You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

12 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Geertruida and Kudus would be a good window.

Would it? Just those 2? Not for me. 

Kudus has done well in the Prem especially for his first season but he's hardly taken the league by storm.

& then you have a guy who's relatively unknown who'll likely play as back up.

Just now, Binomial said:

Would it? Just those 2? Not for me. 

Kudus has done well in the Prem especially for his first season but he's hardly taken the league by storm.

& then you have a guy who's relatively unknown who'll likely play as back up.

To whom?

With everyone (current squad for next season ) else staying that would be a fair chunk of change on two guys who would feature in the first 11 methinks.

26 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Geertruida and Kudus would be a good window.

Geertruida is surely only a option if Trent moves into midfield. Can't hold Bradley back next year by putting another player taking minutes off him.  A left footed CB would be more of a need i would have thought. 

A true number 6 is probably needed but we probably need to sell a midfielder or two first

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Joe Gomez did this season what Geertruida would do. Would seem redundant. 

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Geertruida is surely only a option if Trent moves into midfield. Can't hold Bradley back next year by putting another player taking minutes off him.  A left footed CB would be more of a need i would have thought. 

A true number 6 is probably needed but we probably need to sell a midfielder or two first

Unless we’re planning on using Geertuida as a full time centre back, I would tend to agree. 

We already have Gomez as a utility across the back 4. 

I might be wrong, I just think with Slot coming from Feyenord it’s 2+2=5.

8 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Howie has zero interest in Trent.

Does anybody know enough of Amara Nallo to suggest he could make the step up from the academy to the first team next season? 

Turns 18 in November, left footed, 6’1 (although likely not finished growing), apparently fast, good on the ball and has an incredible leap on him. Made the bench a couple of times this season. 

Not saying he’d challenge for a first team place straight away, could he be used as 5th choice in an emergency? 

19 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea, just add some golas and assists in there. He would get a look in at the DM as well imo.

If Geertruida could play 6 consistently a high level, that would be sorely needed, but that would be very surprising. I think he's meant to be exactly what Gomez is, is he not? Right back, centre back, inverts, steps in at 6. 

3 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Does anybody know enough of Amara Nallo to suggest he could make the step up from the academy to the first team next season? 

Turns 18 in November, left footed, 6’1 (although likely not finished growing), apparently fast, good on the ball and has an incredible leap on him. Made the bench a couple of times this season. 

Not saying he’d challenge for a first team place straight away, could he be used as 5th choice in an emergency? 

He would be further down than that until we sell someone

Tyler Morton would be ahead of him for a start after a good season at Hull and having played in a 2 man midfield in a similar formation. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

exactly what Gomez is, is he not? Right back, centre back, inverts, steps in at 6. 

Love me some Joe but maybe more like the player Gomez could have been without the injuries. Better going forward as well.

Pretty short memories on the overall opinions of Gomez' quality and availability here tbh. 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Love me some Joe but maybe more like the player Gomez could have been without the injuries. Better going forward as well.

Pretty short memories on the overall opinions of Gomez' quality and availability here tbh. 

If we were signing Geertruida, I think we'd have to get rid of Gomez, which is fine, but not sure that’s priority.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not short at all. It's quite simple. Joe Gomez is what Joe Gomez is for us. A non starter. A fill in. Bench players as you like to call them.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Or Tsimikas. Would prefer that tbh.

We would need another left back then. Reading about Slot tactics he wants his fullbacks to push wide in the final third to get the ball in the box, last thing you need with that would be a right footed leftback cutting back inside and slowing the play down

5 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

He would be further down than that until we sell someone

Tyler Morton would be ahead of him for a start after a good season at Hull and having played in a 2 man midfield in a similar formation. 

You’ve confused him with Trey Nyoni.

Nallo is a centre back. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

We would need another left back then. Reading about Slot tactics he wants his fullbacks to push wide in the final third to get the ball in the box, last thing you need with that would be a right footed leftback cutting back inside and slowing the play down

The stuff I've read / watched say he tucks both full backs in narrow and it's the two wingers who stay wide to get 1v1s with the full back.

Then again I've also read that he plays an inverted right back and I've read that he doesn't. So either people are talking bollocks or he's pretty flexible in his tactical approach and isn't married to one way of playing like Amorim.

4 minutes ago, dave u said:

The stuff I've read / watched say he tucks both full backs in narrow and it's the two wingers who stay wide to get 1v1s with the full back.

Then again I've also read that he plays an inverted right back and I've read that he doesn't. So either people are talking bollocks or he's pretty flexible in his tactical approach and isn't married to one way of playing like Amorim.

The second part is similar to what ive read. Both stay inside but when the team gets forward they are expected to then get wide as he likes to flood the box. 

I guess we will see soon enough

Regular full-backs Marcus Pedersen and Quilindschy Hartman would remain deep in the build-up, but then support in more advanced areas as play progressed up the pitch. Here, the double pivot would support underneath to restart attacking moves or switch play. With Feyenoord’s right-winger often moving inside to support the number 10 earlier than the equivalent in Slot’s AZ team, the resulting midfield box could overload opposing central-midfield trios. This gave the double pivot the opportunity to break lines centrally as well as dominate the ball in the first phase of the build-up.

Attacking quartets

At AZ, Slot’s double pivot supported underneath the main attacking quartet of number 10, two wide attackers and centre-forward. The full-backs started deep and wide, to eventually support with delayed runs as the front four narrowed. In the 2019/20 Eredivisie season, full-backs Jonas Svensson and Owen Wijndal provided 44 per cent of the team’s crosses

My 3 minute research confirms this.

Is Henderson injured? Guy doesn't even make the bench for Ajax.

51 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

To whom?

With everyone (current squad for next season ) else staying that would be a fair chunk of change on two guys who would feature in the first 11 methinks.

Geertruida under Slot has played 90% of his games at RB, so you think he'll bench Trent and Bradley straight away?

Kudus displaces Salah if he stays next season? We need a player in the mould and the quality of Odegaard/Bernardo/Wirtz/Musiala.

& we also need a reliable starting CB and DM. Endo/Baj are good options but not regulars in a title winning side.

2 minutes ago, Binomial said:

Geertruida under Slot has played 90% of his games at RB, so you think he'll bench Trent and Bradley straight away?

Kudus displaces Salah if he stays next season?

We need a reliable starting CB and DM.

I don't think we will see Trent as a RB next season.

Imo if Mo stays and the team is going to be effective he moves infield.