You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Title Race

16 minutes ago, Strontium said:

It's fizzled out like Arsenal's title challenge did last season.

Of course, after last season, Arsenal went out and spent £200m. And therein lies the difference.

Arsenal were at the beginning of their attempt to become a world class team again. They're building something stable under the same manager.

Our season was almost a Cinderella title, built on a rebuild of the midfield and a desire to come back after last season, but ultimately built on not super solid ground. And then Klopp is leaving so there were the emotions, negative and positive of that.

• Upvote 1

City wint drop points till its over. Both ourselves and Arsenal blew it. It was there for the taking,especially for us. But lazy performances and I'd add some arrogant performances at times has cost them. Added to not being able to finish

You don't win titles picking up 1pt in 6 vs the teams 7th and 15th in the league in the last 8 games of tbe season. You also rarely win leagues when you get 3pts out of 12 against your rivals. 

17 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Okay, I’m going to gaslight myself. With Arsenal losing, if we are inch perfect and they and Shitty drop points we can still pull this out of the bag.

Because of our shit finishing city will need to slip up twice in 6 which I can’t see 

7 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

We play twice before Man City play next in the League. Four games in 11 days for them. 

Screenshot-20240414-184916-Chrome.jpg

Brighton and Forest

That's sone grasping for straws. 

The way we are playing we'll drop points again against a Fulham side that generally cause us problems

12 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Brighton and Forest

The way we are playing we'll drop points again against a Fulham side that generally cause us problems

We are designed to be suckerpunched. 23 times going behind that's a tactical/coaching issue.

10 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Brighton and Forest

Results last season for the optimists. 

Screenshot-20240414-191004-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20240414-190942-Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 2

It’s a big ask but we shouldn’t give up hope until it’s mathematically impossible. 

We’ve had ludicrous calls going against us which could’ve made us around 7-9 points better off and Arsenal and City a point worse off.  That’s made me make peace (or more like a state of wounded but powerless inevitability) with us not winning the league. So, anything that keeps us in it a bit longer is a bonus. 

But, the above, in a strange way, has made me not give up hope. There’s the cliché that “these things even themselves out over the season.” Not sure that I necessarily agree with anything being capable of levelling out some of the utterly unacceptable decisions we’ve been on the end of this season. 

But, I’ve got to believe that City won’t always get the rub of the green. They’ve always been lucky, lucky bastards as well as being bad financial doping cheats. 

The Sterling offside when he played for us, the Rodri non-penalty against Everton, the Doku non-penalty, Kompany scoring a once in a lifetime goal to secure a win against Leicester, a dodgy penalty at Wolves in 21/22. Just some of the woeful decisions and unprecedented incidents which have seen them beating us to titles. 

I can’t bring myself to accept that cheating fuckers will always be blessed with such spawniness and luck too. 

At some point, even if it’s just once, surely the footballing gods will conspire to ensure that something goes against them? 

I’m just going on blind faith that it’ll happen this season and that we don’t keep on getting the shitty end of the stick. 

• Upvote 2