You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Title Race

30 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I didn’t say it was mathematically gone. It still isn’t.

But it’s gone.

If you can’t see that, I can’t help you.

Agree.

Arsenal and the cheats are playing better than we are. The cheats will win all six games now.

It's so frustrating that either a win last week or a win today and it's in our hands, but one point against a shite United team and Palace at home has thrown it all away.

We've got too many players badly out of form. Not one of our attackers is playing well.

• Upvote 1

The problem is we're currently not playing well enough to win all our games and realistically we're probably going to have to do that to have any chance. I look at the games left and every single one looks like a banana skin. Obviously it's not impossible but you'd have to be a massive optimist to look at the past week's results and performances and think we're going to win enough points to really challenge now. 

‘At least Arsenal won’t win it now/At least Liverpool won’t win it now.’ 

I also think that this kind of discourse and the consolation that we take in City winning it over a rival ‘real’ football club like ourselves or Arsenal takes focus off the flagrant cheating and the 115 charges. The tribalism doesn’t help. 

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I am not confident about winning the next game, never mind next 6. I just cannot see us flicking a switch and start playing well suddenly, it could happen of course but I just cannot see it. The team looks shattered mentally & physically.

I think we will win all 6 now actually. Alisson, Trent and Jota are back. 3 quality players. Also the pressure is off now.

Sadly I think city will win all their games and it won't matter what we do.

1 hour ago, Megadrive Man said:

Agree.

Arsenal and the cheats are playing better than we are. The cheats will win all six games now.

It's so frustrating that either a win last week or a win today and it's in our hands, but one point against a shite United team and Palace at home has thrown it all away.

We've got too many players badly out of form. Not one of our attackers is playing well.

That's the killer. We've taken 1 point out of 6 in a title race.

The form/confidence has been lost because of that attack. The defence and the midfield will be shaking their heads at how we are out the FA Cup, didn't win there in the league and didn't atleast get a point yesterday. 

That many missed chances then transmits to the rest of the team. Especially when the stakes are high. So they then make mistakes too. Missing chance after chance builds its own pressure, in a title race it's magnified.

15 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

‘At least Arsenal won’t win it now/At least Liverpool won’t win it now.’ 

I also think that this kind of discourse and the consolation that we take in City winning it over a rival ‘real’ football club like ourselves or Arsenal takes focus off the flagrant cheating and the 115 charges. The tribalism doesn’t help. 

Personally I was hoping Arsenal would win it if we failed to do so. I'm sick of City and their tainted success that's made a mockery of football in this country. It's intolerable yet the media keep fawning over how supposedly amazing this cheating club is.

Now that we've blown it on all fronts the pressure will be off and with hopefully end of a period of rotten luck we will get a lot of our confidence back and start winning again.

It probably wouldn't be enough but this race has already turned several times this year and there may be more twists and turns down the road.

Or it may just be a procession for City.

We have still already made massive strides in the right direction compared to last season, other than Klopp leaving obviously, but maybe this new guy has some good ideas, who knows.

I may have reached my limit of doom and gloom today, lets start looking at what we are building, which is good and quite promising and forget about Klopp's send-offs and quadruples and Alonso the savior and other stuff mostly living only in our heads.

28 minutes ago, Baltar said:

Personally I was hoping Arsenal would win it if we failed to do so. I'm sick of City and their tainted success that's made a mockery of football in this country. It's intolerable yet the media keep fawning over how supposedly amazing this cheating club is.

Fuck Arsenal. They’ve thrown lots of money at it too. Anyway, I couldn’t care less about the media. I avoid all coverage of football.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

I think we will win all 6 now actually. Alisson, Trent and Jota are back. 3 quality players. Also the pressure is off now.

Sadly I think city will win all their games and it won't matter what we do.

That's the killer. We've taken 1 point out of 6 in a title race.

The form/confidence has been lost because of that attack. The defence and the midfield will be shaking their heads at how we are out the FA Cup, didn't win there in the league and didn't atleast get a point yesterday. 

That many missed chances then transmits to the rest of the team. Especially when the stakes are high. So they then make mistakes too. Missing chance after chance builds its own pressure, in a title race it's magnified.

Going 1 behind 23 times is as big an issue and that's on Klopp. When you are always chasing just to get back into a game that's pressure enough. The bad starts are beyond a joke, we are all sick of it but to keep doing it after all this time is a coaching issue.

16 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Pressure is not off though is it? We are not 6 points behind, we are 2 points behind with a similar (ish) GD to City. The pressure is well & truly on because we cannot seem to be able to score now.

