the stadium and not new players, because when the players have gone your back to square one and you can only sell the shares of the club a few times before there's no equity left

Exactly, although to a certain point I would put some of the funds to transfers. Just to give that bit extra if needed. Putting any investment in the club towards the new stadium would help to reduce repayments thus realising the benefit of the extra seats sooner. This is possibly why we have not heard much on the stadium/investment front recently. I suspect they are working on this scenario. They'll still be loans but not on the scale that they might have been.

What are you talking about? I didn't say he hasn't been good ("brilliant" is over the top.) I said he has plenty of improvement in him. His passing needs a lot of work if he's to fulfil his potential. I just worry that we won't see a huge amount of improvement in him, since none of our other players have shown any improvement under Rafa.

Disagree about that.

Think Finnan took yet another step last season, and Carra developed a great deal aswell. If that's down to Rafa however, i dunno.

I'm not using it as "another stick to beat him with" or anything. I'm just pointing it out as an observation. Others might disagree, but to my eyes none of our players have gotten any better since Rafa took over, and some have actually gone backwards.