You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wheres Baros

CHARLIE

Jose Reina

Scott Carson

Steve Finnan

Sami Hyypia

Jamie Carragher

Stephen Warnock

Zak Whitbread

Josemi

John Arne Riise

Steven Gerrard

Darren Potter

Bolo Zenden

Luis Garcia

Dietmar Hamann

Xabi Alonso

Djibril Cisse

Fernando Morientes

Anthony Le Tallec

:wallbutt:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant believe we are shipping out the best striker at the club.

Dont care what anyone says about "systems" we should be keeping our best players.

Exactly. Rafa has made it clear from day 1 that Baros was not in his plans. He's making a big mistake.

Guest FarmersBoy

Why sell him?

1. Because he's only scored something like 2 in 23 games.

2. Because he's often going into the press about how he should be playing more/longer and will be 'considering options' if not.

3. Because he's congenitally incapable of lifting his head to see what's going on.

4. Because he's not a great finisher (think of all the one on ones he missed last season - would you rather Milan had been taking that penalty in the shootout than Cisse?)

5. Because his principal asset - his pace - is not as good as Cisse's

I think Rafa has this one spot on. I don't think he's going to improve as a player. At the end of last season he was on about leaving if things didn't improve with his chances to play - even though he was the main striker. Then we win the CL and he's prepared to fight for his place again? Keeping him will be just garnering a bucketload of whinging.

To be fair this so called whinging was in the czech press were you can bet his words were twisted in translation. Yeah he never scored that many in the second half of the season but he was always the first to get hauled off. First half of the season he was are best player along with Carragher. He might not lift his head up at times, still he aint got an elephant touch like Cisse

To be fair this so called whinging was in the czech press were you can bet his words were twisted in translation. Yeah he never scored that many in the second half of the season but he was always the first to get hauled off. First half of the season he was are best player along with Carragher. He might not lift his head up at times, still he aint got an elephant touch like Cisse

I wonder why if he is so good why nobody (besides Gh) seems remotely interested in signing him. Baros is available for a knock down price (as we always selll our players off cheap). He does some things really well and on his day is quality but his day doesn't happen often enough.

Why sell him?

2. Because he's often going into the press about how he should be playing more/longer and will be 'considering options' if not.

3. Because he's congenitally incapable of lifting his head to see what's going on.

4. Because he's not a great finisher (think of all the one on ones he missed last season - would you rather Milan had been taking that penalty in the shootout than Cisse?)

I think Rafa has this one spot on. I don't think he's going to improve as a player. At the end of last season he was on about leaving if things didn't improve with his chances to play - even though he was the main striker. Then we win the CL and he's prepared to fight for his place again? Keeping him will be just garnering a bucketload of whinging.

Yeah, but apart from that.

Why sell him?

I've got a lot of time for Baros but its hard to disagree with any of that.

exactly , we want to keep baros, hell come back to haunt us if we dont

I was told a year ago that Rafa didnt rate any of the then 4 strikers ie Pongolle, Owen, Cisse & Baros and with Bascombes recent remarks about Cisse this information looks to be bang on the money as he doesnt seem that keen to have Owen back either.

I was told a year ago that Rafa didnt rate any of the then 4 strikers ie Pongolle, Owen, Cisse & Baros and with Bascombes recent remarks about Cisse this information looks to be bang on the money as he doesnt seem that keen to have Owen back either.

I am sure I read when Rafa first joined that he tried to sign Cisse when Rafa was manager of Valencia but of course he wasn't allowed to. I think that about Owen too - I am also sure I read a Carra interview and Carra would have liked Owen back but reckoned Rafa wasn't too keen. I think. god I wish my memory worked!!

In my honest oppinon, Rafa rates Pongolle highly and has plans for him in the future. However, if I was to be wrong and he was sold in the age of under 22 I will be uterly dissapointed.

i think Pongolle has a future but not as a striker but in the wide positions.

Rafa did say he rated Cisse but also said he wanted to keep Murphy, in fact he said he had the best 4 strikers in the prem but I doubt he really believed it, just trying to instil confidence in those players

Guest Kaelin
I am sure I read when Rafa first joined that he tried to sign Cisse when Rafa was manager of Valencia but of course he wasn't allowed to. I think that about Owen too - I am also sure I read a Carra interview and Carra would have liked Owen back but reckoned Rafa wasn't too keen. I think. god I wish my memory worked!!

He said that his scouting team or head Scout at Valencia told him if they buy Cisse they'll win the league for the next 2 seasons.

Dunno bout thye Owen part tho.

ha haaa.

seriously though, you only have to watch the first half of the final, it is a perfect microcosm of baros the player.

his attitude stucnk towards the end of last year, and when games are tight and you need to be sure of taking chances, he fails us. (the derby, juve away to name two)

Why sell him?

Baros's principle asset is excellent close control under pressure and ability to hold the ball up, combined with decent pace. Still not yet sure about Cisse's close control, as most of what we've seen is him on the wing knocking the ball past left-backs, but he seems to be improving.

I would have though he'd have changed his mind about Pongolle after this season, not necessarily as a frontline striker, but definitely as a very useful squad player.