You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Winter Break Special

On 17/01/2024 at 03:35, The-Sir said:

Great pod. But damn! I've just thought of a great question that needs answering at some point :

We manage to get to a final this season and it goes to pens. It goes to sudden death. Darwin steps up - what's going through your head? 

"Well, we had a good run to the final"

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dan Vito Corleone said:

These pods are great by the way - we should have a plan for summer to do several shows like this. Especially with the Euros, there'll be loads to talk about. It can be like a This was the week that was in digital format! 

Might keep @Arnaud happy. 

• Haha 1

The penalty chat was interesting. 

When the question was asked, Aldo never even entered my mind and given he’s one of my favourite all time Liverpool players that surprises me. But I still remember the penalty miss in the 1988 Cup Final like it was yesterday.  I was so angry at Aldo as we’d had something like 14 penalties that season and he went the same way on every single one of them so it was a save waiting to happen. I think my subconscious has never forgiven him, despite my love for the man. 

On 17/01/2024 at 11:57, Dan Vito Corleone said:

All the shade about my goal kicks is perfectly fair, but to mitigate it:

- I can throw the ball further than most people can kick it. Huerlio Gomes modelled his game on me. 

- My penalty saving record was amazing, I saved 3 out of 4 I faced for TLW. 

Part of the goalkeepers union here, I was a great shot stopper for my school team but also couldn't kick for toffee and had to get the defenders to do it for me. Just our luck that this pass it out from the back nonsense came about win the winters of our "careers".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

Part of the goalkeepers union here, I was a great shot stopper for my school team but also couldn't kick for toffee and had to get the defenders to do it for me. Just our luck that this pass it out from the back nonsense came about win the winters of our "careers".

Remmie knows. When we were coming through, none of this pass around the back or use the goalkeepers as a quarterback existed. To be a goalkeeper, you had to be a great shotstopper and everything else could go hang. Some goalkeepers used to command their box but that wasn't me. That's what centre halves are for. 

Loved the nostalgia, and particularly the comparisons made by Paul between the match in the 80s and today.

I started going the match very young - from the late 70s.  I have the full set of programmes from the 78/79 season.  I was very fortunate.

I started going without my dad and with my mates instead about the same time - mid-80s.

Like yourself, Paul, I remember vividly those games when the crowd were chanting 20 minutes before kick off.  That feeling of anticipation was so exciting.  We were so good back then, the connection between the players and crowd was an unbreakable bond.  They made our lives better and we loved them for it.  In turn, they loved us for our unwavering support.

Yes, EVERY player had a song.  We'd sing it, and they'd acknowledge us.  I always remember players like Lawro being gutted if we didn't get to his before we had to kick off.  He seemed to be the player I recall being "missed out" having a clear chant.  But if he'd managed to score a crucial goal away on the Wednesday or whatever, we'd have a go at a chant on the Saturday. 

Even if it was a quiet chant, the players would seemingly listen out for it and couldn't wait to acknowledge it!

Nowadays, a lot of the players acknowledge their families who are in the hospitality parts of the Main Stand.  I remember Phil Thompson used to wave to his brother in the Kop!  Every match.

But yes, there were downsides.  The smell was awful, the fact that your socks were always wet when you got home, and the violence outside the ground.  But these were all just seen as part of the deal of supporting Liverpool.

I do envy you lads who get to see them every week nowadays, as the football is brilliant.  But I also wouldn't swap seeing Kenny, Emlyn, Souey, and my favourite player Stevie Heighway for the world. 

These are impossible comparisons, of course.  But yeah, life, eh.  It's just the way it is.

• Upvote 15

1 hour ago, razor said:

Loved the nostalgia, and particularly the comparisons made by Paul between the match in the 80s and today.

I started going the match very young - from the late 70s.  I have the full set of programmes from the 78/79 season.  I was very fortunate.

I started going without my dad and with my mates instead about the same time - mid-80s.

Like yourself, Paul, I remember vividly those games when the crowd were chanting 20 minutes before kick off.  That feeling of anticipation was so exciting.  We were so good back then, the connection between the players and crowd was an unbreakable bond.  They made our lives better and we loved them for it.  In turn, they loved us for our unwavering support.

Yes, EVERY player had a song.  We'd sing it, and they'd acknowledge us.  I always remember players like Lawro being gutted if we didn't get to his before we had to kick off.  He seemed to be the player I recall being "missed out" having a clear chant.  But if he'd managed to score a crucial goal away on the Wednesday or whatever, we'd have a go at a chant on the Saturday. 

Even if it was a quiet chant, the players would seemingly listen out for it and couldn't wait to acknowledge it!

Nowadays, a lot of the players acknowledge their families who are in the hospitality parts of the Main Stand.  I remember Phil Thompson used to wave to his brother in the Kop!  Every match.

But yes, there were downsides.  The smell was awful, the fact that your socks were always wet when you got home, and the violence outside the ground.  But these were all just seen as part of the deal of supporting Liverpool.

I do envy you lads who get to see them every week nowadays, as the football is brilliant.  But I also wouldn't swap seeing Kenny, Emlyn, Souey, and my favourite player Stevie Heighway for the world. 

