You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

I never for one moment thought that Gerrard would make a Liverpool manager because, for all his talent, he didn’t strike me as a deep thinker nor someone with the charisma to lead other than by physical example on the pitch.  On the other hand, Alonso strikes me as having the necessary attributes for the job and, despite his limited experience, is worth the risk in the absence of any other outstanding candidates. 

• Upvote 7

31 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

So who wood you suggest then, if you don't mind me asking? 

The point of my post was I don't really currently have an opinion. There is not someone who jumps off the page significantly more than anyone else.

This could change as events unfold this season. You have Xabi, Amorim and Inzaghi all with a chance to beef up their resumes with league titles.

But maybe this does not even matter, as others have said.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The point of my post is I don't really currently have an opinion. There is not someone who jumps off the page significantly more than anyone else.

This could change as events unfold this season. You have Xabi, Amorim and Inzaghi all with a chance to beef up their resumes.

But maybe this does not even matter, as others have said.

You bring up Inzaghi but what has he done barring the one great Champions League run to be in the frame. He took over Inter as Champions and has finished 2nd to a average Milan team, 3rd behind Milan and Napoli and he should win it this year. Italian football is still a mess and last season was just strange with them doing well in Europe. His honours list is just winning the Copa Italia. From reports when he was linked to the mancs he barley speaks English either.

23 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

There were plenty who thought/hoped Gerrard would become Liverpool manager at some point (especially when he was taken under Klopp's wing) can't imagine there were many advocating for it based on his managerial career.

Plenty weren't as well, based on how he played the game and spoke about it. His baffling support for Curbishley/Hodgson and Roy of the Rovers approach whenever we were in trouble didn't really speak to him being a big thinker or someone that saw the game especially well. Once his physical prowess was lost, he was too.

Gerrard was the type of manager that was 100 pct reliant on having a great coaching staff. His status in the game could only carry him so far. He's (fortunately for us) been found out well before him being a candidate for us was even on the table.

12 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

You bring up Inzaghi but what has he done barring the one great Champions League run to be in the frame. He took over Inter as Champions and has finished 2nd to a average Milan team, 3rd behind Milan and Napoli and he should win it this year. Italian football is still a mess and last season was just strange with them doing well in Europe. His honours list is just winning the Copa Italia. From reports when he was linked to the mancs he barley speaks English either.

Inter have scored 49, top of Serie A, have conceded 10, top of Serie A. He could win the league this season as clearly the most complete team in Italy going forward and in defense. 

He improved the club's results in Europe massively taking over from Conte. You can't just brush aside a Champions League final appearance or even the fact he is in the knockouts this year, given what they were doing before he got there.

He's won trophies at both at Lazio and Inter, and he overachieved at Lazio.

He has done this without a big budget. Inter have been a financial mess. Lazio was not rich.

Achievements, possible upcoming achievements, efficacy of his football, taking those things in consideration, it would be weird not to have him be a contender. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lebron said:

Plenty weren't as well, based on how he played the game and spoke about it. His baffling support for Curbishley/Hodgson and Roy of the Rovers approach whenever we were in trouble didn't really speak to him being a big thinker or someone that saw the game especially well. Once his physical prowess was lost, he was too.

Gerrard was the type of manager that was 100 pct reliant on having a great coaching staff. His status in the game could only carry him so far. He's (fortunately for us) been found out well before him being a candidate for us was even on the table.

Not as a preference but as a natural conclusion to career at some point.

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Serious question, can he speak English? I think that needs to be a prerequisite for any manager who comes in. 

Not really no. 

It was brought up a few months ago when he was linked with the mancs. 

I just don't see it with him at all. Serie A is a fucking mess of a league and his run to the Champions league was beating Porto,Benfica and Milan to get to the final. Three clubs who's name far outweigh how good they actually are. 

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Inter have scored 49, top of Serie A, have conceded 10, top of Serie A. He could win the league this season as clearly the most complete team in Italy going forward and in defense. 

He improved the club's results in Europe massively taking over from Conte. You can't just brush aside a Champions League final appearance or even the fact he is in the knockouts this year, given what they were doing before he got there.

He's won trophies at both at Lazio and Inter, and he overachieved at Lazio.

He has done this without a big budget. Inter have been a financial mess. Lazio was not rich.

Achievements, possible upcoming achievements, efficacy of his football, taking those things in consideration, it would be weird not to have him be a contender. 

i agree with this. 

Serie A is a much more competitive league than La liga and the Bundesliga. 

