You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (H) - Sun 10th Mar 2024 (3:45pm)

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

The last three paras of Ken Early's match analysis in the Irish Times on Monday are excellent:

The other big call was the decision by Michael Oliver not to award a penalty in the last minute when Jérémy Doku kicked MacAllister in the chest. It will surely go down as one of the worst refereeing decisions of the season. We can at least look forward to the spectacle of the PGMOL boss, Howard Webb, having to discuss a ref botching a studs-to-chest incident on his TV show with Michael Owen. The most famous (non-) decision in Webb’s own refereeing career was his failure to notice Nigel de Jong kicking Xabi Alonso in the heart in the 2010 World Cup final. Webb, at least, could plead in his defence that he didn’t have VAR. Oliver could have gone to take a second look at the incident, but he decided he didn’t need to.

It’s not that Oliver, who earlier this season officiated a game in the UAE Pro League, has an objection to making big decisions on video evidence. He was on VAR duty when Manchester City played at Old Trafford earlier this season. He instructed referee Paul Tierney to give a penalty to City after seeing that Rasmus Højlund had held on to Rodri at a City set-piece. It was a surprising decision in the context of a season where all manner of premeditated holding, blocking and shoving has become so normalised at set pieces.

Oliver was also the referee when Manchester City played Arsenal in October. Kovacic committed two big fouls in quick succession, against Martin Ødegaard and Declan Rice. Oliver let him away with a single booking, to the fury of the Emirates. Webb later admitted that Kovacic should have been sent off. “He doesn’t want to have a negative impact on the game by overreacting to something,” Webb said. Why should he “overreact” when he can have just as big an impact by doing nothing at all?

Absolutely spot on that. That should be emailed to Richard masters and the CEO of every league club. This is what people see in the way the game is officiated outside of the English bubble, where bent refs are seen as the exclusive problem of Johnny foreigner. Your entire league having it's credibility questioned because the person who leads the referees is not just incompetent, but actively encourages these conflicts of interest within our game. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I was thinking about this the other day. Why do they need to talk to the referee and give each other guidance on what has happened and the outcome? This is here to get big decisions right. Why not operate it in a way where the onfield decision is upheld until there's a massive clanger and then there's no communication other than to look at the screen? This decision could even be made by the pointless 4th official. 

That’s what I think too.  And they can ‘protect’ the ref by saying they’re stepping in in circumstances where the ref couldn’t have had a proper view of the incident and he’s being invited to have a proper view before making his final decision on it.  

59 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's like this thing they have, a Liverpool fan ref can't ref a Liverpool or Everton game or any of Liverpool's rivals. And they enforce this it seems if there's a suspicion that it could be conflict - like mike dean, despite coming from the Wirral and supporting Tranmere, only got Liverpool and Everton games once COVID came along. Yet half the leagues referees come from Manchester, yet seem allowed to referee both Manchester clubs and their rivals. You can't have these regional conflict of interests, but only enforce them when you feel like. Either it's an issue or it isn't. 

Yeah, it's another issue. But really you'd want someone who's also not under the control of PGMOL too. 

That's only for last man if they make a genuine attempt for the ball. It wasn't a real last man situation anyway right out there. But it was a dangerous challenge, proved actually by the fact he injured himself. And was lucky not to have injured Nunez. Earlier in the day, mcginn was sent off for exactly that type of challenge and ederson should have been too. His objective was to wipe out Nunez, he had no chance of getting the ball. 

Nah, his objective was to welly the ball, Nunez just got there before him.

4 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Nah, his objective was to welly the ball, Nunez just got there before him.

We'll have to agree to disagree about that. Ederson wipes players out all the time, he's a massive cunt. He just flies out and doesn't care if he can get the ball or not. He adopts a "take anything he can get near" approach. For one of the few times in my life, I'm disappointed he's only got an international break injury. Justice for the way he attacks players would be a long term injury. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We'll have to agree to disagree about that. Ederson wipes players out all the time, he's a massive cunt. He just flies out and doesn't care if he can get the ball or not. He adopts a "take anything he can get near" approach. For one of the few times in my life, I'm disappointed he's only got an international break injury. Justice for the way he attacks players would be a long term injury. 

Yeah you are right he does clatter people.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, dave u said:

He's like a slightly less reckless, considerably more ugly Pickford.

With really shit tattoos

28 minutes ago, dave u said:

He's like a slightly less reckless, considerably more ugly Pickford.

You think he's less reckless? I don't see that myself. I just think he has less opportunities to make himself look a cunt and try to wipe people out. If he played for a shite team, he'd only play half the games. 

Richard Keys (I know, I know) is all over Oliver. Sadly as Richard Keys is a massive hairy dick his opinions won't make it into the mainstream but he's spot on here.

https://richardajkeys.com/index.php/blog

What did Jurgen Klopp have for lunch if he thought Stewart Attwell was going to tell Michael Oliver he’d made a mistake? There was no chance of that happening. Zero. None. Not Sunday. Not ever. And I’ve been telling you all this for months now.

Of course Liverpool should’ve had a late pen - but once Oliver had decided otherwise, Attwell was in a really invidious position. There was no way he was going to ask Oliver to go to the monitor.