These are impossible comparisons, of course.  But yeah, life, eh.  It's just the way it is.

fantastic post. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, razor said:

I was too young to go on the old Kop. My first time was 95/96 I think. We beat Chelsea 5-1. Before then, from 89, my godfather had only taken me in the main stand and the brand new Centenary Stand.

I've thought until quite recently I would have loved to have been in the old Kop. But stuff like this makes me think "nah you're alright ta!" I'm too soft.

But then again, I spent my entire university years in The Krazyhouse on Wood St. so I'm very familiar with that feeling. And I loved that.

At least if you went on the old Kop you wouldn't wake up next to something that looked like Danny De Vito in Batman Returns you thought was a double for Dita von Teese 6 hours previously..

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Those Krazyhouse bogs weren't up to much, Chris, but at least people used them rather than just slashing where they stood!

I definitely remember old fellas getting passed down to the St John's at the front of the Kop.  Lots of lost kids got passed back up as well - as Paul said, you'd sometimes land 20 feet or more from where you started when we scored a goal.  When the Kop had re-settled, Dads would be shouting, or some bloke would lift a kid above his head and wait for someone to claim him.

Steam is another thing I remember.  Especially on a packed Kop for a midweek game in winter.

I'll stop now before I go all jumpers for goalposts....

• Upvote 3

On 18/01/2024 at 17:38, JohnnyH said:

The penalty chat was interesting. 

When the question was asked, Aldo never even entered my mind and given he’s one of my favourite all time Liverpool players that surprises me. But I still remember the penalty miss in the 1988 Cup Final like it was yesterday.  I was so angry at Aldo as we’d had something like 14 penalties that season and he went the same way on every single one of them so it was a save waiting to happen. I think my subconscious has never forgiven him, despite my love for the man. 

Maybe my memory is playing tricks with me but the BBC had a guy on the Wimbledon bus on the way to the game,  as they did at the time, and Beasant was asked what he would do if Aldo got a pen. He blatantly said that Aldo always went to the keepers left after the stutter, if the keeper didn’t go early, and that Beasant was going to wait and then go left.

Maybe the BBC didn’t play that bit before the game, but it is still mad that the keeper told the world what he would do, and then did it, and made the biggest/most famous penalty save in English football history (at the time). 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Chris said:

I was too young to go on the old Kop. My first time was 95/96 I think. We beat Chelsea 5-1. Before then, from 89, my godfather had only taken me in the main stand and the brand new Centenary Stand.

I've thought until quite recently I would have loved to have been in the old Kop. But stuff like this makes me think "nah you're alright ta!" I'm too soft.

But then again, I spent my entire university years in The Krazyhouse on Wood St. so I'm very familiar with that feeling. And I loved that.

At least if you went on the old Kop you wouldn't wake up next to something that looked like Danny De Vito in Batman Returns you thought was a double for Dita von Teese 6 hours previously..

I was on the Kop this game as well. Didn't Andy Myers score an absolutely comedy own goal? 

12 hours ago, razor said:

Those Krazyhouse bogs weren't up to much, Chris, but at least people used them rather than just slashing where they stood!

I definitely remember old fellas getting passed down to the St John's at the front of the Kop.  Lots of lost kids got passed back up as well - as Paul said, you'd sometimes land 20 feet or more from where you started when we scored a goal.  When the Kop had re-settled, Dads would be shouting, or some bloke would lift a kid above his head and wait for someone to claim him.

Steam is another thing I remember.  Especially on a packed Kop for a midweek game in winter.

I'll stop now before I go all jumpers for goalposts....

Steam!!! Yes! I’d totally forgotten that until you mentioned it. Ha, ha, ha!!! Brilliant fucking memories. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Dan Vito Corleone said:

I was on the Kop this game as well. Didn't Andy Myers score an absolutely comedy own goal? 

I remember it for a Paddy Berger brace and Barnes having a great game in centre mid, but that sounds vaguely familiar. 

7 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

How does Dave pronounce Thierry Henry? 

He'll say it's Ti-err-y en-ree and then find some weird justification about it being fine because you don't sound like a knobhead for this particular correct pronunciation.

It's not an exact science, it just depends on what I'm comfortable saying. If I think I sound like a pretentious tit, I'm not doing it. So I pronounce Thierry Henry's name correctly, as I do most French pronunciations.

Saying "kwa-sonnn" is not something I'm going to do as it just doesn't work with my accent. If you pronounce like that and you're not French, you either sound like a pretentious wanker, or you sound like Tony Angelino from Only Fools & Horses.

As I've said before though, unless you pronounce Paris as "Pareeeee" then I'm not taking shade from you as it's a massive double standard.

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

It's not an exact science, it just depends on what I'm comfortable saying. If I think I sound like a pretentious tit, I'm not doing it. So I pronounce Thierry Henry's name correctly, as I do most French pronunciations.

Saying "kwa-sonnn" is not something I'm going to do as it just doesn't work with my accent. If you pronounce like that and you're not French, you either sound like a pretentious wanker, or you sound like Tony Angelino from Only Fools & Horses.

As I've said before though, unless you pronounce Paris as "Pareeeee" then I'm not taking shade from you as it's a massive double standard.

That's not the correct pronunciation anyway so wouldn't worry about not saying it like that.

• dave u unpinned this topic