You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

7 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Amorim has never played or managed outside of Portugal. Does he even speak English? 

Lots of managers have never played or managed outside of their country until they do (including Klopp).

Yes he speaks English.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I’m not worried about this Bayern stuff or how SSN having pundits on saying Xabi would prefer Bayern… IMO, it’s a clear attempt from Bayern to destabilise Leverkusen in the run in. 

I’m sure he is on Bayerns radar and they would consider him for the position, however, all this leaking stuff early is a dirty campaign to unsettle their rivals. 

Exactly what I said to the Mrs yesterday when the news broke 

2 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Maybe a bit of both

Think it's a lose lose for him with us. If he wins he's just taken over a ready made job and it's Klopp team, anything but the same success and he's failed. Probably wants to go test himself on his own merits

if he can see any "lose" in taking the Liverpool job, he's not the man for the job. He's a nobody (and that's flattering considering he managed just months in his only role) in managerial terms and he'd have the chance to lead one of the biggest clubs in the world. Anyone worth their salt would see that as the opportunity of a lifetime and shouldn't take more than a second to accept. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

And she repled 'Haven't you still got painting to finish? All you think about is bloody football!

Haha I'm lucky mate she loves football and is a Liverpool fan. She would say sod the painting the footie is on.

The hoop jumping and mental gymnastics people are putting themselves through in trying to justify why managers can or can't manage us is mental and riddled with contradictory thinking, it's unlike anything I've seen in the past (or maybe it just seems that way because we tend not to have to do it too often).

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

Lots of managers have never played or managed outside of their country until they do (including Klopp).

Yes he speaks English.

Fair point on Klopp. Seems fine with his English as well. 

Klopp took Dortmund to the Champions League final before joining us though. That’s the kind of thing that means you can overlook a lack of experience outside of their home country. 

48 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

The hoop jumping and mental gymnastics people are putting themselves through in trying to justify why managers can or can't manage us is mental and riddled with contradictory thinking, it's unlike anything I've seen in the past (or maybe it just seems that way because we tend not to have to do it too often).

Sounds a bit like you on the Darwin thread though.  

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Yes he speaks English.

We could get Sporting in the next round of the Europa, interesting to see how they get on regardless.

I might be wrong but Xabi wasn’t really a fans favourite at Bayern was he?

Guardiola signed him and Bayern were never really fans of that style of play, they wanted more heavy metal football, not the possession based style he plays. 

Ancelotti didn’t work out, he only lasted just over a season and then Xabi retired. 

I might be wrong, I feel this emotional tie Alonso has to Bayern would be significantly less than he had with us. 

Talk is Edwards would come back if he is in total control of football operations. Sounds like he didn't like Klopp power overshadowing him. Not sure about it to be honest. Some reports said Xabi liked us over Bayern as he'd have no control at Bayern. Ultimately the manager should have the final say

24 minutes ago, aws said:

Twitter is awash today with rumours that we’re getting Alonso and Michael Edwards as sporting director.  Haven’t seen any credible source though. 

Its also awash with Salah signing a contract to Saudi. 

Source- Mido.

Fuck giving Edwards fully control. I think his abilities have been vastly overstated. Klopp makes good players great players. We shouldn't be making one person the focal point so when they leave it all goes west. Klopp earned his influence over time and the content of his character is there for all to see. He wanted to leave the club in the best position he could. If the story is even true never take on anyone who demands all the power.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Fowlers God said:

Its also awash with Salah signing a contract to Saudi. 

Source- Mido.

I think it's inevitable. It wouldn't surprise me if we made an agreement with Mo last summer for him to give us one more season then to let him go this summer. 

As gutted as I'll be when he does eventually leave, if we get £100 million+ for a 32 year old that is starting to become more injury prone it does make good business sense to cash in now.  

14 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Fuck giving Edwards fully control. I think his abilities have been vastly overstated. Klopp makes good players great players. We shouldn't be making one person the focal point so when they leave it all goes west. Klopp earned his influence over time and the content of his character is there for all to see. He wanted to leave the club in the best position he could. If the story is even true never take on anyone who demands all the power.

Klopp ended up with all the power and that didn't seem to be a problem for most people.

12 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

I think it's inevitable. It wouldn't surprise me if we made an agreement with Mo last summer for him to give us one more season then to let him go this summer. 

As gutted as I'll be when he does eventually leave, if we get £100 million+ for a 32 year old that is starting to become more injury prone it does make good business sense to cash in now.  

I agree with the last point. But it's up to Mo, moving to Saudi now would be a waste for him. Be very happy if he signed a 1 year rolling extension giving him control of leaving if he wants but protecting us. He can go yto Saudi in 2 years for a smaller fee or on a free

19 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Depends what full control means, and I suspect it's not what some will think it means.

It's probably fair to say that slowly but surely Klopp and Ljinders assumed more and more control over the club but at the beginning it was far more collaborative and relied on all sides coming to a consensus on targets we pursued (see the numerous stories over early signings and alternative targets).

In this instance full control, probably, means more of a Dan Ashworth type role than it does a guy in charge of transfers making signings unchecked.