You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Atalanta (A) - EL Quarter Final, 2nd leg - Thu 18th Apr 2024 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Just now, joe_fishfish said:

Disagree with this as well. Bit more luck with injuries this season and we’d still be in with a shout for the league, probably wouldn’t have conceded three at home to this Atalanta side either.

This team is an enigma. The squad is crap and good at the same time. The mentality is crap and good at the same time. The results were really good, the performances were mostly not.

You make whatever you want to make of it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Olddantucker said:

So that would be the glass half full perspective, then. I like it, I’ll cling to it, deep down I will know it’s probably a pile of bollocks.

What do you think would have happened without the announcement?

Just now, chrisbonnie said:

But how could the club hide the fact they where actively looking for his replacement? 

I get what you're saying, but in this day and age, it would have been impossible to keep it quiet 

You’re right- I’m not disputing the issues/actions, just that it has to have been unsettling, compounded as the going got tough. 

2 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Salah scores ant it’s fully game on. Unbelievably bad effort, no excuse. But there will be.

We scored in the first ten minutes, that should have been more than enough encouragement for the team and Klopp to throw the kitchen sink at them, instead we got unstructured stagnant play on the pitch and a reluctance to make changes off it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

This team is an enigma. The squad is crap and good at the same time. The mentality is crap and good at the same time. The results were really good, the performances were mostly not.

We've (Klopp) has made the most of what we have but it has proven to be unsustainable hence the collapse in form. I do worry for next season as I'm unsure of if the players performing better due to Klopp and they are mostly pretty average.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Honestly mate as well as Kelleher did in most of the matches he played, we’d still have been much better off with Alisson fit all season. Trent missing 14 fucking weeks as well, as well as Bradley did I bet he could have used a breather before he got one.

• Upvote 1

They went man 2 man with our 3 forwards. Mame-Firmino-Salah would habe tore them a new arsehole a few years back. 

Dint understand why we didn't change out the 433 for so long. Could easily have gone 424 and played Szoboszlai and Mac Allister as a pivot and gave us another player to move the ball out of back quicker and forced them to change shape with a extra attacker to deal with. 

Players were terrible but Klopp/Pep have not been quick enough to change things the past month

We went completely flat after the substitutions. Did not have a single chance after Salah and Diaz went off.

We should have subbed C.Jones for Jota and that should be it.

Ah well, the first game killed us. 

Let's win the league instead 

Just now, Lee909 said:

Says everything 

20240418_220551.jpg

Summed up, we don't know what to do with the ball when we have it.

We used to have smart forwards, we've ebbed that away to 'street' players who rely on moments and the coaching of our attack hasn't helped it.

Congratulations to Atalanta. Well played.

As for us, good start but wasted it. The Salah miss killed us. Our heads dropped and Gasparini was able to make adjustments while still having a two goal lead. The best you can say is that at least we’ve won a game.

Think the players need to do some conscience searching here. Nobody expects us to catch City, so do you want to make them work for it, or just mope on the sidelines?

1 minute ago, luxury_scruff said:

Our keeper is so slow in getting the ball out with his feet.

Didn't have any options other than kick it long. The press was good as it was all about slowing down not winning the ball. One pass was on and immediately it meant passing back. They figured us out easily and in 180 mins the players and coaching staff didn't figure anything out to beat ist

2 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

I can forgive the result after last week's shit show but I cannot forgive the most cowardly, gutless European 2nd half performance I've ever seen under Klopp. That was fucking dreadful. At half time we were in control. Three attacking subs later we were on our knees spreading our arse cheeks for a shit mid table Italian team. Utterly fucking unforgivable. Wankers. 

I think that after the Salah miss we ran out of ideas.

Needed a big 10 at the start of the 2nd half but we were flat. subs made little impact we needed a spark Trent tried but he needs to learn not to play the Hollywood pass every time .

Atalanta are a good side and fair play to them we took them lightly at ours and they did a number on us I seem to recall them doing the same to AC Milan in series A. You've got to give these teams respect and not just think a win I'd a given

1 minute ago, luxury_scruff said:

Our keeper is so slow in getting the ball out with his feet.

Alisson’s a game-changing shot-stopper, but Kelleher’s superior with his feet and might have been a better option tonight, as Atalanta ate up every bit of space whenever Alisson had the ball. 

2 minutes ago, Code said:

We went completely flat after the substitutions. Did not have. Single chSbce after Salah and Diaz went off.

We should have subbed C.Jones for Jota and that should be it.

Ah well, the first game killed us. 

Let's win the league instead 

We went flat after Salah shinned what should have been a reasonably easy lob.

• Upvote 2

4-3-3 doesn't work for us anymore Salah and Diaz are to narrow Robbo has been bombing on since he came back but Trent / Gomez coming inside makes it to congested Bradley offers width on the over lap but more importantly Nunez Diaz and Salah missing 2 or 3 clear cut chances every week has killed our confidence big changes need for the last 6 or 7 games I'd seriously fuck this formation tactic off play 4-2-3-1 Jota uptop Diaz Mac and Salah behind with Endo and Trent sitting in.

• Upvote 2

To me, it feels like it's all over now.

There's not enough fight or energy in this team. I think we'll lose more games and stick on 3rd place.

Klopp has delivered the best football I've seen, but like my ninth wank, it's all air bubbles and piss.

10 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Good manager? Hard disagree there. They made Atletico Madrid look like 1970 Brazil tonight. Imagine watching that kick and rush shite every week, it’s no wonder he lasted eight games or something at Inter.

Ha, what? Just knocked us out of Europe and their whole fucking squad cost about the same as Nunez and Szoboszlai. 

Utterly bizarre take. They won the first leg three nil, why would they take any chances tonight?