I wish I can share your optimism, I just cannot see us winning the next 6 - we have drawn 2 and lost 1 in our last 5 games. 

While there is a mathematical chance of winning it  I'm not throwing the towel in , but obviously we have to improve,  I'd be getting Danns into the squad and seeing if he can take a few of the chances we create , even if it's from the bench 

The «mentality monsters» thing is a myth. 

Ok, we have done many comebacks in important matches during a season, in situations where we have been outsiders for the title. But we never stand the test when we are close to the line, especially not when it is ours to lose.

Many say that City won it by scoring three goals against Villa in 5  minutes in may 2022. The fact is they would have won it anyway. After Mane scored in the 24th minute we had 1-1 at home against Wolves. Villa took the lead against City after 39 minutes, meaning we would be champions if we scored against Wolves. Villa later went 2 up, but we were nowhere near scoring. We played with our shoulders above our head, everything was flat and nervy. We could have played 5 hours without scoring.

Then City scored three in 5 minutes, and we no longer had anything to lose. We started playing without nerves and scored two more.

The only way for this team to win league is to create a big lead on the table top, like in the title winning season. 

18 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

We play twice before Man City play next in the League. Four games in 11 days for them. 

Screenshot-20240414-184916-Chrome.jpg

De Bruyne gets injured anywhere in that run and we might have something.

14 hours ago, an tha said:

As much as I and I am sure we all would like to see it, the idea that abu dhabi are going to receive a meaningful punishment is IMHO fanciful.

That being the case, and I share your pessimism, I propose we simply buy the nastiest players on Earth and kick the fucking shit out of them twice a season. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I am not confident about winning the next game, never mind next 6. I just cannot see us flicking a switch and start playing well suddenly, it could happen of course but I just cannot see it. The team looks shattered mentally & physically.

Enough with the excuses already. 

Enough. 

We had a crucial run in and a couple of our players didn't eat or drink in the run up to a game.  

Fucking nonsense. 

You are welcome to do it lads, but there's no way you should be getting near an evening game at this level without drinking water. 

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Going 1 behind 23 times is as big an issue and that's on Klopp. When you are always chasing just to get back into a game that's pressure enough. The bad starts are beyond a joke, we are all sick of it but to keep doing it after all this time is a coaching issue.

I agree, but Klopp and Linjders haven't become bad coaches over night. The players are to blame for these slow starts. What's on Klopp is that he signed these players. Endo & Mac Allister are pretty slow and the attackers are pretty brainless. 

If they can't carry out the game plan, keep the ball, track runners, press correctly it all falls down pretty fast. 

2 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Pressure is not off though is it? We are not 6 points behind, we are 2 points behind with a similar (ish) GD to City. The pressure is well & truly on because we cannot seem to be able to score now.

I wish I can share your optimism, I just cannot see us winning the next 6 - we have drawn 2 and lost 1 in our last 5 games. 

Tbh mate our squad knows city more than anybody. They've chased them down to see them win every game twice (and win them effortlessly)

Our team will wake up today and have a feeling that it's probably over. Not a feeling that we are still in with a great shout. So the pressure will be off in that respect.

Add to that Jota, Trent and Alisson will get some more minutes and match sharpness against Atlanta. I think those 3 will make a huge difference and we'll win the next 6. 

But I just don't see city dropping points. They are on for another treble. They will be fully focused now.

Our only hope is if City and Arsenal meet each other in the champions league semi final. Those games take it out of you. It might make city drop points somewhere.

55 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

De Bruyne gets injured anywhere in that run and we might have something.

It’s unlikely we’ll even beat Fulham next Sunday, Kev. 

I don’t think City will drop anything, but even if they do ourselves or Arsenal won’t capitalise.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Enough with the excuses already. 

Enough. 

We had a crucial run in and a couple of our players didn't eat or drink in the run up to a game.  

Fucking nonsense. 

You are welcome to do it lads, but there's no way you should be getting near an evening game at this level without drinking water. 

I thought athletes have special provision for Ramadan, like allowances due to the extra demands? I’m not sure like.

The fact is though if you sign a Muslim player this should be taken in to account, you can’t expect them to alter their faith due to a tricky game. 

Even as somebody who is always positive, I’m struggling to see us do it now. 

I can’t believe the chances we’ve missed over the past 2 games. 

Stranger things have happened, but, I’m struggling to see how we do it from here.

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

That being the case, and I share your pessimism, I propose we simply buy the nastiest players on Earth and kick the fucking shit out of them twice a season. 

A fine idea

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

What are the Hanson lads from Slapshot doing these days ?