You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Xabi Alonso: Welcome back to Anfield.

Elite

28 minutes ago, Razoray said:

5 points behind a bad Liverpool side. 

Under De Zerbi they got 49 points from 32 games last season and have 1.5 points per game this season. And his average ppg is reducing all the time as Brighton's form is regressing. He has averaged a 57 point season since he has been there. That gets an 8th place finish in the Premier League, on average. Moyes, Martinez, Nuno Holy Spirit, Sam Allardye etc have all gone managed 60 games with a similar ppg.

How the fuck does De Zerbi deserve to be mentioned in the same bracket as League winning managers? 

You forgot the part where he rivaled Man City for attacking threat, while turning a profit. Clearly something the scrubs you mentioned could do.

while turning a profit. 

Nothing at all to do w de Zerbi though. 

The four seasons after they came up they had burned through @ 250 mil.

It's a club that was spending in the single digits of millions before that.

Whoever bought them Cucurella made them 50 mil in 12 months.

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

while turning a profit. 

Nothing at all to do w de Zerbi though. 

The four seasons after they came up they had burned through @ 250 mil.

It's a club that was spending in the single digits of millions before that.

Whoever bought them Cucurella made them 50 mil in 12 months.

There's enough absolute nonsense being said about De Zerbi, you could have let the semantics slide here.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There's enough absolute nonsense being said about De Zerbi, you could have let the semantics slide here.

Yea, but of the names being bandied about he is one who has benefitted massively from the structure in place.

Nagelsman a close second w both Leipzeig and Bayern imo.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dave u said:

If I wasn't so certain he's going to Madrid next year I'd agree. If this time next year he's turning down Madrid to stay at Leverkusen then yeah, good on him. He won't though.

Hasn't got the balls to take the job now when we need him, he should never be offered the chance again.

C'mon, that's not right is it.

First, we don't 'need' him. He would have been great, but it's not exactly as if we're shining the bat signal.

And second -  if he's choosing to stay at Leverkusen till Ancelotti leaves then fair fucks to him. To think we are above Madrid in his mind is pure fantasy.

I like De Zerbi, but he has a better line on potent South American profit than Propositiin Joe. 

Anything we do from hereon in is a massive punt, given that Don Carlo is contracted for 2 more years. Gut feeling is that De Zerbi is the least worst option.

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

5 points behind a bad Liverpool side. 

Under De Zerbi they got 49 points from 32 games last season and have 1.5 points per game this season. And his average ppg is reducing all the time as Brighton's form is regressing. He has averaged a 57 point season since he has been there. That gets an 8th place finish in the Premier League, on average. Moyes, Martinez, Nuno Holy Spirit, Sam Allardye etc have all gone managed 60 games with a similar ppg.

How the fuck does De Zerbi deserve to be mentioned in the same bracket as League winning managers? 

I'm not on the De Zerbi train here, but it's disingenuous to just handwave away a fully Klopp built team, under the management of the man himself as a "bad Liverpool side" like it's something completely out of his control, but then not allowing for the same logic for a "bad Brighton side" which had a lot of their best players nicked and are currently in the rebuild stage again. 

3 hours ago, an tha said:

I just could never see Ancelotti as our manager.

It isn't even that i dislike him - just could never see it myself.

Apart from one spell at Milan he never stays anywhere long either.

Not saying you were necessarily advocating him as our manager by the way...

He was interviewed innNew York along with Klopp when we were looking to replace Rodgers , so it could well have happened.

6 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Didn't fsg sack 3 managers in the space of,like 6 years?

I don't know the exact timeline off the top of my head, but Hodgson was inherited as far as I remember. The club was in litigation to get it away from Hicks and Gillette who fired Rafa and Broughton brought in Hodgson, who was sacked pretty much as soon as they could do it. Kenny ended up as an interim replacement that got given a season because of the results he got after Hodgson then got sacked himself probably because FSG wanted their own man in anyway. Then we got Rodgers reign and he was sacked early in his 3rd or 4th season and in came Klopp who's now leaving of his own accord.

4 hours ago, Aventus said:

I'm not on the De Zerbi train here, but it's disingenuous to just handwave away a fully Klopp built team, under the management of the man himself as a "bad Liverpool side" like it's something completely out of his control, but then not allowing for the same logic for a "bad Brighton side" which had a lot of their best players nicked and are currently in the rebuild stage again. 

I agree that Brighton are rebuilding after the loss of Caicedo and Mac Allister but they are getting worse during the rebuild. 

Brighton will always be rebuilding. That is what they are. If they are getting worse during the rebuild then is the manager worthy of praise?

7 hours ago, an tha said:

I just could never see Ancelotti as our manager.

It isn't even that i dislike him - just could never see it myself.

Apart from one spell at Milan he never stays anywhere long either.

Not saying you were necessarily advocating him as our manager by the way...

