You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel - A Rant

Rashid

The world would be a better place if that shitstain of a country didn't exist.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh, do fuck off...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-43043832

Virgin Atlantic in Palestinian couscous row

www.bbc.co.uk

Virgin Atlantic in Palestinian couscous row

Image copyright Getty Images

Virgin Atlantic has found itself at the centre of a social media row after removing the word Palestinian from an in-flight meal following complaints.

A couscous-style salad had been described on a menu as "inspired by the flavours of Palestine".

Pro-Israel social media users called for a boycott of the airline, saying it pandered to Palestinian supporters.

However, the airline's decision to remove the terms sparked a fresh backlash from Palestinian sympathisers.

Twitter user @Thedaniwilliams highlighted the controversial dish after taking a flight in December 2017.

Sharing a photo of the menu, they suggested the airline had been influenced by the pro-Palestinian campaign group Boycott, Divestment and Sanction (BDS).

David Garnelas shared a similar photograph of the menu to the Israel Advocacy Movement Facebook group suggesting "Israelis must boycott Virgin".

After a number of social media users expressed their dissatisfaction with the naming of the dish, the airline apologised for causing offence and changed it to 'couscous salad'.

However, the dish's name change has caused fresh controversy after some on social media questioned the airline's decision to remove the word Palestinian.

A number of Twitter user expressed their anger at the change of wording, and asked why Virgin Atlantic thought the word Palestinian was offensive.

Twitter user Anna Habibti said anti-Palestinian groups were trying to "wipe Palestine off the menu" as well as "off the map".

Geographically, the term Palestine is used by many pro-Palestinians to refer to the Israeli-occupied West Bank, East Jerusalem and Gaza and, at most, Israel itself - something supporters of Israel regard as delegitimising the state.

Virgin Atlantic told the BBC the airline chose to name the dish Palestinian couscous salad as the main ingredient, maftoul, is not widely-known.

Maftoul is often referred to as Palestinian couscous and is made from sun-dried bugler wheat.

A spokesperson for the airline said: "We'd like to reassure all customers that our sole intention was to bring new flavours onboard, and never to cause offence through the naming or renaming of the dish."

It is not the first time the classification of food has been a source on tension between Israeli and Palestinian groups.

In 2015, UK supermarket Waitrose came under fire from Palestinian supporters for publishing a Taste of Israel magazine which included a number of traditionally Arabic dishes.

By BBC UGC and Social News

• 1 month later...

More extrajudicial executions...

Israeli forces killed five Palestinians in the besieged Gaza Strip on Friday, according to Palestinian authorities, as protesters were demonstrating across the occupied Palestinian territory and Israel on Friday to mark "Land Day".

The Gaza Ministry of Health confirmed in the early afternoon that four Palestinians had been killed during clashes on the border with Israel, identifying the slain Palestinians as Mohammad Kamel Najjar, 29, who was killed near Jabalia in northern Gaza, Mahmoud Abu Muammar, 38, near Rafah in the south, Mohammad Abu Ummar, and 16-year-old Ahmad Odeh, north of Gaza City.

Hours before the protests, an Israeli tank shell killed a Gaza farmer and wounded another, the Gaza health ministry said.

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/gaza-farmer-killed-israeli-tank-shell-protesters-prepare-land-day-march-1026170817

I am 100% behind the idea you can challenge the ideology/regime without hating the people. Who’d have thought that possible?

Loads of people.

I have nothing against Jewish people. Including my Jewish family members in Canada. I do, however, dislike land thieves and extreme nationalists who oppress and murder to promote their own interests .

Loads of people.

I have nothing against Jewish people. Including my Jewish family members in Canada. I do, however, dislike land thieves and extreme nationalists who oppress and murder to promote their own interests .

I’m pretty sure that if I got up off the sofa for a piss you’d be in my seat by the time I got back.

So you’re not racist, which I fully accept, but I am for doing exactly the same thing? Anyway this isn’t about me and all you lot so I’ll be a good boy and walk away b

Don't remember you being critical of Russia when it annexed part of Ukraine.

I can only presume some "land thieves" are more equal than others.

If anyone deserves the right to be a bit touchy it is the Jews.

True. But the lines between defence and aggression can often become blurred.

I'm sure there's somebody somewhere who'd try to argue that Hitler was entitled to defend the German bloodline and restore national identity and pride after the embarrassment of the first World War.

Yep. It might be best to discontinue any discussion if you think it's a relevant comparison to liken the Israel/Palestine issue to somebody sitting in your seat when you go to the toilet.

Christ...

You’ve gone double daft, never go double daft. I was referring to you popping up wherever I post. You being the wider ‘you’ of course.