Not to mention getting Inter into the final last year deserves great credit,m granted, they had a slightly favourable draw, but they still got there on their own merit. 

I even remember the season we nearly won the quadruple, inter beat us in Anfield, and played really well over both legs. But i think that was Conte in charge, but i could be wrong. 

i wouldnt be against Inzaghi per se. But i do feel Xabi has that bit of magic dust about him. Much like Guardiola and Klopp do. 

Klopp has everyones number in the "Aura" department, so no point in even looking at that as sonething that needs to be replaced. So all we can look for is someone that can keep the balkl rolling, and knows football inside out. 

I do quite like the look of that Sorting guy as well though. 

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Not really no. 

I just don't see it with him at all. Serie A is a fucking mess of a league and his run to the Champions league was beating Porto,Benfica and Milan to get to the final. Three clubs who's name far outweigh how good they actually are. 

The leagues are all a mess in their own ways and you could poke holes in everyone's resume if you try hard enough. That's kind of the point; someone like Inzaghi is not at all far away from some of these other names.

16 minutes ago, stringvest said:

No.  He's not up to it.

Nobodies saying he is or that the same thinking exists now.

We're talking about a time just after he left as a player and while he was under the wing of Klopp, almost everyone thought, at some point, he'd turn up as a Liverpool manager one day (whether they thought it would turn out well or not).

His career choices (and performance) as a manager since then means nobody now thinks that and it would take a pretty remarkable turn around for him to be back in the frame.

4 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

i agree with this. 

Serie A is a much more competitive league than La liga and the Bundesliga. 

Not to mention getting Inter into the final last year deserves great credit,m granted, they had a slightly favourable draw, but they still got there on their own merit. 

I even remember the season we nearly won the quadruple, inter beat us in Anfield, and played really well over both legs. But i think that was Conte in charge, but i could be wrong. 

i wouldnt be against Inzaghi per se. But i do feel Xabi has that bit of magic dust about him. Much like Guardiola and Klopp do. 

Klopp has everyones number in the "Aura" department, so no point in even looking at that as sonething that needs to be replaced. So all we can look for is someone that can keep the balkl rolling, and knows football inside out. 

I do quite like the look of that Sorting guy as well though. 

It was Inzaghi in charge when we played them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It was Inzaghi in charge when we played them.

if im not mistaken, they where the first team to beat us in a full Anfield in about 4 years. And they where well worth their win that night. 

ive watched a few videos on sporting on youtube, and their manager speaks perfect English, i think they're playing tomorrow evening, so ill see if i can find the game on the dodgy box and see how they set up..........just in case Billy Hogan or mike Gordon are looking for any insight 

On 27/01/2024 at 02:10, Turkish Delight said:

I don't want de Zerbi. Brighton are wide open to the counter by any shit team that wants to play deep and break on them and it's a weakness that's never improved.

He's not the level we need. Other than Xabi nobody is really other than maybe Tuchel.

Whoever it will be will be some steps down on Jurgen.

Pochettino is probably kicking himself right now that he took the Chelsea job.

36 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Not really no. 

Ta.

As someone pointed out earlier ( @3 Stacks ?) there's not a couple of stand out candidates like last time. The worrying thing it's not dissimilar to the search they had when ended with Rodgers. And come this summer, Barca, the mancs and Chelsea will all likely be looking for a new manager too. It could be a scramble for what's out there. 

3 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Pochettino is probably kicking himself right now that he took the Chelsea job.

He won't last beyond this summer unless results buck up. He'll be at the mancs next season I reckon..

• Upvote 1

Given that Klopp seemingly told FSG of his intention in November, would it be beyond reasoning to expect that the prospective Manager/Coach would be in FSG’s sights? Or might even have been approached already?

Also, I saw a comment in a post that one reason Klopp has resigned was because he wanted more control and FSG refused him. Where has that come from?

1 minute ago, coachpotato said:

Given that Klopp seemingly told FSG of his intention in November, would it be beyond reasoning to expect that the prospective Manager/Coach would be in FSG’s sights? Or might even have been approached already?

Also, I saw a comment in a post that one reason Klopp has resigned was because he wanted more control and FSG refused him. Where has that come from?

Short of giving him the club I'm not sure there's much more control he could have.

2 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Someone’s fertile imagination probably. 

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Apparently the Twitter saying arteta is chucking it in the summer too. Is he after the Barca job?

He'd be silly to take it. 

Barcelona certainly armt going to give him the time or the 650ml in 4 years to spend that Arsenal have