Ancelotti has basically made it his mission to destroy us every chance he gets after Istanbul. I don't think it'll ever happen but I could see him wanting to manage us just because of that, he definitely respects the clubs history and fanbase. The issue with him is timing. He's almost certainly not leaving Real to come here of his accord and it's unlikely he gets fired because he's comfortably winning in La Liga and they're always in with a shout in the Champion's League.

11 minutes ago, Razoray said:

I agree that Brighton are rebuilding after the loss of Caicedo and Mac Allister but they are getting worse during the rebuild. 

Brighton will always be rebuilding. That is what they are. If they are getting worse during the rebuild then is the manager worthy of praise?

De Zerbi's had one season to rebuild. Most teams don't turn it around as fast as we did this season. Klopp himself mentioned that in his presser after the leaving announcement if I'm not mistaken. "It's the players fault, I didn't expect them to be this good so quickly", that's a not a verbatim quote but he said something to that effect. I don't know who should be our next manager, I voted Amorim because that's who I think it will be, but in reality there's no "low risk" option out there.

21 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

De Zerbi's had one season to rebuild. Most teams don't turn it around as fast as we did this season. Klopp himself mentioned that in his presser after the leaving announcement if I'm not mistaken. "It's the players fault, I didn't expect them to be this good so quickly", that's a not a verbatim quote but he said something to that effect. I don't know who should be our next manager, I voted Amorim because that's who I think it will be, but in reality there's no "low risk" option out there.

I have nothing against De Zerbi, except the stats and his hair.

He took a side that came 9th the previous season, to 6th and now they are 8th and sliding. They got 13 points from the opening 6 games last season,  before Potter left, and finished just 3 points ahead of 9th place Brentford, so last season De Zerbi wasn't all that either. 

If he was English, and the football wasn't so easy on the eye, he would be spoken about similar to David Moyes/Eddie Howe.

I hope he goes to Bayern.

I was talking to my mate last night, although I’m not a fan of him personally, I think the way we’re turning our noses at De Zerbi is somewhat unfair. Breaking some of it down…

The two best managers in the league, Klopp and Guardiola, couldn’t talk in higher terms about him. 

The 3 times we played Brighton last season (and arguably the one this season) Brighton have been the better side. 

He’s beaten / been incredibly competitive against all the big sides - beat us, beat Arsenal, beat the mancs, beat Spurs, pushed Man City hard etc. 

He had his central midfield sold in the summer and not replaced with anything close to players of similar quality (what we paid for Mac Allister is day light robbery). 

He seems tactically adept - I liked (disliked really) how he put 5 up front against us in October, stretched out back 4 and really pushed for the winner. 

Granted, they’ve not been as good this season. They don’t have the biggest squad, they’ve had lots of injuries and Europe has stretched them further.

…but I also can’t get past I don’t like his hair, his stupid beard, I think he has small man syndrome, our Italian record and ultimately, he looks like a pug.

He could endear himself to me by Brighton playing well & putting up a good fight, but ultimately losing, on Sunday and then beating Arsenal and City at home in the upcoming weeks.

Unless we've convinced ourselves De Zerbi is the next big thing we should steer clear. We're one of the biggest clubs in Europe and we shouldn't be looking at managers who haven't won something recently and are a good story taking a small club and getting them to play above themselves for a period of time. Managing Liverpool requires a different skill set to being the Brighton manager. I've seen Brighton really wet the bed far too many times under De Zerbi.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, an tha said:

Yeah stop gap for a year is just silly.

Whole thing does not worry me that much.

I mean yeah obviously Klopp going is bad, bad news and pretty much anyone we get will likely be a step down - but I honestly trust the club to get it right and like it always has and always will the wheel will keep turning and we'll win shiny silver things again.

Seriously? The club has made two of the worst managerial appointments in our lifetime during FSGs ownership.  Klopp was one of the best, if not second best, in our history but he was an absolute no brainer.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Moo said:

Seriously? The club has made two of the worst managerial appointments in our lifetime during FSGs ownership.  Klopp was one of the best, if not second best, in our history but he was an absolute no brainer.

For a club like Chelsea that might mean something but for a club that traditionally appoints very few managers (and one of those 2 worst managers took us as close to the league as we'd been for a while)....

22 minutes ago, Moo said:

Seriously, always has? The club has made two of the worst managerial appointments in our lifetime during FSGs ownership.  

Calling Dalglish’s re-appointment one of worst managerial appointments in our lifetime is a controversial call. 

Rolling up Edwards (as DoF, not his new role) / Ward / Hughes / whoever into “FSG” is wrong. They are LFC employees. In the last 9 years, they’ve got mostly everything right. 

1 hour ago, Moo said:

The bit you have highlighted was not saying club hvs always got it right.

It was saying 'i trust club to get it right, and like it always has and always will the wheel will keep turning and we'll win shiny things again'

5 hours ago, Razoray said:

Lots of sides get worse during rebuilds. He's also lost mitoma for the chunk of the season where the wheels have absolutely fallen off and it's maybe been one big loss too far. And they've taken on the burden of Europe for the first time. The reality here is the sample size is so small (as it is with Alonso), that unless he wins every game, there's doors open for questions about his competency.