Not since Saturday, September 4 2022 has that happened. Do you remember the incident? The match was Forest v Bournemouth. Forest were awarded a pen by Oliver when Bournemouth’s Lloyd Kelly handled.

Before the kick was taken, Oliver was invited to the monitor to review his decision. He decided his original call was correct. Of course he did.

At the time we all praised him for having the guts to stick with his decision. I believe it was the first time a ref had stayed with his on-field call after being sent to check it. Well - overturn it, because that always happens.

What isn’t so well known - but I’ve referred to it before - is that Oliver was furious he’d been asked to check his decision and he let his colleagues know, in no uncertain terms, at their next meeting. I can’t think of too many times since - if any - when Oliver has been back to a monitor. I would add that he’s one of the busiest when he’s in the bunker - but the message is clear when he’s got the whistle - don’t bother me.

I mentioned this only last week. I’ve lost count of the other occasions when I’ve referred to it. I’ve had people ridicule me for sticking to my guns on it - but now do you believe me?

Oliver is a fool to himself behaving the way he does. Perhaps he didn’t see Doku do his Nigel de Jong impression? What’s wrong with checking? Or perhaps Guardiola’s pre-match comments (which the FA should ask him for his observations on) were rolling around in his mind? Whatever - Attwell failed to do his job properly.

I read as I write that Attwell believed Doku’s foot was in a ‘reasonable position’. Please. Why do we go through this farce every week? You got it wrong guys. No amount of covering up or excuses will change that.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Best part of 30 years ago when I studied law, I remember an absolute fundamental of constitutional law was that in a public or governing body not only should there be no bias in decision making but that there should be no suspicion, or reason to have suspicion of, bias. Premier league referees on Manchester City's payroll absolutely pisses in the face of that fundamental. They're fucking laughing at us. 

Yes. Justice should also be seen to be done. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I said the same last week

I thought the mancs should ha e got a pen when he cleaned both the ball and Garnacho(I think) out in the edge of the box. He wasn't in control at all when he smashed into him

• Upvote 1

That's interesting from Keys because as much as he's a fucking dickhead, he will have contacts that told him about Oliver and his antics.

Some might say that's down to his ego, but what if it's more sinister? What if it's him wanting to influence games and not wanting his colleagues getting in the way? It's incredible that a ref is kicking off about being sent to a monitor by colleagues who have the benefit of replays, angles and slo mo's that he doesn't have. It's suspicious as hell too.

• Upvote 8

59 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Richard Keys (I know, I know) is all over Oliver. Sadly as Richard Keys is a massive hairy dick his opinions won't make it into the mainstream but he's spot on here.

https://richardajkeys.com/index.php/blog

What did Jurgen Klopp have for lunch if he thought Stewart Attwell was going to tell Michael Oliver he’d made a mistake? There was no chance of that happening. Zero. None. Not Sunday. Not ever. And I’ve been telling you all this for months now.

Of course Liverpool should’ve had a late pen - but once Oliver had decided otherwise, Attwell was in a really invidious position. There was no way he was going to ask Oliver to go to the monitor.

Not since Saturday, September 4 2022 has that happened. Do you remember the incident? The match was Forest v Bournemouth. Forest were awarded a pen by Oliver when Bournemouth’s Lloyd Kelly handled.

Before the kick was taken, Oliver was invited to the monitor to review his decision. He decided his original call was correct. Of course he did.

At the time we all praised him for having the guts to stick with his decision. I believe it was the first time a ref had stayed with his on-field call after being sent to check it. Well - overturn it, because that always happens.

What isn’t so well known - but I’ve referred to it before - is that Oliver was furious he’d been asked to check his decision and he let his colleagues know, in no uncertain terms, at their next meeting. I can’t think of too many times since - if any - when Oliver has been back to a monitor. I would add that he’s one of the busiest when he’s in the bunker - but the message is clear when he’s got the whistle - don’t bother me.

I mentioned this only last week. I’ve lost count of the other occasions when I’ve referred to it. I’ve had people ridicule me for sticking to my guns on it - but now do you believe me?

Oliver is a fool to himself behaving the way he does. Perhaps he didn’t see Doku do his Nigel de Jong impression? What’s wrong with checking? Or perhaps Guardiola’s pre-match comments (which the FA should ask him for his observations on) were rolling around in his mind? Whatever - Attwell failed to do his job properly.

I read as I write that Attwell believed Doku’s foot was in a ‘reasonable position’. Please. Why do we go through this farce every week? You got it wrong guys. No amount of covering up or excuses will change that.

What's he talking about with the drug cheats pre-match comments?

5 minutes ago, Byrnie said:

Guardiola was saying stuff along the lines of hoping the atmosphere doesn't get to the ref etc. I thought he'd gotten away lightly with that as well.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2024/03/09/pep-guardiola-man-city-vs-liverpool-anfield-referee/#:~:text=“You can't control what,to do is perform better.

16 minutes ago, Byrnie said:

I've not seen the Bein Sports interview and I generally avoid any interviews that cunt gives so I don't know, but from what Keys was saying there he was a rude, surly cunt in his post match. Nothing we haven't seen before from the guy who publicly claimed he was "better" than sports journalists.